1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2007 NFL Mock Draft

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by BigSherv, Jan 7, 2007.

1. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

Guys,

I know it is early but throw out how you feel the draft will go down

1 Oakland Raiders 2-14 .555
    2 Detroit Lions 3-13 .523
    3 Cleveland Browns# 4-12 .535
    4 Tampa Bay Buccaneers# 4-12 .535
    5 Arizona Cardinals 5-11 .500
    6 Washington Redskins 5-11 .512
    7 Minnesota Vikings 6-10 .488
    8 Houston Texans 6-10 .504
    9 Miami Dolphins 6-10 .543
    10 Atlanta Falcons 7-9 .457
    11 San Francisco 49ers 7-9 .500
    12 Buffalo Bills 7-9 .574

(in all honesty I put this thread out there to see if there is any chance of us drafting Peterson)

2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

It looks like the Texans do have a slight chance to land Peterson as all the teams ahead of them look like they have st RBs in place but you never know. Hopefully the Texans will address their offensive line and defensive backfield through the draft as well as free agency too.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

If Peterson gets passed the Browns, there is a really good chance he'll be there at #8. However...there might be a smaller chance that we actually take him if he there.

Here's how I see the draft going down so far:

1. Raiders- Jamarcus Russell
    2. Lions- Brady Quinn
    3. Browns- Adrian Peterson
    4. Bucs- Calvin Johnson
    5. Cardinals- Joe Thomas
    6. Redskins- Alan Branch
    7. Vikings- Gaines Adams
    8. Texans- Laron Landry: With Branch off board, they go w/ best defender.
    9. Dolphins- Quentin Moses
    10. Falcons- Reggie Nelson

4. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

I think Browns will take AP at 3 :(

5. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

I still think more than likely the Texans address OL, DL, or LB issues first. If the combine numbers are really outstanding, then AP (if available) or Marshawn are possibilities.

Most of this will be narrowed based on how the Texans are able to address some of their issues of concern through the FA.

If they get Turner from SD, then if Thomas is off the board (as anticipated), I see them attempting a trade down where they could double up and get say Levi Brown or Joe Staley along with addressing the safety issue, getting LaRon Landry or Posluzny (LB) could be another possibility. Glenn Dorsey (DL) could help bolster a DL that is promising depending on how well Mario improves in his sophomore season. All those aforementioned are possibilities and would fill needs no matter what.

If we can also get Adalius Thomas, then they narrow to probably going for Levi Brown in mid 1st round and maybe try to get Joe Staley in the 2nd.

If no Turner but have Thomas & Clements or Samuel, then I think Michael Bush as an early 2nd may be a viable option in filling RB need.

So, just one scenario with this team is difficult because typically the 1st round picks are generally unpredictable for the Texans and they have multiple issues still.

My gut right now ...

1. Oak-J Russell
    2. Det-B Quinn
    3. Cle-T Smith -Hinges on Natl Championship performance-could happen.
    4. TB-C Johnson
    5. Az-D Jarrett
    6. Wash-G Adams
    7. Min-A Branch
    8. Hou-A.P. , M Lynch or J Thomas --too difficult to narrow.
    9. Mia-Q Moses
    10. Atl-R Nelson

1st 10 picks they are cornerstone picks. Major pieces of your franchise.

Typically DB's dont go top 10. All top 3 need QB's. Troy Smith would potentially make the Browns are better, more attractive draw. Jarrett teamed with Leinart and perhaps Chow also looks like a no-brainer.

For the Texans, Peterson may just be too much a talent to overlook. That's why I went either or. Some here may disagree, but I think this group is a possibility. Many ways we can go but, IMO if AP is available and there is considerable belief that he will not be a injury liability, else maybe go with Lynch-possibly. We need a game changer in the worst way!

6. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

Joe Thomas does not fall past Arizona. They need a LT.

Why do they take Jarrett? They have Fitzgerald and Bolden. :confused:

7. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Why does Arizona take receivers every year? That's been they're pattern, and while unlikely, I hope it holds true.

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

They already have 2 probowl recievers, now they are drafting another

9. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Call it a gut instinct, Jarrett and Leinart had good chemistry at USC plus, if Chow does go to Arizona, that would be a good setup for them to start. Then, potentially they go and trade Boldin for draft pick to pick up an OL late 1st/early 2nd. Yeah, I know about Fitzgerald and Boldin combination but, Jarrett is far more athletic option than Boldin. You know what they say, you can never underestimate the power of chemistry. It would be a perfect fit IMHO!

10. Major

Major Member

There's no way in hell that a team is going to draft at one of their strengths and trade their proven young superstar to replace him with an unknown, when they have holes all over the team. Fitz and Boldin are a perfect combination for that team. Their offensive skill positions are all set - their next focus is the OL and defense.

11. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Ok, relax it's an opinion. I'm not necessarily right or wrong, it's just a thought. That's all! Honestly, everyone on this board and everyone at ESPN and everyone at NFL draft war rooms have mostly no idea what is going to happen.

Not until the combines and then FA pickups are made, will the field actually narrow to what needs still need to be filled in the draft. Besides, you dont know that maybe Arizona fills the LT by FA or some trade (hey it could happen!)

Now, why dont you humor us with your mock draft since you apparently know it all!

12. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

remind me never to trust your gut instincts.

Boldin has been one of the best WR's in the NFL since he broke into the league. Consistently catching a bunch of balls. Like Major said, perfect combination.

Remember that Chow didn't go to Tennessee and take Leinart.. same way, he's not just gonna say bring me Jarrett if he goes to AZ.

Detroit tried this WR-every-year tactic, and look where it got them.. and that's with Matt Millen. Obviously only Isiah would do something equally stupid, and for now, Isiah is with the Knicks, not the Cardinals.

13. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

also, I don't think we'll go Landry top 10. It's rare to take a DB that high...and lately, they haven't worked out quite as well as people have hoped. Even Roy (OU Roy) is having his share of problems now.

Gotta go OL/DL if it's there I think (assuming AP is off)

14. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

He didnt take Leinart because Bud said they were taking VY! Chow never had a say.

15. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Furthermore, if you had bothered to read all I wrote instead of just perusing my mock draft picks, you would see that I said this one will be difficult to narrow even with just a few options. The Texans can go so many ways and still accidentally improve because our talent level overall is so bad. We literally need to scrap half our roster because we either have no talent or no depth or both. For the record, as I stated with Major it's just a freakin opinion. I just threw something out there. There is almost always one or two that are initially projected as late 1st/early 2nd and as well in reverse late blue chippers to early 2nds sometimes going in the top 10.

The Jarrett idea was one purely of instant chemistry plus, Jarrett would do a much better at stretching the defenses than would Boldin IMO! Do you deny this as a possibility?

Why dont you humor us with your crystal ball picks or is it just easier for you and Major to crap all over everyone elses ideas? :rolleyes:

16. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

In the first round a team should always draft under these criteria-

1. Will he be a playmaker and a starter?
    2. Will he become an all pro?
    3. Do we have a playmaker and a starter at that position.

Need should be the last thing considered.

Draft the best player.

The trouble with GM's is they don't go for the obvious sure thing and they often draft based upon need. That is why Mario was not the best pick. They ran that excuse out there that we 'needed' someone to rush Peyton Manning.

NEVER draft for need unless the first two criteria are met.

Last season the top 5 players were-

VY
    Leinhart
    Brick
    Bush
    Mario

IMHO- we really reached to take Mario #1- I hope he proves out to be an All Pro.

17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

No way the Cards take Jarrett, especially if a stud tackle like Joe Thomas is available. Leinart and Jarrett did have great chemistry, but the Cards may have the WORST OL in the NFL and Chow would recognize this first and formost.

Jarrett is more athletic than Boldin, but what about Fitzgerald? It wouldn't matter how good the chemistry would be if the OL wasn't fixed. Trying to have 3 stud WRs doesn't work, ask the Lions.

18. pollaxt

pollaxt Contributing Member

Not to mention, Arizona has another top-10 pick in the slot in Bryant Johnson.

19. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Maybe but Cleveland needs a QB more than RB. So keep hope alive.

20. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Ok, gucci understand that but, is my scenario all that crazy? I mean it's possible they may pull Staley or Levi Brown either later in round 1 or early round 2, because Jarrett would just be an amazing pick for them and make them mad explosive. I appreciate you at least giving intelligent insight on what I said vice just crapping all over my idea. I personally dont think it's that crazy. Hey, the Browns could take Troy Smith should be go mad game vs Florida tonite, you never know.