1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2011 NFL Draft Prospects

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Jan 24, 2011.

1. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

not enough to drop that far

to confirm, i consulted the value chart.. it basically indicates their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th together are equivalent to our 1st. Not saying that's a hard and fast rule by any means--seems like a ridiculous trade. But for me it confirms that dropping from 11 to 25 is worth more than a late 2nd round pick

2. PointForward

PointForward Member

oh btw, thank you Mr. Kubiak for showing heart of a champion and winning that last game. It would've been awful if we were picking 6th and we get Von :rolleyes:

3. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Yeah, I couldn't think of another team besides the Seahawks that has a pressing QB need.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

PFT
    [rquoter]
    Could Vernon Gholston become the new Mike Mamula?

In the past, any Combine workout wonder was inevitably compared to Mamula as a cautionary tale. Now it’s possible that any deceptively productive, potentially stiff pass rusher could be compared to Gholston.

“[Miller's] got some Vernon Gholston in him,” former NFL scout Dave Razzano told Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com.

Razzano spent two decades as an NFL Scout. His opinion differs sharply from those who see Miller as one of the safer picks in the draft.

“I’m not a big Von Miller fan,” Razzano said. “In looking at Big-12 tape, he does not have a motor. He doesn’t chase hard. They run at him, and he doesn’t fight off blockers. When he gets sacks, a lot of times he’s not getting blocked. He’s a one-move guy.”

Miller was a fast riser after a huge senior season, but was seen as an inconsistent performer before.[/rquoter]

CSN Bay Area:
    [rquoter]After turning heads at the Senior Bowl and NFL scouting combine, Texas A&M linebacker Von Miller has been regarded as a sure top-10 pick and a strong possibility for the 49ers to select at No. 7 overall.

But there is also speculation the Arizona Cardinals could take him with the fifth overall selection.

Miller appears destined to hear his name called early on April 28. After all, there haven't been many -- any? -- vocal critics of Miller's game . . . until now.

Dave Razzano, who spent more than two decades as an NFL scout and appears regularly on Comcast SportsNet's "Chronicle Live," believes whichever team spends a high draft pick on Miller will ultimately be disappointed.

"He's got some Vernon Gholston in him," Razzano said, referring to the sixth overall pick of the New York Jets in 2008. Gholston failed to record a sack in 42 games and was released this offseason.

"I'm not a big Von Miller fan," Razzano said. "In looking at Big-12 tape, he does not have a motor. He doesn't chase hard. They run at him, and he doesn't fight off blockers. When he gets sacks, a lot of times he's not getting blocked. He's a one-move guy."

Miller recorded 17.0 sacks as a junior, and he was reportedly hampered early last season with a high-ankle sprain. After a slow start, Miller posted 10.5 sacks.

"I think that's an excuse," Razzano said of the injury. "I use Pat Willis as an example. He would still be tough and aggressive. But Miller doesn't fight off blocks. He still shows speed on film, but I don't see the effort."

"Somebody is going to make a mistake on him."

So if the 49ers look to draft defense with the No. 7 pick, this is how Razzano ranks the players most-talked about:

OLB Robert Quinn, North Carolina: Razzano believes he's versatile enough to play defensive end (which he would play on nickel downs in the 49ers' defense) and outside linebacker in any scheme. "He's a big, tough guy and he's relentless," Razzano said. "Good players find a way, and he's a good player. I've seen him stand up. He has the movement and he looks like he's athletic enough."​

CB Patrick Peterson, LSU: "He's not a great one, but he's really good," Razzano said. "He has great size and speed. He's big, and he can turn and run with people. But for as big as he is, I thought he'd be a lot more physical."​

CB Prince Amukamara, Nebraska: "I'm not a big Amukamara guy," Razzano said. "Against Oklahoma State, he got beat so bad over the top. He did not react to the ball consistently. His ball-reaction and demeanor weren't good." Oklahoma State receiver Justin Blackmon had five catches for 157 yards and two touchdowns in a 51-41 loss to Nebraska.​

I asked Razzano to rank these four players, and his order was Quinn, Peterson, Amukamara and Miller. But, he said, if Clemson defensive end Da'Quan Bowers somehow slips, the 49ers should take him. Also, he said the 49ers could do a lot worse than moving back into the middle of the first and selecting Iowa defensive end Adrian Clayborn.
    [/rquoter]