1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2010 NFL Season Previews and Predictions

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Lil Pun, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Well, this week the NFL preseason kicks off with the Cowboys and Bengals in the Hall of Fame Game and the season is only about a month away. So let's get some views, opinions and predictions as to where this NFL season is going. :)

NFC North
    Green Bay Packers 12-4
    Minnesota Vikings 9-7 (w/o Favre)
    Chicago Bears 7-9
    Detroit Lions 5-11

I am thinking that Favre won't come back but even if he does I don't expect Minnesota to beat out Green Bay for the NFC North title. I don't think all the new players the Bears have signed will make that much of a difference and Smith will be out of a job. The Lions are still years away from competing.

NFC South
    New Orleans Saints 11-5
    Atlanta Falcons 10-6
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers 7-9
    Carolina Panthers 6-10

The Saints bring back the core of their Super Bowl winning team but this is a risky pick as Super Bowl winners and losers have usually faltered the season after in recent history. The Falcons look good but I don't think they'll be able to hang with the Saints eventually. I believe the Buccaneers should be better than last year but still a season or two from competing again. The Panthers lost a lot on both sides of the ball and could have one of the worst teams in the league when all is said and done.

NFC East
    Dallas Cowboys 11-5
    New York Giants 10-6
    Philadelphia Eagles 9-7
    Washington Redskins 8-8

The Cowboys should run away with this division and are many people's favorites to host a "home game" Super Bowl. I believe the Giants will bounce back from last year's debacle. The Eagles may do even worse than predicted this first year, I think it will take a season before all the fresh faces begin to gel there. I think Washington might be the most improved team in the division but are still nowhere near the top.

NFC West
    San Francisco 49ers 10-6
    Arizona Cardinals 8-8
    Seattle Seahawks 6-10
    St. Louis Rams 4-12

The 49ers have been picked to win the West by many people over the past few seasons but always come up short. Arizona's loss will turn out to be their gain as they finally nab the title and a playoff spot. The rest of the division looks pretty miserable.

AFC North
    Cincinnati Bengals 13-3
    Baltimore Ravens 10-6
    Pittsburgh Steelers 9-7
    Cleveland Browns 4-12

I think the Bengals have an excellent team and the Owens signing is underrated on many people's list. The Ravens could be just as good with a lot of new faces but some key elements are missing on defense. I think Big Ben's absence will affect the entire Steeler season and they'll miss the playoffs again. Cleveland.....uh yeah.

AFC South
    Indianapolis Colts 11-5
    Houston Texans 10-6
    Tennessee Titans 9-7
    Jacksonville Jaguars 7-9

Indianapolis is still the favorite in this division although, and I believe I said this last year, I think the Texans could give them a run for the title. I actually think this may be the toughest division in football and any team is good enough to come away as AFC South champions.

AFC East
    New York Jets 12-4
    New England Patriots 10-6
    Miami Dolphins 10-6
    Buffalo Bills 2-14

If the Bills were better, this may be the best division in football. The jets added the best pieces and return a great defense so I am giving them the nod. New England can still do anything. Miami added some good pieces and should contend for a playoff spot. Buffalo looks like the worst football team in the league this season.

AFC West
    San Diego Chargers 12-4
    Oakland Raiders 8-8
    Denver Broncos 7-9
    Kansas City Chiefs 5-11

San Diego is again the team to beat in this division. I am giving Oakland some huge support for a .500 season and I think they'll do it. Denver keeps getting bit by the injury bug and it is not looking pretty for them. I think all the new coaches and faces will take time to mesh but this could be a serious team in a few seasons.

Coach of the Year: Rex Ryan
    Most Valuable Player: Drew Brees
    Offensive Player of the Year: Adrian Peterson
    Defensive Player of the Year: Darelle Revis
    Offensive Rookie of the Year: Ryan Matthews
    Defensive Rookie of the Year: Brandon Graham
    Comeback Player of the Year: Troy Polamalu

Super Bowl Game: Dallas Cowboys vs. San Diego Chargers
    Chargers win in an upset
    Super Bowl MVP: Phillip Rivers

#1 Lil Pun, Aug 6, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I will bet you any amount of money your prediction for the Lions season record will be incorrect.

