1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2010 US Open

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by TheDreams, Aug 31, 2010.

1. TheDreams

TheDreams Member

Anyone catch this amazing shot by Federer last night?

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s8k__4ezIyI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s8k__4ezIyI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I think its better than his shot last year against Djokovic.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nQBMIyHMtvw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nQBMIyHMtvw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Amazing player. Its a joy to watch a player of his caliber at work.

3. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

I think it's basically identical to his shot last year against Djokovic.

Which tells me he's probably practiced it. Once is luck. Twice is training.

Which tells me he's one heckuva tennis player.

Personally, I'll take the Djokovic shot, just because I was watching that one live. :grin:

4. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I'm really looking forward to this tournament. Of course, I'll be rooting for an American to finally break through, but that is becoming increasingly unlikely.

Roddick is now 28 and the injuries are beginning to pile up. His blast a serve and hope for the best style is also not conducive to winning tournaments when there are so many grind it out groundstroke players going right now. Guys like Murray, Djokovic, and Marin Cilic pride themselves on returning serve, extending points, and allowing their opponents to make unforced errors. Those types kill Roddick. That is to say nothing of guys like Nadal and Federer that are just better players.

James Blake has completely fallen off the map and is now 30 years old.

Mardy Fish has re-committed himself to his training and has pushed his way into the top 20, but he may have discovered training discipline too late into his career to make it to the top.

John Isner is a promising player, but like Roddick, his game is one-sided and he is nursing a severe ankle injury right now.

Querrey has won four events on tour this year and at his young age, he still has a lot of time to blossom, but his penchant for bowing out early in big tournaments makes you wonder if he just isn't a big match player.

5. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

18 y/o Ryan Harrison upset the No.15 seed Ivan Ljubicic :eek:

That's crazy young to upset a high seed.

6. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Not Really,

Sincerely yours,

[​IMG]

7. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

I dunno, I think it's a lot harder for a teen player to succeed now than it was back then. The physicality of tennis has changed a ton.

8. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Harrison played a good match. I like his game. Hopefully a couple of years from now he'll be challenging Isner and Querrey for the title of top American.

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sweet! Roddick is out. That was good to see. Overall, not too many upsets.

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

My best friend loves hitting that shot. He's fairly good at it. He kicks my ass in tennis. :eek:

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rPelP6HG7ig?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rPelP6HG7ig?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

12. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

^^^ thanks!

I was watching the match on ESPN and of course they wouldn't pan up to the action.

13. drumbum

drumbum Member

Great match right now between Djokovic and Federer.

In the 5th set right now, Federer about to go up 4 sets to 3.

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I have been watching...dramatic fifth set. Federer doesn't look to be at the top of his game. I'm pulling for him.

15. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

Just an ugly match all around.

Federer looks so off.

16. drumbum

drumbum Member

Though he's not playing as well as he has in the past, Federer still plays like a machine. It's ridiculous to watch him when he's serving.

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

It is hard to see an athlete go from being a god to merely a good player.

18. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

Federer was shanking forehands left and right, very uncharacteristic of him. Good match though.

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Damn. I want Federer to win one more Grand Slam tournament before he calls it quits.

20. TheDreams

TheDreams Member

Federer played terrible but give credit to Djokovic, he played really well.