1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2011 Texans - How many games will they win?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Cohete Rojo, Aug 5, 2011.

?

How many of the games will our Houston Texans win this year?

1. 0-2

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  2. 3-5

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  3. 6-8

12 vote(s)
    9.8%
  4. 9-11

86 vote(s)
    69.9%
  5. 12-14

14 vote(s)
    11.4%
  6. 15-16

7 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Member

The way I see it:

• We suck against the Colts
    • We have a near career split against the Jags
    • Titans are in such deep **** we are bound to take advantage such as we did at the end of last season
    • Steelers are too good
    • We choked against Baltimore at home last year, I don't see how we do better on the road
    • Browns, Bengals and Panthers are just flat out pathetic
    • The Texans can beat the Saints, Falcons and Panthers because I said so

The wildcard in all this is if the Texans can beat the Dolphins, Raiders and Tampa Bay, who while not spectacular last season are up and coming teams, much like the Texans have been for...ever.

Best case for the Texans I think is 10-6 but I am putting my money on 9-7 and missing the playoffs.

SCHEDULE

L - 9/11 INDIANAPOLIS COLTS
    W - 9/18 at Miami Dolphins
    L - 9/25 at New Orleans Saints
    L - 10/2 PITTSBURGH STEELERS
    W - 10/9 OAKLAND RAIDERS
    L - 10/16 at Baltimore Ravens
    W - 10/23 at Tennessee Titans
    L - 10/30 JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
    W - 11/6 CLEVELAND BROWNS
    L - 11/13 at Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    L - 11/20 BYE WEEK...j/k
    W - 11/27 at Jacksonville Jaguars
    W - 12/4 ATLANTA FALCONS
    W - 12/11 at Cincinnati Bengals
    W - 12/18 CAROLINA PANTHERS
    L - 12/22 at Indianapolis Colts
    W - 1/1 TENNESSEE TITANS

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

Split - 9/11 INDIANAPOLIS COLTS
    W - 9/18 at Miami Dolphins
    L - 9/25 at New Orleans Saints
    L - 10/2 PITTSBURGH STEELERS
    W - 10/9 OAKLAND RAIDERS
    L - 10/16 at Baltimore Ravens
    W - 10/23 at Tennessee Titans
    Split - 10/30 JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
    W - 11/6 CLEVELAND BROWNS
    W - 11/13 at Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Split - 11/27 at Jacksonville Jaguars
    L - 12/4 ATLANTA FALCONS
    W - 12/11 at Cincinnati Bengals
    W - 12/18 CAROLINA PANTHERS
    Split - 12/22 at Indianapolis Colts
    W - 1/1 TENNESSEE TITANS

10-6.

4-2 in the division.

Games I marked "split" mean we're going to lose one and win one against that particular opponent, but not sure which game we win or lose.

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

We had an amazing offseason... I'm a believer, even with the tough schedule. 11-5

4. JeopardE

JeopardE Member

What kind of poll is this? 9-11? You do realize there is a significant difference between 11-5 and 9-7 right?

1 person likes this.
  5. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

this poll is easy... but yeah i'll go with definitely 9, probably 10

6. Plowman

Plowman Member
    Supporting Member

For all the talent we have (and the upgrades in the secondary) ....I'm thinking anywhere from 7 -11 wins....so many questions ....and this despite an EASIER schedule IMO.
    a few items ....
    - switch to the 3-4, time to adjust
    - status of Ryans
    - status of Cushing
    - move of Mario
    - How reliant will the Texans be on Jackson and if he's not there, who will be?
    - Kubiak factor
    - BM factor
    - Can Earl Mitchell really hold down the middle at NT ? I think he might well be the man, but we'll see....
    The signings in the secondary are huge but it will take time for things to come together.
    I say we start slow and burn it up in the second half ....
    - We can't lose close games and make games close that shouldn't be.
    - gotta stay healthy
    We really need to make it through the first half at .500.

#6 Plowman, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

LOL @ the game vs. the Bucs and thinking we're going to lose... :grin:

The BUCs. LOL!

8. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Member

14 - 2
    assuming everyone is healthy

Defense becomes a top 8, Offense top 3

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

7-9...

I mean 7-9 wins.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

Maybe. We got a good cornerback and safety. But we also lost Leach.

We didn't add any receivers, so AJ won't get much help unless OD returns to form or Jacoby gets consistent.

And we're also going to have growing pains transitioning to the 3-4.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

Leach, as good as he was, was on the sideline during 62% of the offensive plays last year. That plus the addition of Vickers mitigates his leaving significantly.

Well, we did actually. From what everyone is saying, Dickerson is going to make the team and contribute as well as the UDFA Toliver. Didn't have either one of those guys last year. Sure, they're unproven players, but we already have 3 good receivers in AJ, KW, and OD. Agree about Jones though. He's not a rookie anymore. Time to put up or shut up.

Agree on this one. The "good" news about that is that, even if we weren't to experience growing pains, the first 6 games of the year are brutal. We may lose 3 or 4 of them with or without growing pains. But after that, the defense should be up and running - just in time for the easy part of the schedule.

I can see us finishing 7-3 down the stretch and possibly winning the division at 10-6. One thing is for sure....the wildcard ain't coming out of the AFC South, so it's division title or bust.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

^^ I hope you're right.

And I hope Kubiak learned a thing or two about clock management and play-calling down the stretch.

Please, no more timeouts to save 5 yards on a delay of game when we're going to punt anyways!

13. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Member

SCHEDULE

W - 9/11 INDIANAPOLIS COLTS Peyton will be rusty
    W - 9/18 at Miami Dolphins QB situation, lost Ronnie Brown
    L - 9/25 at New Orleans Saints 50/50 on this one
    W - 10/2 PITTSBURGH STEELERS No explanation, just optimism
    W - 10/9 OAKLAND RAIDERS Starting to like playing Oakland every year
    L - 10/16 at Baltimore Ravens Tough Loss. I'd start Leinart this game lol
    W - 10/23 at Tennessee Titans Possibly rebuilding
    W - 10/30 JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS How serious is Garrard's injury?
    W - 11/6 CLEVELAND BROWNS I'm expecting a good game from them
    W - 11/13 at Tampa Bay Buccaneers 50/50 on this too. Tampa is on the rise, IMO.
    - 11/20 BYE WEEK
    L - 11/27 at Jacksonville Jaguars This could go either way. Marking it as a loss though.
    L - 12/4 ATLANTA FALCONS This is the game I'm looking forward to the most. Have a feeling it'll result in an 'L' though.
    W - 12/11 at Cincinnati Bengals Suck for Luck movement
    W - 12/18 CAROLINA PANTHERS Not sold on their team yet.
    L - 12/22 at Indianapolis Colts Peyton's revenge.
    W - 1/1 TENNESSEE TITANS Possibly rebuilding

That puts the Texans somewhere between 10-6 or 12-4. Either way should result in a playoff birth. I realistically expect 10-6.

14. weslinder

weslinder Member

I'm not going to predict individual games, but I'm going to predict that they'll be 9-7 at the end of the year. They'll be 5-5 at the bye, and finish 4-2. I do think they could still be in the playoff picture going into Week 16 @ Indy. If Peyton's hurt, or they can pull out a really good game, it could possibly propel them into the playoffs.

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

Looking at the schedule, I think 11 wins can be had. This team will obviously have to take a big step to get there, but that's a step that they have to make in order to be taken seriously for once.

16. Texasboy1978

Texasboy1978 Member

WHERE IS THE CHOICE FOR 19-0 SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!?!?! POLL FAIL!!

OK, realistically, 10-12 wins is my guess I think we go anywhere from 6-2 in the first 8 to 4-4 and that should dictate the outcome of the last 8.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

One thing is for certain: they'll be 5-7 after 12 games(13 weeks).:p
    One vote here for 6-8

18. Texasboy1978

Texasboy1978 Member

I think what the OP is missing, that yes, history has shown we have not performed against the Colts..in Manning's prime. I think Manning shows signs of decline and he will also not start the season off on a tear I don't believe. What else do the Colts have to offer with Manning not at 100% and our improved secondary. Hell, we took it to them in game one last year with a healthy manning and a horrible secondary with no Cushing, and then failed to run the damn ball against them in the second meeting which, imo was our downfall (oh yeah, that secondary thing comes to mind too).

People keep expecting the same thing to happen this year. Hello, we actually addressed holes this offseason with the D, I think by week 1 it will mostly come together. Definitely by midseason we are ATLEAST an average to above average defense. People are forgetting a lot of the mitigating factors that made us fail last year.

1: Slow starts on offense due to bad field position (Punt Returns and Kickoff returns anyone?).

2. Secondary: We signed Joseph and Manning and Quinn is no slouch. I think with the rookies we drafted, JJ's second year and the new schemes with split safeties, we will be MUCH improved.

3. No Cushing for first 4 games and no Ryans for last 10.5. I also think Cushing works better with Meco out there. Connor Barwin is back, and JJ Watt looks really good from what we're hearing. Earl Mitchell seems to be taking real well to the NT position.

4. We were 13 against the Run, not last and I think with our returning LB core, we should be vastly improved adding to the fact that an improved secondary will only help the front 7.

5. Also last year, we gave other offenses good field position due to our lousy punting ability (read: Turk) and then needed a depleted and injured defense to perform in the clutch a high percentage of the time due to field position of the other team.

If you factor in all of this, where exactly do any of you see less than 9 wins barring any significant injury or inability of the 3-4 def to get going considering Wade's already stated it will be an easy D to learn....

19. Texasboy1978

Texasboy1978 Member

Fixed

20. OremLK

OremLK Member

Added Vickers, not as good as Leach but it'll get the job done. We still have Kevin Walter don't we? He's a solid receiver. Offense is not going to be a problem, anyway, we were near the top last year and I see little reason to think that is going to change.

The problem last year was the defense and we pretty much did every conceivable thing to fix it this offseason. Hired a real defensive coordinator, had a great defense-focused draft, signed a great cornerback and a solid safety to fix the secondary.