1 person likes this.
  3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

LOL! :grin:

Good catch my man, I actually expected a few errors. Hopefully though, there are no more.

4. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Last season I picked every game every week. I was way off on some somewhat close on a few teams.

I'm going to do it again.

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:confused:

Combined W vs. Combined L
    33 31 +2
    34 30 +4
    38 26 +8
    28 36 -8
    ------
    36 28 +8
    37 27 +10
    34 30 +4
    32 32 e

272 ≠ 240

:confused: Are you not accounting for ties? ;)

6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Yeah, that's why I went through every single week and played each game so that way it's mathematically right

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think you are horribly overrating the bengals and dolphins

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

A lot of people seem to think the Bears will bounce back this year with Martz as the OC... I'm skeptical. I think Cutler will have a better showing than he did last year, but they've still got to get some better weapons for him there.

Anyone been seeing whats been going on in Denver? Moreno and Buckhalter get injured right away on the first day of Camp, now Dumervil is out for 4 months, and today Jarvis Moss broke his hand.

Will Tebow be able to heal them in time for the playoffs?

9. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I think they'll improve quite a bit, Cutler will be better, the WR corp while not anywhere near top notch will be better and the D should get better now that they have someone who can get pressure from the ends.

I think my Bears will surprise some people this year, if not we'll it's house cleaning time for the coaching staff.

10. Ramu3

Ramu3 Member

My picks for division winners:
    AFC
    East- Pats
    North- Bengals
    South - Colts
    West - Chargers
    Wild Card - Jets, Ravens

NFC
    East- Cowboys
    North-Vikings
    South - Saints
    West - Niners
    Wild Card - Packers,Falcons

11. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I liked the Packers last year, and I don't see any reason not to like them again this year.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

afc east - jets
    afc north - ravens
    afc south - texans
    afc west - chargers
    wild card - colts
    wild card - bengals

nfc east - cowboys
    nfc north - packers
    nfc south - saints
    nfc west - 49ers
    wild card - eagles
    wild card - vikings

afc champions - colts
    nfc champions - packers

super bowl champions - packers

13. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

afc east - jets
    afc north - ravens
    afc south - colts
    afc west - chargers
    wild card - patriots
    wild card - bengals or texans, can't decide

nfc east - cowboys
    nfc north - packers
    nfc south - saints
    nfc west - 49ers
    wild card - vikings
    wild card - falcons edge out the cards

I never get any of the playoffs right, so I won't even try. I'd love to see Green Bay win.

14. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

AFC East - Pats (Jets wills fall short of hype)
    AFC North - Bengals (I like the new options on offense)
    AFC South - Colts (Though I think it will be close)
    AFC West - Chargers (Another surprisingly close one)
    Wildcard - Texans (Expecting them to give the colts a run for div)
    Wildcard - Ravens

NFC East - Eagles (Kolb will put up yards on some teams)
    NFC North - Packers
    NFC South - Saints (Don't see them falling that far off)
    NFC West - Niners (Cards and Seahawks will make a push when they bench starting QBs)
    Wildcard - Vkings
    Wildcard - Falcons (Another team I like the pieces on)

This is all barring injury of course. Playoffs have a lot to factor in such as momentum. I could see a Texans-Packers match-up for the SB though. Laugh if you will.

15. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

AFC East: Patriots (Brady looks sharp)
    AFC North: Ravens (give that team a great receiver and they win 10+ games)
    AFC South: Colts (Manning is Manning)
    AFC West: Chargers (RM wins ROY, Rivers doesen't need Vincent Jackson)
    WC: Texans (We'll be hearing Schaub to AJ a lot this season)
    WC: Dolphins (Just squeak in the playoffs over the Bengals)

NFC East: Eagles (I believe the Kolb hype)
    NFC North: Packers (Aaron Rodgers is the favorite for MVP)
    NFC South: Saints (Same team from last year, still very good)
    NFC West: 49er's (Will be the NFL's number one defense, Alex Smith finally develops)
    WC: Cowboys (Start off bad, late regular season rally gets them in)
    WC: Vikings (Adrian Peterson)

SB: Chargers vs Packers

Chargers 2010-2011 Superbowl Champs. :)

16. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

that's right! let's go packers.

not completely sure about the defense though.

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

you people are tripping on some very hardcore drugs if you dont think the cowboys wont run away and easily win there division.

you would not have caught me saying that in years past, but the team is LOADED.

18. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

That's said every year. I don't see it. Not saying its not possible, but I think Kolb is for real and he has some great young guys to throw to. The Redskins won't do too much, but I can see them giving the division trouble, same for the Giants. They will definitely be competing with some good teams. I guess we'll see, but I'm not sold.

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

AFC East
    Dolphins 11-5
    Jets 10-6
    Patriots 9-7
    Bills 4-12

The Dolphins are very much for real. Brandon Marshall gives them a legitimate stud #1 WR, Chad Henne is looking like a solid NFL starting QB, the defense is not filled with superstars, but is solid all around. The Jets are in trouble because I don't see them winning many close games with Sanchez at the helm. He got away with a lot of mistakes last season, and he'll continue to get away with them thanks to the league's best defense (with Revis). The Jets will be good, but not as great as some are thinking.
    Ultimately, the Patriots are looking worn down. Losing Ty Warren was a huge blow for the defense, and now Leigh Bodden is also out for the season. A lot of the Patriots offensive success will depend upon Wes Welker's ability to come back strong. The Bills made a questionable hire in Chan Gailey, they still don't have a QB who can get it done. CJ Spiller might make some noise, and they do have a top notch secondary, but the Bills are too much of a mess most everywhere else.

AFC North
    Baltimore 13-3
    Cincinnati 10-6
    Pittsburgh 7-9
    Cleveland 3-13

Baltimore is not the defense they used to be, but they have made up for it by adding some serious firepower on offense. Anquan Boldin's health is always a question, but Joe Flacco and Ray Rice are promising young talents who will only continue to improve. I think the Bengals will have a good year, and TO will be part of the reason. Carson Palmer has more weapons (Jermaine Gresham too), and their corner tandem of Hall-Joseph is one of the league's best. Pittsburgh can survive 4 games without Big Ben, but they have a pretty brutal schedule otherwise, I think they are starting to stagnate a bit. Cleveland is going to be a 4 year plan for Holmgren, that team hasn't had any great talents since it came back into existence over a decade ago.

AFC South
    Indianapolis 12-4
    Houston 10-6
    Tennessee 9-7
    Jacksonville 5-11

Colts. Colts. Colts. Colts. Colts. Colts. Its a broken record, but until Peyton Manning is sitting in a booth calling games instead of playing in them, it is almost impossible to bet against the Colts being among the top contenders in the AFC, which is an incredible testament to just how good Peyton Manning is. Houston, oh Houston. I love you, I really do... but you've got some question marks still on that defensive line, Brian Cushing is out for the first 4 games, and you're dealing with the league's toughest schedule and we all know Gary Kubiak has a penchant for making 4-5 boneheaded decisions per year. Still, I think the Texans offense is gearing up to do some special things this year. Arian Foster might be a Pro Bowl RB this year when all is said and done, and Jacoby Jones is going to emerge into a deadly playmaker. Kris Brown is no more! I'm showing a little optimism for the Steel and Blue. The Titans will feed Chris Johnson and he'll continue to carry their offense. Vince Young will look like a world-beater some weeks and a pouting little baby the next. Jacksonville is just too mediocre across the board, although their defensive line is getting some nice pieces.

