1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

Just out of boredom, started checking out the salary cap situation for next year. Ended up with this.

The individual salary numbers I used are from shamsports. The salary cap number is for this year. I am not a cap-ologist like some on here are. I hope these numbers, assumptions are correct...

Salary 2010-2011: $73, 753, 370

Salary cap 2011: $58,044,000

Contracts expire:
    Yao, Battier, Brooks, Hayes, Jeffries

----

Status quo, no transactions...

Salary 2011-2012: $41, 696, 652

Cap space: $16, 347, 348

C - Hill, Miller
    PF - Scola, Patterson
    SF - Budinger
    SG - Martin, Lee, Williams
    PG - Lowry, Smith

Budinger, Smith - Unguaranteed

----

Trading Martin, Scola, Lowry, Miller for expirings now

C - Hill
    PF - Patterson
    SF - Budinger
    SG - Lee, Williams
    PG - Smith

Salary cap 2011: $11,083,019

Cap space: $46, 960, 981

--------

I personally don't think the Rockets are going to go this route (Fire Sale/Rebuild), or even think they should, but if Morey wanted to...

2. joesr

joesr Member

then make fronting offers to Gasol, Chandler and Stuckey

(fronting meaning its a reverse contract, like Kirk hinrichs)

3. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

Then we suck even harder

4. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

This is Bima's territory but without knowing what the new CBA will be, pretty hard to determine what the cap will end up being.

Just my opinion, if they can't Melo at the deadline then blow it up. This isn't about attracting a star in 2012 but rather growing one via the draft, that's just my preferred way to acquire one at this point. Other's, including Morey, will probably disagree and that's fine, more then one way to skin a cat.

My ideal plan, if a superstar is not a possibility at the deadline, would be to trade Scola and Martin for young players/picks, build via the draft and hope you hit it big with one of the lotto picks/young players. Use the capspace available to acquire pieces to complement your new stars and go from there. Basically, what the plan would have been if Yao/McGrady hadn't broken down.

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

6. CCorn

CCorn Member

2013 make a run for Griffin and Curry ;)

7. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

This. It's pointless to try to peg the Rockets' 2011-12 cap situation. I have provided one or two updates about next season's cap situation IF nothing changed from the current salary cap under the current CBA, all the while noting that it was for illustration purposes only.

We just don't know.

And because we don't know, it would be foolish for the Rockets to trade their best players for less than full value THIS season. Wait until we know what the rules are before trading away guys like Kevin Martin or Luis Scola. For all we know, we may not be able to obtain a player of their caliber for many years.

Commodore, www.shamsports.com has better salary info. Hoopshype is not 100% accurate.

RESTRICTED free agent, buddy. They're not going anywhere.

8. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

That Brad Miller contract just looks worst and worst everytime i look at the salary cap situation for our squad.

9. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

I was just bored, not saying I think this is what Morey should do. It is definitely an option.

If the Rockets don't take on a lot of bad contracts past next season, it will be a decent option again then.

The best part? ALL of our long/big $$$ contracts are movable, even Miller.

10. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

I never got why Bud sign such a long contract for a guy in his position. He nailed it in the summer league, him and his agent should of fought long and hard for just a one or two year deal and make up the lost money he didn't get by not get drafted in the 1st round. But way to go for Morey in this deal. He learned from the Carl Landry mistake and screwed Bud into a long cheap contract.

11. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

Rookie contracts have a scale, I believe. Not a lot of negotiating to be done. Especially for a 2nd round pick.

12. FFz

FFz Member

Does morey have to still worry about the luxury tax with Yao's injury exception?

13. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

The Rockets are in the luxury tax whether they use the exception or not.

An easy fix would be to trade Jeffries, 3$ cash, pick to a team with capspace/TE at the deadline.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Joey Dorsey and Jermaine Taylor also signed the same contract, I think. It's fairly common among 2nd round pick and not just with the Rockets.

As 2nd rounder, you don't have much leverage, nor do you know whether your work will earn you a rotation spot within the first coupel years. So, it makes sense to get a couple of guaranteed years at the cost of having a chance to become a FA earlier. Sure, Bud's contract probably is probably costing him some money, but Taylor and Dorsey probably woudl have lost money if they just signed 1-year non-guaratneed minimum deals.

Really, it makes sense for both the player and the team. The extra few hundred K guaranteed makes a huge difference to a guy getting his first pro contract. It's probably worth it to give up a relatively small chance to earn, say, Landry money after your first season to some guaranteed dollars.

On the other hand, for a team with plenty of money, it's worth guaranteeing a few hudrend K in exchange for a chance at locking up a valuable player, saving several million dollars (and keeping that money off your cap).

#14 Carl Herrera, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  15. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Miller is essentially an expiring contract next season as the third year of his contract has a buyout clause.

16. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

Cap space is nice but it doesn't mean diddly without talent available. If we had 46m to spend, who would we spend it on? Other than 'Melo, there's no one.

17. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

we should be looking at 2012 salary. 2011 salary info is pointless.

that said, I want us to trade for antawn jamison. he is a star and he'll put us on the map while at the same time making us lose games with his lack of defense. we do it like the way miami did to get jermaine oneal. while getting rid of shawn marion they also got a future first rounder. STEAL.

yao for antawn jamison + future 1st rounder.

its okay to trade scola as long as we get some good deals back, but I don't want to trade martin.

18. Happii

Happii Member

Damn Yao is making megabucks just sitting on the bench this season :eek: