1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2008 free agents: (Arenas, Jamison, Brand)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by prodigy08, Mar 29, 2008.

1. i hate the mavs

we should definitely keep our eyes open for calderon...

2. apya184

apya184 Member

3. dram1

dram1 Member

You got that right. His tenacity is contagious.

4. Aloe

Aloe Contributing Member

So what is the Rockets cap situation? Will they be able to be a major player in this summer's free agent sweepstakes or not?

5. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

6. hooroo

hooroo Member

Estimate for next season's LT is $70.58M.

Alston, Jackson, Brooks/Francis
    McGrady, Head, Brooks/Francis
    Battier, Harris,
    Scola, Novak,
    Yao, Hayes, Woods
    =c. $70.95M

If staying under LT is a priority. Hinrich is having the worst season of his career.

Alston+Jackson+Brooks for Kirk Hinrich+JamesOn Curry = c. -$2.95M
    *Curry has a non-guaranteed contract and can be waived for $0.

Hinrich, Brooks/Francis,
    McGrady, Brooks/Francis,
    Battier, Harris,
    Scola, Novak,
    Yao, Hayes, Woods
    =c. $68M

When Yao, scola, and Landry are all healthy Hayes is a luxury who is glued to the bench.
    So the Rockets could try to move Hayes for a TE or to team under the salary cap. Then try to swap their pick for the draft rights to Joel Freeland, sign Newley/rookie min, another rookie at the min, and Gerald Green to a min deal.

Hinrich, Brooks/Francis
    McGrady, Brooks/Francis, (Green), (Newley)
    Battier, Harris, (Rookie/Eliyahu)
    Scola, Novak,
    Yao, Woods, (Freeland)
    =c. $67.81M

That should leave the Rockets around $2.77M under LT. A 2007 second year mid-lottery pick would make around $1.5M. So hopefully Landry can accept that or somewhere close and find a chinese shoe deal. IIRC Hayes's shoe deal has a Yao Ming clause.

Hinrich, Brooks/Francis
    McGrady, Brooks/Francis, (Green), (Newley)
    Battier, Harris, (Rookie/Eliyahu)
    Scola, Landry, Novak
    Yao, Woods, (Freeland)
    =c. $67.81M + Landry

7. sook

sook Rookie

CALDERON PLZ!

8. RocketsBoy23

RocketsBoy23 Member

WE all know les alexander will bring in someone its justa matter of who

9. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

To be honest, I'm not sure I'd be willing to part with BJax for Kirk - I love what Bobby brings to this team and how well he runs the offense. I was pleading with Rick to drop Rafer in the first quarter the other night - and he finally listened to me! :D

10. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

He's like 35-years-old and expiring next year. It's one thing to trade him, him get bought out then resign him but let's not get carried away with keeping an aging and declining player like that.

If a decent offer for Hinrich is on the table you have to consider it. A potential PG duo of Hinrich/Brooks with Francis possibly waiting in the wings is very lethal. Hinrich for size, defense, consistency and intangibles. Brooks for a spark -- speed, scoring and a change of pace player. Anything Francis can add to that combination is just an added bonus.

11. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I'm not against trading him - I just don't see Kirk as being that big enough of an upgrade for next year's team to warrant that trade - but in looking at the future, it would be a good trade. I think we're title contenders next year with this team + another 1st rounder. He may be 35, but he sure as hell doesn't play like it - He's the best PG on this team.

12. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

Kirk is barely getting PT compared to Ben Gordon, do we really want Kirk? Isn't he a bad 1 on 1 defender too? I see him foul so much because he loses his man.

13. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Hinrich isn't ideal but if we do decide to pursue an upgrade at the point his name definitely has to be at the top of the list. Sure, he's owed a lot of money but don't make too much out of his bad season in Chicago. That team is a disaster and he's a year removed from a career year.

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Kirk is a very good defender, probavly the best on ball defender at the point guard position.

15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Once again scola struggles inside against longer, atheletic types. Calling for Mr. Okefor. :D

I know DD is coming also. :D

16. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

What would it take to steal Vince Carter from the Nets this offseason?

T-Mac and Vince both are having similar seasons all though i believe that having Vince Carter as our #3 guy or #2 guy some nights with Battier playing the ultimate 6th man defender some nights and T-Mac coming off the bench or Vince some nights still getting plenty of playing time would be a good move. Vince is making just a little less than Yao but the question remains would T-Mac want Vince as a team mate again and vise versa at this point of their career when winning is all that matters and not their numbers on paper.

Vince can still do all of those things before and in this system with Yao/T-Mac where dominating the ball is not a option and making the right pass is i believe they would all 3 take the Rockets up a couple levels then where they are now.

But what would it take to get him if no other option is available?

It would still be possible to have 3 guys just like Boston who all average just under 20 points for a season with Yao leading the way. I think its ideal because we are now a ballanced attack on offense now.

17. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

There's no way we'd be able to keep Battier Mcgrady and Vince on the same team, we'd have to give up Mcgrady for him and the Nets probably wouldn't go for that since he's not really an upgrade. I could only see them doing this if Vince is causing trouble in the locker room like Kidd was.

18. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

Maybe but he fouls too much and isn't on the court to play said defense. If he could stay on the court I'd say go for it.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

He wasn't the problem it was primarily landry and Deke tonight that got owned.

Scola had 22 and 13...he was fine.

DD

20. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

Landry needs to work on his defense a bit this summer. He doesn't position his feet very well to keep people from getting easy layups.