AFC West
    San Diego 11-5
    Kansas City 7-9
    Oakland 7-9
    Denver 5-11

Well San Diego just doesn't really have any competition to speak of yet, despite their hold-out concerns. Ryan Mathews looks like the clear-cut favorite for Offensive ROY. Kansas City is building into something, Oakland actually had by all accounts one of the best drafts in recent memory, but both teams still have a lot of inexperienced starters and coaches. Matt Cassel needs time in the pocket, Jason Campbell needs a WR to emerge or the Raiders will continue to be a laughing stock of an offense.

Division Winners - Miami, Baltimore, Indianapolis, San Diego
    Wild Cards - Cincinnati, NY Jets

AFC Championship Game: Colts over Ravens

NFC East
    Dallas 11-5
    Washington 9-7
    New York Giants 8-8
    Philadelphia 7-9

Well it is simply getting too hard to deny the talent the Dallas Cowboys have amassed on both sides of the ball. I still think Romo has a lot to prove come playoff time, but the regular season should be a lot of fireworks for The Cowboys. Washington I believe will actually be a good team with McNabb at the helm, the Giants will mediocre, and the Eagles offense will be the ultimate roller-coaster ride as Kevin Kolb seems poised for a Jay Cutler type year with a lot of TDs and a lot of interceptions.

NFC North
    Green Bay 12-4
    Minnesota 11-5
    Chicago 7-9
    Detroit 4-12

Not much to really say about the NFC North except that Green Bay is going to be the league's most explosive offense, with Dallas, New Orleans and Houston vying for 2nd place. Aaron Rodgers could approach 40 total TDs. Jermichael Finley is going to have a huge year. Green Bay has a few injury concerns in the secondary, but I believe the Packers offense is going to be something special to watch this season. I think the Vikings will still be a dominant force, but losing Sidney Rice hurts big time. If Percy Harvin can overcome his migraine problems, they should be able to cope with the loss of Rice, but Favre is a year older and a year gimpier... last year was magical, I can't see him putting up numbers like that again. Chicago just doesn't have the offensive talent yet around Cutler, they've got too many young guys that still need time to develop. Detroit is slowly improving, but they've got a long way to go. Stafford needs to start showing he's a worthy #1 pick.

NFC South
    New Orleans 13-3
    Atlanta 8-8
    Carolina 6-10
    Tampa Bay 3-13

I know this division was topsy-turvy for a while, but I see some consistency finally carrying over from last year. New Orleans will continue to pummel teams with their offensive juggernaut. Atlanta is still a little ways away from being a playoff team, Carolina's QB situation is awful despite a stellar defense and 2 great RBs. Tampa Bay is still very young and will continue to have growing pains.

NFC West
    San Francisco 11-5
    Seattle 8-8
    Arizona 6-10
    St. Louis 2-14

This division is almost gift-wrapped for the 49ers this season. if Alex Smith proves his solid showing last season wasn't a fluke, the defense and the ground game will do the rest. Mike Singletary might be the best coach in the league right now. What he has done with that team is as impressive as any coaching job I've seen in a while. Pete Carroll is up to some unusual tricks in Seattle, I think 8-8 is reasonable for them. Arizona did themselves a favor by jettisoning the horrible Matt Leinart, but I still think they're not much better off with Derek Anderson. Sam Bradford, if you survive this season... you are truly a man, because it is going to be brutal.

Division Winners: Dallas, Green Bay, New Orleans, San Francisco
    Wild Card: Minnesota, Washington

NFC Championship Game: Green Bay over New Orleans in an epic shootout.

Super Bowl: Colts over Packers

NFL MVP: Aaron Rodgers
    Offensive Player of the Year: Aaron Rodgers
    Defensive Player of the Year: Jared Allen
    Offensive Rookie of the Year: Ryan Mathews
    Defensive Rookie of the Year: Rolando McClain
    Coach of the Year: Mike Singletary

20. Ramu3

Ramu3 Member

Best sports bar to watch NFL games in houston is ?