1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2011 With the 38th Overall Pick:

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lucnguye92, Dec 27, 2013.

1. lucnguye92

lucnguye92 Member

The Houston Rockets were able to get Chandler Parsons AKA (A myriad of names that pertain to his devilish good looks). He also goes by a lot of other names such as Glue, our 3rd star, Jeremy Lin's BF, etc. A do it all forward that has pumped faked his way into many of our hearts. Currently averaging 17.3 PPG (.522 FG% and .395 3PT%), 3.8 APG, and 5.3 RPG, he has done a lot to help the Rockets to their 20-11 record.

The reason for my post today is to challenge the notion that Chandler Parsons is simply a product from the "Houston Rockets' offensive system." After all, being selected 38th overall in the 2nd round, talent should come too far and too few. So it got me thinking, is it possible to even pick any possible talent from picking so late?

Thanks to http://www.nba.com/draft2008/36-40.html, I was able to do some digging to see all the other late draft picks from 36-40 and identify any notable names that are currently contributing to their respective NBA team. From 2009-2013, I had to use Wikipedia.

Marc Jackson 1997 2 38 Temple Golden State Warriors
    Eduardo Najera 2000 2 38 Oklahoma Houston Rockets
    Mehmet Okur 2001 2 38 Turkey Detroit Pistons
    Steve Blake 2003 2 38 Maryland Washington Wizards
    Chris Duhon 2004 2 38 Duke Chicago Bulls
    Travis Diener 2005 2 38 Marquette Orlando Magic
    Kyrylo Fesenko 2007 2 38 Ukraine Philadelphia 76ers (to Utah)
    Kyle Weaver 2008 2 38 Wash. St. Charlotte Bobcats
    Jon Brockman 2009 2 38 Washington Portland Trailblazers
    Andy Rautins 2010 2 38 Syracuse New York Knicks
    (Yours truly) 2011
    Quincy Miller 2012 2 38 Baylor Denver Nuggets
    Nate Wolters 2013 2 38 S. Dakota St. Washington Wizards

Of these picks, the only players that are still currently in the NBA are Steve Blake (33), Chris Duhon (31), CP25 and Nate Wolters(22). Of these players, Parsons is the only one posting a PER above the 15 mark. Albeit, the latter two are past their prime, the last being a rookie and all of them being PGs. This goes to show how slim the odds were for Daryl Morey to pick an NBA ready forward, readily available to contribute to the rebuilding Houston Rockets.

That's it? Two sub-average PGs? (I will leave Wolters out since he's still a rookie) Is it really possible that any other of these players would have been able to do what CP25 is doing given his current situation? I don't think so. Between the 13 years that I've posted, there were 12 other players in Parson's situation, and not one of them are where he currently is (by that, I mean a major cog to a growing Western Conference team).

So, I honestly believe that Chandler Parsons was truly a gem, a remarkable talent, and a player that any team would love to have. He is simply not a product of the Houston Rockets, but rather a slowly but shining star that will thrive in the league to come. Let's just hope that he remains a Rocket.

(If this is considered an unnecessary thread, or there is a better location to move this to, please do so or lock and I apologize and advance for not taking the time to look for it.)

2. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

:grin:

3. lucnguye92

lucnguye92 Member

Strangely enough, my paragraph on Marc Jackson and Mehmet Okur to comment on how talented players could be found was not included. I apologize again for not checking before I posted. But these are two notable players who were able to contribute and would have been a point to show that while scarce, talent was prevalent with an All-Star (In Me-Mo) being available.

4. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Not sure why you limited your criteria to those picks or players currently playing, but Ginobili at 57th, Arenas at 30th (although not in the NBA) and DeAndre Jordan at 35th come to mind

5. lucnguye92

lucnguye92 Member

Monta Ellis at 40, but I realize that I did severely limited the pool for my search but I thought I could have driven the point home. Although, thank you for providing concrete proof that there are more gems and solid talent to be had, while many ended up out of the NBA into the Euro-leagues.

6. bongman

bongman Member

I am not sure that you needed to drive that point as anybody who knows anything about basketball agrees that CP was indeed a steal for the position on his draft.

Some notables (outside of your parameters)
    - Marc Gasol 48th
    - Isaiah Thomas (last pick of the draft of 2011)
    - Omer Asik (36th)
    - Carl Landry (31st also drafted by our very own)
    - Paul Milsap (36th which most folks here want)
    - Carlos Boozer (35th)
    - Luis Scola (56th)
    - Mo Williams (47th)
    - Trevor Ariza (47th)
    - Michael Redd (43th)

7. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

This is why I prefer Clutchfans.net over any other basketball site.

1 person likes this.
  8. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

the former two*

9. bongman

bongman Member

How can i forget..

Deandre Jordan - 35th
    Pekovic - 30th
    Verajao - 31st

10. pnr

pnr Member

He is very smart and knows what needs to be done to win. Every coach in the NBA would love to have him on his team.

11. T4Buckets

T4Buckets Member

Ginobili also went 57th

12. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

13. bongman

bongman Member

He probably will go down as the BEST steal ever in NBA history.

14. rokit

rokit Member

Patrick Beverley 42nd
    Goran Dragic 45th
    Danny Green 46th
    Lance Stephenson 40th

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I am very disappointed.

[​IMG]

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The highest paid 2nd rounder of all time.

[​IMG]

17. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

How about Rashard Lewis while a little outside the criteria. The third pick in the second a player which I believe Houston past over 3 times, which he as well as I certainly to this could not figure out why.

Was thinking about adding Kendrick Perlins to this list as a result of both he and Lewis being somewhat Houston guys, but not too sure if he was a steal at this point.

18. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Heh. Not sure about Kendrick Perkins, unless by steal you mean he is stealing money.

19. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Exactly!!!

People forget how underrated Cat was.

My damn, he was one of the best players I've seen going left on an isolation.

In the 4th quarter, you could rely on him to single-handedly bring us back into the game or give us the lead.

Poor Cuttino...good guy and his career cut short.

He made the Clippers a threat again back with Sammy. Wish he were still playing. I'll never forgive CD for putting him in the Tmac trade. We could have kept him, but CD wanted a clean slate...so we got Reece Gaines instead.:rolleyes:

20. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

All those second round picks we seem to acquire can occasionally turn into something really good.