1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2012 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Jan 11, 2012.

1. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Delino DeShields setting the tone early for Lancaster.

2. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Your 2012 California League Champions.... the Lancaster Jethawks!!!!!

They defeated Modesto 3-2, getting the sweep in the process. Delino DeShields led off the bottom of the 1st with a solo homer. He also had a 1-out single in the 3rd, then proceeded to steal 2nd, and came around to score on a Domingo Santana infield single. Right after that, Erik Castro chipped in with an RBI single that scored Jio Mier.

Colton Cain went 5 innings and allowed 2 runs on 4 hits and struck out 3. Pat Urckfitz allowed a hit, walked 1, and struck out 3 in 2 scoreless innings. Jorge De Leon allowed a hit and struck out 2 in 1 2/3, and he left it up to Kenny Long to get the final out.... which he did.

Also, Lancaster has re-upped for 2 more years with Houston as the Class A Advanced affiliate. On the other hand, the Astros will now be looking for a new Class A affiliate, as they have decided to part ways with Lexington.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Astros no longer affiliated with @<a href="https://twitter.com/lexingtonlegend">lexingtonlegend</a> club. So long, farewell, Auf Wiedersehen, goodbye. @<a href="https://twitter.com/subber10">subber10</a></p>&mdash; C Riddle (@TheGrandOldGame) <a href="https://twitter.com/TheGrandOldGame/status/247189745975844864" data-datetime="2012-09-16T04:26:42+00:00">September 16, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

As it stands, Hagerstown is the only team in the South Atlantic League whose player development contract ends this season. They have a new ballpark in the works, so that leads me to believe that they'll stick with the Nationals.

On the other hand, the Midwest League, the other Class A circuit, has 8 teams up for renewal. They are:

Beloit (Twins)
    Burlington (A's)
    Cedar Rapids (Angels)
    Dayton (Reds)
    Fort Wayne (Padres)
    Kane County (Royals)
    Peoria (Cubs)
    Quad Cities (Cardinals)

3. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

4. Grape_Swisha281

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Was really hoping to stay in the SAL. Only 3 hours to Rome or Savannah for me.

Looks like not only are the Astros not going to playing near me, I can't even catch one of the minor league affiliates. This sucks.

6. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

I mean, there's always Greeneville...

According to the BA article I just linked, today is the first day for clubs to sign new affiliation agreements. They have 2 weeks, so we should expect news on that front soon.

7. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

I have this feeling that Quad Cities will be the new Low-A team. That's just my guess, though.

8. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Fascinating minor league season for the affiliates. Between Lancaster, Corpus and Tri-City, who'd have thunk it that Lancaster would be the team to win a championship?

So many prospects had good seasons, I can see LoA, HiA and AA all contending for their respective championships next season. OKC may have a chance if they get some big contributions from the minor league vets, like Hessman, again.

9. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is something poetic about having both Tri-City and Quad Cities.

10. xcrunner51

News you can use: Quad Cities actually comprises five cities per wikipedia.

As I've gotten busy on my rotations, my interest in the minor leagues has fallen off some. I'm at the point where I don't really care what city the affiliates are in. Still hopes the clubs perform well but it's unimportant whether the LoA club is in Lexington or Vladivostok.

11. juicystream

Greeneville isn't really that close. Really wanted to catch Correa/Ruiz/McCullers.

Quad Cities is the favorite at this point.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Apparently old news just coming out now: Astros won't renew w/ Lexington

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

1 person likes this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

#1974 J.R., Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  15. GraingerGuy

GraingerGuy Member

Random question: What happens to all the prospects that were on the Low A team? Do we lose all of them? Do they get moved into another low A when we finally sign with another city? Do they get redistributed to other ballclubs?

16. juicystream

We keep them.

The players belong to the parent club, not the affiliate. In other words, anyone who would have been assigned to Lexington will be assigned to to the new affiliate instead.

17. xcrunner51

Unless the big league clubs owns the minor league affiliate, the agreement usually goes something like this:

Major League clubs: Runs baseball operations. Provides all players, coaches and instructors. Not sure, but I think the big league club is responsible for all team travel as well.

Local affiliate: Runs the business side. In charge of stadium operations including tickets, concessions, and promotions.

Things that make a good big league affiliate: steady flow of good prospects and coaches that leads to good on the field performance --> fans in the stands

Things that make a good minor league affiliate: good/modern facilities, history of good attendance, stable ownership, proximity (easy call-ups/send-downs).

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rquoter]The #Astros have named IF Delino Deshields Jr. and RHP Mike Foltynewicz their Minor League Player and Pitcher of the Year.[/rquoter]

19. juicystream

Well deserved by both.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Not that it matters...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Lexington Legends sign 4 year <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23PDC">#PDC</a> agreement with @<a href="https://twitter.com/royals">royals</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23future">#future</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23change">#change</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23excited">#excited</a></p>&mdash; Lexington Legends (@LexingtonLegend) <a href="https://twitter.com/LexingtonLegend/status/248784347182817281" data-datetime="2012-09-20T14:03:05+00:00">September 20, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>