1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2008 free agents: (Arenas, Jamison, Brand)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by prodigy08, Mar 29, 2008.

1. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

Just thought I'd throw in that Curry is staying in college for another year. He already declared this publicly.

2. sook

sook Rookie

Ah..I see. Hope we pick some F-Agents up tho :eek:

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Shan Foster is a 6'6" shooter extraordinaire with a Michael Redd release and Reggie Miller accuracy that is projecting into the late first/early second round. If he is still there early in the 2nd, I'd take a flier on him by buying a pick.

4. rday

rday Contributing Member

How about:

- Corey Maggette- we need another swing man who can penetrate and create his own shots; this would take a load off Mac
    - Mike Bibby- Any combo of Bibby + Rafer/Bobby/Aaron would be an upgrade
    - Wally Szerbiak- a reliable three point shooter wouldn't be the worst thing in the world

Obviously Brand is the "pie in the sky" best option, but we need to be more realistic. Darryl needs to make some moves!

5. rday

rday Contributing Member

This is not a bad thought, I bet he could be had this year. Artest would be AWESOME for one year before he self destructed. Just enough time for a championship... Good Lord, can you imagine Artest and Battier playing defense for us at the same time. Kobe soils his drawers at the mere thought...

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

because he plays the 3 doesn't mean he can't play anywhere else.

he would spread the floor, provide another post option, and make us one of the best defensive teams ever. he can also beat most 4's off the dribble.

i'd bet that he can defend all-star 4's better than scola or landry, plus he's not a liability on offense like hayes.

about having too many 4's... you can always move one to upgrade another possition while making room for artest.

7. oldyellow

oldyellow Member

Head is untradable?????

8. dram1

dram1 Member

What about Magette? Can't he opt out? He certainly realizes that he is a lot older and had some injury issues in the past, and so knows he shouldn't be wxpecting a huge contract. Perfect for the Rockets, who won't be able to offer huge contracts.

He would be good for the Rockets in that he knows how to get to the line. He is like Bonzi as far as his knack to get to the basket only he shoots a lot better on the floor. His slahing ability would compliment TMacs passing ability and would provide that 3rd scorer that everyone's always talking about.

PG : Alston/BJ/AB
    SG : TMac/Magette/Head
    SF : Battier/Magette/TMac
    PF : Scola/Landry/Chuck/Harris/Novak
    C : Yao/Deke/Chuck

9. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

After reading this entire thread, I think I've concluded Maggette (if he opts out) is our best option. Sure I'd love to get some of the other players mentioned like Jamisonor Brand but I think that's a pipe dream. Artest is definitely a possibility if he opts out, but I think Maggette is still more reasonable. Could we land Maggette via sign and trade? Maybe send them Luther and a future 2nd? Would our MLE be enough to sign him? What about the additional 4 million we have before hitting the luxury tax? I would obviously like to bring Landry back as well. If we could have a decent draft, resign Landry and bring in Maggette it would make me very happy. Of course, if we brought in Artest instead of Maggette I wouldn't complain either.

Pugs

10. battousai

battousai Member

What about getting either gordon or Deng from chicago via trade? they are both at the last year of the contract and they both refused to agree to 10 million extension last season.

Think we can trade tmac + filter for both?

11. sook

sook Rookie

head is getting better and better...i feel a breakout season, dont trade him.

12. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Its always entertaining how we overrate our talent. People want the rox to make moves, but they want the rox to keep all their so-so players. To me, the only players that are untradeable are tracy, because of the return players and yao, because let people tell it, he makes les so much money. Other than that, everyone on this roster can be moved. More than likely, that's not the xase. Let me give u a xample.

Okefor is restricted and the rox can get him for 5yrs @ 10m per. The rox don't have that kind of money, so its going to take sign and trade. They want Scola-3.5, Jackson-6m, head-1.5 and the rox 1st rd pick. Do u do it?

13. dram1

dram1 Member

While I AM biased in evaluating talent from the Rockets, I think the Rockets would only do this if they fire Morey and gave the gig to Isaiah Thomas. He would do this. If I am working this deal, I am concentrationg on the fact that Okafor's production has plateaued at best and is often injured.

Clutchfans would be screaming rape if a deal like this goes through.

14. Champ Caliber

Champ Caliber Member

Ron Artest is our best option via trade.

Then there's the draft. Joe Alexander, Chris D-Roberts, and Brandon Rush are possibilities.

None of the three names mentioned are remotely close to realistic.

15. dram1

dram1 Member

They'll be looking to get major contracts which the Rockets won't be writing. They are not worth major contracts anyway. This is 6-7 mill/year talent we're talking about. But they'll be wanting a lot more. Sad thing is some stupid team will give it to them.

16. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

Deng and Gordon are not worth 10 million a year. :rolleyes:

17. dram1

dram1 Member

I think CDR and Rush have played themselves out of the Rockets range.
    Rockets will be looking at the likes of Roy Hibbert and Tyler Smith. ALthough some draft boards show Mario Chalmers and DJ White within range. Chalmers would be nice. I know we are backed up at the point and weak at the front, but this kid has poise...he closes games, and wins them (see also NCAA Title game and also 3pt shot that that had the Memphis Tigers tightening their calimaries.)

As far as Artest is concerned....HELL NO!!!! He is a good player on a bad team at best. But he is not of our society. I see him mouthing off to Adelman and getting into scuffles with TMac. So...VETOE this!!!

18. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

So u don't think scola has plateued? I guess next yr he will all of a sudden get longer and more explosive to deal with more atheletic 4's? Okefor allows the team to have a legit weakside/strongside rebounder and shot blocker and 3rd scorer. He also slides over and play center when landry comes in. He also gives flexibility and a legit option if Yao gets hurt again.

Once again, we're talking about scola, jackson, and head for a guy that can be 15ppg 10rebs and 2blks and is still younger than Scola. I don't see the problem.

19. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

You're making this judgement after not even a full season of him being in the NBA?

20. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Okafor is a nice player but he's a bad fit for the Rockets IMO. The Rockets play their best with a 4 than can hit the mid-range shot. While Okafor can give the Rockets extra defense and rebounding, offensively he doesn't give you much more than Hayes would. Granted he would finish a lot better, but point being is that he would not help space the opposing team's defense for Yao to operate down low. Besides, the Rockets are consistently one of the best defensive and rebounding teams in the league as it is.