1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2010 Free Agency

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by desi tmac91, Nov 3, 2008.

1. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Whats our position for the huge 2010 free agency?

I know Tmac expires and Yao has a ETO (I think) plus Rafer and Scola expire and Brent Barry retires.

Do you guys think we can make some noise in 2010? I'd love for us to somehow steal a big name.

2. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

We should get Lebron to play with Yao, tempt him with all the additional money he is going to get from China and his fame will be even more worldwide.

And we probably would have won 2 championships by then so :D .

3. CHAD444

CHAD444 Member

im too focused on this year to think about that far ahead :eek:

4. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

As of right now, I believe the only players under guaranteed contracts for 2010-2011 are Yao, Landry, and Battier.

Yao at 17.7 million
    Battier at 7.35 million (last year of his deal)
    Landry at about 3 million (I think)

The team has options on Dorsey, Brooks, and Hayes totaling about 5.2 million so you would think they pick up all those.

Other then that, the Rox can pick and choose what they want to do with their money.

You would hope Artest is signed assuming all goes well this year at roughly 12 million or so per year.

That leaves a lot of money to spend, but also not many players on the team yet.

Basically, one thing that people dont mention much is aside from the brilliant moves Morey has made so far, he has also left open the possibility that the Rox are major players in the summer that everyone is waiting for.

5. jedicro

jedicro Member

What are the possibilities that T-Mac takes a pay cut? He can't possibly reason that he's worth more than 20 million at that point.

Unless of course he resurges in the next two years...

6. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

What is the cap expected to be at that summer? If you re-sign Artest at around $12mill, that takes you to roughly $50million committed after renouncing T-Mac.

7. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

i rather the team keeps the "big 3" and then steal a second tier restricted free agent, i'm looking at teams like memphis who may so caught up on getting new players, might be willing to let up on the players. Specifically--- Rudy Gay. :)

8. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I'm curious if you resign T-mac and Yao as well later on what kind of money will they ask for? They both have made max money and will be in their 30's how much is reasonable? Will they be willing to take a smaller deal to keep the big 3 together?

9. Tmac-is-numero1

Lebron is probably going to New Jersey or New York. If Mcgrady does well these two seasons, we resign him. I wnt him to retire as a rocket. BTW Brooks will of probably developed by then. Sign a semistar player like a Ricky davis and or a dalembert (examples) and we're set to be a improved version of the spurs from the past years.

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Member

I'm hoping and thinking that there's a great chance T-Mac returns at a reduced salary. Morey's a great negotiator so who knows what that amount would be, but accounting for two years' worth of inflation, I'd guess 10-12 million a year, something like what Billups has in his deal.

A lot of things could happen in a couple of years though. This economy could collapse for good; the NBA salary cap could disappear (which would be bad for us because Les ain't gonna spend too much more than what we're spending already); so it's hard to predict.

11. larsv8

larsv8 Member

Make a strong push for Chris Bosh IMO. I love that guy.

12. seb_town

seb_town Member

Now:
    T-Mac = 19.6m
    Yao = 15.1m
    Ron = 7.4m
    SF3 = 2.6m
    total = 35.1m

Next Year
    T-Mac = 15m
    Yao = 15m
    Ron = 10m
    total = 40m

4.9m = RA's contract
    no, not gonna happen, I love this current roster.

Are we thinking too far beyond? Indeed! The post deserves a lock.

13. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Any other star in that free agency is better than Tmac. If anything get a deal done with a big name and then use bird years on Tmac and hope he doesn't demand too much.

14. seb_town

seb_town Member

Sorry, I suck on math

T-Mac = 19.6m
    Yao = 15.1m
    Ron = 7.4m
    total = 42.1m

Next Year
    T-Mac = 15m
    Yao = 17m
    Ron = 10m
    total = 42m

no, not gonna happen, I love this current roster.

Are we thinking too far beyond? Indeed! The post deserves a lock.

15. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Member

Too far ahead. Too many things could happen. But...

I don't think T-Mac will sign a long contract. Maybe 1 more year or so. Unless we win, I think T-Mac is not going to be a Rocket by then.

I do think we have a small shot at LeBron that summer. Maybe the fact that being coupled with Yao Ming will give him an instant market in and out of China could lure him here. Not to mention he'd be playing with a great player...

The only thing is, Yao has to stay healthy the next two seasons. LeBron's not going to come to Houston if Yao keeps getting injured. He'll never get a chance to win then. Let's pray that Yao does stay healthy.

16. FanfromJaysCity

wayyyy ahead of ourselves. i hope tmac retires as a rocket, or comes back to toronto. :D

17. lunaticrocket

lunaticrocket Rookie

Am I the only one that is actually scared of the 2010 free agency??? All the posts seem to be very excited about 2010. The way I see it, both Yao and TMac become free agents. Instead of thinking who the Rockets can get, I am more worried about keeping our players... Most teams have a chance of losing one player. We have a chance of losing 1 or even 2 super stars. No other team will be in such a fragile position.

Many people take Yao for granted as a Rocket. If we do not win this year, there is a big chance Yao will look at other teams. And with no Yao, say bye bye to TMac.

If I had a chance to lock both Yao and TMac until 2014 I would do it right away instead of hoping to grab something that might not even be there.

18. yaopowered

yaopowered Member

I don't want T-Mac to return. He's been a bust in my eyes with his huge contract but small return on investment.

Yao - is a question mark too. If Yao continues to have health problems the next two years, I think the only way the Rockets resign Yao is if he takes a pay cut. However, if Yao demonstrates that he is able to play the entire season healthy, then definitely, Yao is worth Max Money. You have to look at the total package: Great player. Great Teammate. Great Image for the Houston Rockets organzation.

T-Mac definitely a no no. I wouldn't want him even if he signs a 12M / year contract. T-Mac - good player but clearly declining. Horrible attitude. Horrible teammate and person. Cya T-Mac. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

19. Emma

Emma Member

Here's the hater

20. Bassem

Bassem Member

Excuse my language, but you're a piece of *****.