1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2011 Houston Dynamo regular season thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by FrancisFan3, Mar 15, 2011.

1. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Not even necessary. A mid level EPL team works fine as evidenced in prior ASG results vs such teams.
    It was an expected result (from my thinking) vs one of the best teams in the world. If that All-Star team played Everton and lost then I'd care a bit more.
    Plus, Hans Backe is as overrated a coach in MLS as I've seen. He's selection choices were beyond puzzling.

2. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't understand how anybody can be upset. The All-Star "Team" really isn't a team. It's a bunch of individuals that have never played together. Where else have Thierry Henry and David Beckham teamed up? There is no chemistry, which is, as we all know, a key element for any successful squad in any sport. Tonight was about fun and it was.

3. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Let's just say if this team was in the EPL, I think they finish top 8?

If they had time to play with each other, they might fare way more better.

4. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Nice 3-1 win last night over Seattle. Two goals for Ching.

The team that I saw last night looked like a completely different team than the one I saw last week against Chivas. They attacked early and often and if it weren't for some timely saves on the part of Kasey Keller, it could have easily ended 5-1 or worse.

5. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Watching Portland and Los Angeles. Mike Chabala, formally of the Dynamo scored a nice goal for Portland. Nice going Dom, Chris.

6. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

The Dynamo have signed Carlo Costly from Honduras and Luiz Camargo from Brazil. Costly is a big forward, but is good with the ball at his feet and can finish his chances. I don't know much about Camargo, he's a apparently a defensive mid, I don't know if he'll be playing behind Cameron or if they'll end up splitting duties.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/soc/7684190.html

http://twitter.com/#!/OrtizKicks/status/99279262607089665

Camargo:
    <iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TH0vJfAFpSU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Interesting video of Camargo. Definitely a defensive mid...but with a good touch and what appears to be great vision. Didn't really get a feel if he could shoot from distance, though.

Hope these moves work out and get the Dynamo back into the playoffs. The fans of Houston sports need something to cheer for.

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Did the Dynamo talk to Costly after the HON vs. ESV "Clásico de Centro America" game?!?!?!!? :confused:

I kid.

He brings speed and a good decoy for Ching to play in the air a bit more. I don't know about finishing ALL his chances... I remember Honduras missing so many shots against y'all in the qualifiers... :p

Funny how you don't have a Costly highlight reel. ;)

9. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Dynamo Stadium update:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can't wait for the team to play in it.

10. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Camargo and the Dynamo were in discussions earlier in the year but the deal fell through. Nice to see that Dom got at least one of his top choices. Not too sure how high Costly was on his list but either way we got two fine players in time for a playoff push.

11. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

Costly's paperwork all came through today and he'll be available tomorrow.

12. jdh008

jdh008 Member

1-1 draw with Philly tonight. You have to feel pretty good about this result given how the match started off. The Union found the back of the net within the first 15 minutes and the Dynamo offense looked pretty listless until the 85th minute or so when Geoff Cameron hit from midrange.

13. jdh008

jdh008 Member

We're only in the 28th minute of the match against Portland and your Dynamo are already up 2-0.

The first goal came on what I imagine is the soccer equivalent of a half-court shot by Adam Moffat. A pass came his way from distance and he just blasted it over the head of the keeper.

The second came from Brian Ching on a good individual effort in the box.

14. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

It should be 3-0. That was a goal. WTF? Worst officiating ever...

15. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I agree. It sure looked like a goal. All's well that ends well though I guess. The good guys picked up three points and have put themselves in good position for a playoff spot should they continue to play well down the stretch.

If the team could earn results on the road, things would really be humming. I think I heard Glenn Davis say tonight that the team has yet to win a match outright on the road.

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Did either of the new signings play?

17. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

18. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Costly actually started for the first time. Camargo didn't play unless I just missed him.

19. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I havent checked but they said he was having visa issues.

20. M.ANGEL4

M.ANGEL4 Member

heard the same as well, commentator said he would be joining the team in a week