1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2011: What should have been

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by The Cat, Dec 31, 2012.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

As I sit here still in stunned disbelief over the Colts game, the one thing I keep coming back to is that last year was this team's biggest Super Bowl window. And one bellyflop from ****** Albert Haynesworth ruined it.

By this point, I think there's a general consensus on Matt and Gary. Neither are bad, but they each have their limitations, as we've hashed out over and over again. And in a coach/QB-driven league, it's tough to consistently contend when you're good but not great at both top positions. The margin of error for the rest of your roster is just so small.

That said, with an elite running game and defense along with favorable matchups, it could be done. The Texans had both of those in 2011, along with a weakened AFC in which the top two teams were New England (awful defense) and Baltimore (Joe Flacco). It was the dream scenario, but a fifth-round rookie QB just wasn't able to guide the ship.

Flash forward a year later, and the dropoff in running game/defense for the Texans is enormous. But perhaps just as importantly, the Patriots upgraded their defense to mediocre and have become a true power, while the Broncos added Peyton Manning to a rapidly developing young defense. There's nothing to suggest any sort of fall for the Pats/Broncos in the foreseeable future, and the Texans' situation with regards to the salary cap and draft positioning will make it very difficult to rebuild the offensive line, linebackers and possibly running back (is Arian declining?) to the position they were in 2011. Good, yes, but not quite elite. And elite is what you need to overcome the limitations of Schaub-Kubiak up top.

My point in all this rambling is that the more I think about it, I really believe 2011 was the year. That was when the window was most open for this era's Texans to win a Super Bowl. It felt like the beginning at the time, but that was our true opportunity... and one QB sneak screwed everything.

**** you, Albert Haynesworth.

1 person likes this.
  2. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

it's 2012. who cares.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Everything that's happened has happened in the past. So who cares about anything?

4. Crutch City

Crutch City Member

Why the Texans fell off :

-Winston/Breisel: right side of line is not the same
    -Leach/Vickers: We need a TRUE FB, move Casey back to TE
    -TEs: no depth
    -WR: need a true #2 option
    -D: too much time on field, mix in a play where you dont send 5-6 after the qb & play man...exposed.
    -Play Calling: very vanilla, what happened to those bootegs with throws back across the field that foster took 70yd to the house?

Bullsh** on Parade

1 person likes this.
  5. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

I actually agree and have had this discussion with some people.

What's more concerning...

...is that Andrew Luck might have just closed that Window for the next 12+ years.

To go from a Division with Peyton Manning...to one with Andrew Luck...is just...Houston Sports.

Welcome to the Future...by way of the Past.

6. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i'm a dejected fan right now. Sofia Vergara could walk right in front in me in her birthday suit and i probably wouldn't care.:(

7. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Losing Schaub before the playoff run in 2011 would be akin to if the Mavs lost Dirk before their title run. Missed out on what could've been a magical season for the Texans. The circumstances that The Cat outlined were painfully true.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I think our defense was elite until we lost Cushing.

**** you Slauson.

9. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Well said.

10. today

today Contributing Member

Agreed... We get beat in coverage ALL THE TIME at the LB position. Close plays over and over that I think Cushing would have broken up or possibly had an INT chance on. We really miss our Pro Bowler =(

11. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

Look Schaub is still Schaub. He couldn't have won it last year. He isn't elite and will never be elite. There was no way we would have beaten New England or NY Giants last year.

At this point I would rather have Alex Smith or Michael Vick. Maybe Kubiak get something more out of them. At least bring them in to push Matt. I also wouldn't mind spending a 1st round draft pick on a future QB. I don't think we can get Geno Smith or Barkley but maybe Tyler Wilson maybe. Last year was the year to pickup a good QB in the draft.

12. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Joe Flacco isn't elite, and he was a dropped Lee Evans touchdown from beating the Patriots in Foxborough and going to the Super Bowl. Flacco torched them because the Patriots were VERY vulnerable. One of the many reasons 2011 was such a huge opportunity.

13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

While I, too, would like a new QB what good is spending a 1st rounder on a QB do when there are other positions on this team that sorely needs an upgrade? If Geno Smith and Matt Barkley are your possible saviors, then this franchise is screwed.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If that's the case then it's time to blow the team up and rebuild around Watt and Cushing.

15. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Houston: Arian Foster, 16 carries, 96 yards, 1 TD, LOSS
    Washington: Alfred Morris, 33 carries, 200 yards, 3 TD, WIN

If you want to know where our running game went, ask Gary K. Don't understand why Arian would ever only get 16 carries.

16. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

One of the biggest weakness from last season to this season is depth issues...

The Texans need major infusion of talent in several key positions:
    1. WR: Last year when Andre Johnson was down, we had no one that could carry the mantel of go to receiver, hence why Jacoby was let go. This year AJ has remained fairly healthy and got on a huge offensive tear down the stretch of the season, however the lack of a true 2ndary receiver has hurt the team.

2. TE depth: As of right now, imagine our situation if OD was hurt. When Garett Graham went down with a concusion, the Texans offense stalled(ie. NE game). It would be a disaster with OD. IMO they need to use Casey in his true position as TE and use Graham in 3TE - 1WR sets.

3. RB depth: This has been Kubiak's most efficient position. Not only has he gotten good value, he has gotten solid production from Arian, Tate, and Forsett. I never have to worry about Kubiak not getting a solid RB

4. OL depth: the issue clearly here is a lack of talent. Other than Meyers and Brown, they just arent talented in our most staple part of our game: the Power running. Last year, Briesel and Winston might not have been the best at pass blocking, but they helped carve out holes in the running game. Their loss was clearly felt down the stretch as our rookies on the Right side have hit a major wall. If the Texans could do it again, i guarantee that they resign these guys and wait with Schaub(wouldve been cheaper extension). We need to explore trade or FA options...

5. DL: This is an example of how one pick makes a huge difference! JJ Watt was a huge win for the mgmt, and he has quickly been the face of our franchise and been everything we hoped Mario Williams shouldve been. NT could use an upgrade, but i like the Cody, Mitchell combo. Personally, i would rather have Mitchell start over Cody. Smith has been real solid, and been an unsung hero. It becomes easier to overlook the lack of our LB production, bc of his play.

6. OLB's: What happened to Connor? Talk about Houdini. He is the poster boy for why our team's LB are not getting the job done...If JJ is getting pressure up the gut, Connor should be terrorizing the edge. He is too athletically gifted to have had this big of a drop off. Talk about losing stock and value after a terrific 2011 campaign. He undercut his own value. Reed, Mercilus, are young and im willing to gamble that theyll pan out.

7. ILB: Cushing needs someone like a Alexander Olgetree(Georgia) Safety converted ILB who is really a tackling machine and can cover. Im sure this guy is on Wade's radar

8. Corners: We need a big guy that can compete and has speed. Infact I really think that this should be our first round pick: Xavier Rhodes(FSU) has the tools and his size is intriguing. JJoe and Kareem can get better, but I rather have Stanford Routt and Rhodes competing for backup time than anything we have now.

9. Safeties: Quinn has been outstanding for most of this season. Manning has been so so. Need depth, but not a high priority right now.

10. Coaching: Special Teams Coach marciano will most likely be fired at the conclusion of this season, unless ST is the reason why we win a playoff game. His time looks like its up. Graham will be gone and cant wait for our 5th Round Kicker from this season to stay healthy. I think he will deliver.

Several needs but my order of importance:
    OL - via Free Agency, CB - 1st round, ILB - Round 2, OL - round 3, DE - 4th round, TE - 5th

17. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

Why the hell did Moon play so conservative with that 35-3 lead? If only.................

At least they did fire Jack Pardee......one thing our pervious owner had no problem doing.....trimming old fat......

18. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Obviously we do, dicktoungue.

19. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

It's 2013. Who cares.

(I'm in Europe so I can say this already)

20. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Given the emergence of New England and Denver as legitimate Super Bowl-caliber contenders, and with Andre Luck looking like a legitimate Manning heir apparent, the Texans' window is absolutely closing rapidly.

But it isn't just 2011; the injuries to Schaub in '07 and '08 wrecked very likely their first (and second) winning seasons; unbelievably bad luck killed a gift-wrapped playoff opportunity in 2009; and the hiring of Frank Bush came to collect in 2010. If this season truly is lost; if the team can't find a way to fix its problems*, then the entire Kubiak/Schaub era will go down as a giant missed opportunity, unfortunately.

* one thing about Kubiak that absolutely lands in the positive side of the ledger: offensively, he fixes problems year-to-year. He's done it nearly every year he's been here. Assuming the issue isn't that they need a massive influx of new, better talent, I suspect he'll right the ship. But it's hard to see New England or Denver regressing in the next year or two.