1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2009] Monday Morning Weigh-in

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by weslinder, Jan 5, 2009.

1. droxford

droxford Member

Actually there's more than that. There's rehabilitation and even things like plyometrics which help athletes in very specific ways. Basketball players train differently than football players who train differently than track runners. Bodybuilders work on muscle mass while pro weightlifters train for strength. And that's just the weightlifting side of exercise - there's whole other worlds of exercise for weight loss.

The people at the gym can/should meet with you, ask you what your goals are, and build a good program for what exercises to do, for how long, how many times, and at how much weight.

I'm more interested in muscle mass. I really don't care if I can or can't bench press a Buick, I just don't like being thin.

2. DreamRoxCoogFan

I forgot to post, but Im kinda worried- I dont trust the scale I'm using. It said I lost 10 pounds. I did work out M-F and I have a lot to lose, but I don't feel 10 lbs lighter. It was the same scale, same time, and I'm pretty sure I was wearing the same clothes. Iono, so I reweighed on another scale, and that seemed more accurate- 5 lbs.

What are the best fat burning exercises? My routine- I run a mile, lift weights, do crunches/ mat workouts, and then I finish with 10-20 minutes of elliptical machine (which makes me sweat more than running- should I just stay with the machine then?) Is there anything I should change? Weight loss is a priority, but I want some muscle mass too (also- I don't feel sore the next morning from lifting weights anymore, I've used more weight and I feel tired when I finish my reps, but I don't have that great sore feeling when I wakeup the next morning... suggestions?)

Also, I wish I could find one of the doctors office scales- those are the only ones I really trust.

3. xcharged

xcharged Member

take a 5lb weight and see if the scale tells you the same.

Also, some cases it's better to monitor the inches rather than the number on the scale.

if you want to see progress log your measurements.

4. deekay209

deekay209 Contributing Member

Here is a good site for the thinner people out there:

http://www.hardgainersguide.com/

Also, I went from 160 lbs to 168 lbs in two months taking True Mass from BSN as a protein shake. It's more of a meal replacement then a protein shake though. This is also from lifting weights 5-6 times a week.

5. Asian Sensation

Scales are usually innacurate. I think the best way to truly tell if your losing weight is to take a shirtless picture of yourself every 2 weeks (no homo). Seriously, It will give you motivation/hope with the changes you are seeing. The camera does not lie.

The best fat burning exercising is your diet. High protein/low carb. Limit calories and late night eating.

The best exercise for weight is to shock your body. Don't ditch the treadmill. But rather jog 5 mins and then sprint as fast as you could for 2 mins while your on the treadmill then start jogging again and then 10 mins later sprint as hard as you can for another 2 mins and then cool off 6 mins. Trust me your gonna sweat. It's also a good 25 min change of pace cardio right there as opposed to just running at the same speed for 30 mins or so.

Same thing along the lines of weight lifting. The reason why you are not feeling sore anymore even with more weight is because your body has gotten used to the same exercises you always do. You gotta change things up and integrate new machines in order to get the body away from it's normal routine. Also instead of lifting the same amount everytime try light weight and then gradually go heavier and then slowily take weight off to get down to where you started to finish the final rep.

6. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I was 193 on Monday, down about 2 lbs from last week.

7. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Where is finalsbound "Oh NO my boyfriend's gone vegetarian" thread?

I keed I keed!

My plan is much the same. I quit WW cause it was costing too much.

8. droxford

droxford Member

weighed in at 181.8 today! The most I've ever weighed, breaking last week's record of 180.

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

sweet man awesome job.

ive got a hard road ahead of me but it will be worth it

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I was down to around 240 pounds before the holidays (I'm 6-2, large build btw)

Finally did the deed today and I'm back up to about 248 now, but I expected that. I was fine through the holidays but I ate like crap over my vacation this past week.

Getting right back on the horse starting today.

I just finished off 3 liters of water.

I had Special K for breakfast with craisins and banana.

I had a low sodium Vegetable/Pasta Soup and a tuna sandwich (Tuna in Water / Light Mayo / Double-fiber Whole Grain bread) for lunch.

Dinner will probably something like a bowl of black beans with fat free cheese and fat free sour cream.

also need to hit my elliptical bike and get some exercise.

11. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

Is it normal that I'm loosing like 1-2 pounds a day??? I drink around a gallon of water a day. Run 2 miles everyday. Eat healthy, high protein, low-carb...........I feel great too. Have lots of energy. I'm not starving myself. I eat around 5 meals a day.

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:eek:

How much did you start with?
    Do you PP some of that gallon?
    What do your 5 meals (I call BS on this) consist of?
    Does the 1-2 lbs. "loosing" consist of loose bowel movements?!?!?

13. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

as long as you got it to lose, i wouldn't worry too much about it. could be water weight sweating out?

check out how many calories you need to maintain weight. there are a few calculators online based on your height, weight, age, and activity.

at the end of my last period of exercise, i weighed 170 and was taking in something like 2800 calories just to maintain that weight due to the amount of exercise i was doing each week.

if i was only taking in 1800 like i am now, that's a 7000 cal/week difference which equates to 2 lbs i would have been losing each week.

14. BrieflySpeaking

I started at 245. This morning I'm at 230. Been working out for like 1 month now. What is PP??? My meals are:Breakfast Oatmeal with a small shake. Brunch is Small piece of fish with an apple or something. Lunch is like a grilled chicken with a salad on the side and sometimes some beans :) Then I eat like a snack 3 hrs later (fruit). Then my dinner is sometimes Tuna. Ok well 4 meals :)

15. BrieflySpeaking

Like you said, I have the fat to lose. So I'm kinda excited that I'm loosing weight. Just wasnt sure if 1-2 pounds a day was normal.

16. BrieflySpeaking

When I started to work out I wasn't drinking a lot of water. Around 3 weeks ago was when I started to drink a lot. Since then I've been loosing weight quick....

17. xcharged

xcharged Member

more water in = more water out.

nice way of flushing subcutaneous fluid and excess sodium from underneath the skin.

18. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

I lost 5lbs in my first week. I drink plenty of water....eat small 5-6 times a day...never after 7pm now.

19. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

Congratulations on you losing weight!!

I did 20 min of jump rope (with stopping for a several seconds in between) and some toning exercises with a Swiss ball yesterday. I'm sore!! I like this feeling. I just decided I'll do cardio along with some light toning exercises until I'm at my goal weight then I'll tone up. Need to lose my tummy fat. :)

20. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

i still weigh the same. I'm trying to limit my soda intake.

i'm trying to drink more water.