1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2006 NFL Mock

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by giddyup, Jan 1, 2006.

1. mateo

mateo Member

The Jets have too many holes themselves. No way they would offer up that trade. Chad is not their long-term solution at QB, nor is Bollinger. Martin's career with them may be over. And their WR corp is mediocre at best.

Herm wont sell his draft for Bush. Too many holes to fill this offseason.

Cutler to TN is intriguing, but it would kill me because I cannot bring myself to root for a Bud Adams team.....yet I am psyched to see Cutler in the NFL.

D'Brick had a rather pedestrian senior year, so I wouldn't bet the farm on him at this point.

2. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Hell yeah you would have to consider a trade like that, I don't see it happening though.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Member

That would ba great package for the #1 overall, not sure if teams would be willing to give up that much though, that's a lot of good picks. I'd be completely sold on this if Casserly wouldn't be the guy manning the picks.

As for VY, his decision will be soley based on the RB in my opinion. If UT wins, he's good as gone, but if we lose, he'll be back.

4. Dream34

Dream34 Member

Although I don't see this happening. I could see the Titans also getting into the mix to move up to the #1 slot. The Titans could offer a smiliar package of draft picks (with the exception of the their third round pick which they traded to the Bills). If the Titans had their 3rd round pick I would say it would have been more of a possability. I can also see the Titans easily moving back in the draft to take on additional picks. They have numerous holes to fill.

I think Jay Cutler at 3 is way to high. I know his draft stock is soaring (and this is before the combines at Indy). But # 3 is way to high for Cutler. I see the Titans taking D-Brickshaw at #3. If D-Brick is all that he is cracked up to be, I think it is a solid pick if you have a Left Tackle that will be in your lineup the next 10-12 seasons. I was not impressed by his senior year. I would also like drafting A. J. Hawk but Floyd Reese does not draft linebackers that high. Plus this draft is loaded with quality linebackers. So the Titans could easily get a quality linebacker with their 2nd round pick.

5. mateo

mateo Member

No way the Titans trade up either. They are abyssmally bad, with no good future in sight. Peter King put it best this morning in his collumn:

e. The Titans look very, very far away from being any good.

plus

c. Pacman Jones. What a baby. What an immature little doofus.

(what did Pacman do?)

6. giddyup

giddyup Member

1. He got arrested between the draft and negotiating a contract
    2. He showed up for negotions and put himself center-stage by bragging on himself
    3. He held out for more money
    4. He made little or no impact on the field
    5. He bragged on himself again... :D

7. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Texans-Bush
    Saints-Leinart
    Titans-Ferguson
    Jets-Maroney
    Packers-AJ Hawk

8. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

This will be the first draft since 02 that we will pick the player that most of the fans want

2002- Carr. Fans wanted Carr
    2003- A. Johnson. Fans wanted McGahee (before the Ohio State Injury)
    2004- D. Robinson. Fans wanted Sean Taylor
    2005- T. Johnson. Fans wanted Derrick Johnson
    2006- REGGIE REGGIE REGGIE REGGIE REGGIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Fegwu

Fegwu Member

Classic!

I love it [echo].....

:D

10. BranJ17

BranJ17 Member

Do people realize that there are just as many quality offensive lineman drafted in the 4th round then in the 1st round? I think if the Texans can bring star power and a playmaker to the team, they should.

11. mateo

mateo Member

Great point. People seem to forget here that DBrick isnt a sure thing either... he has the build and the great Jr. year but this year has raised some doubts. And lets not forget Robert Gallery. Or Jordan Gross. These guys were drafted in the first round as OT and have been outperformed by O-linemen drafted in later rounds.

12. T-Dogg

T-Dogg Member

Jets are going to make a play for Daunte Culpepper, so they may give up some picks to get Reggie Bush.

13. giddyup

giddyup Member

How do you envision them going after both? Do they have a boatload of extra draft choices or something?

14. Dubious

Dubious Member

If Vince comes out I would trade Carr for vetern help, either OL or defense (Vilma?) and draft Vince. You get help where you need it and a new hometown fan favorite that would be THE face for the franchise; and take a lot of the disappointment away from not drafting Bush.

Vince may not be the proto-pro quarterback but there are 32 teams in the NFL and only a few of them are going to win enough to please the fans. You might as well get a player fans will invest in and have a passion for. It's the living AND dying with your team that builds fan loyalty. And beside I personallythink he will kick ass in about his third year as a pro.

Here's a link you can check every day for the next 116 days

15. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Member

NO will be good with Matt L...We need an OL in a bad way, but you can't pass Bush...

16. T-Dogg

T-Dogg Member

I heard about Culpepper and the Jets on the radio. I ask this, would u give up the 4th pick in the draft for a quarterback who is recovering from an injury. Or would u give a 2nd round pick for the quarterback and give up the 4th pick, their 3rd round pick and a 1 pick next year for Reggie Bush? ;)

17. Two Sandwiches

I don't think the Texans would give up the number one for the number 4, a third rounder, and a future number one. We can get more for it. ;)

18. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Member

This is absolutely the right attitude to have in regards to trading the first overall pick. The Texans need to ask for the farm and everything not nailed down to give up the first pick.

The Reggie Bush "hype machine" needs to continue to roll and make some of the GM's and owners out there believers in his ability to want to give up whatever it takes to acquire Bush.

As crazy as it sounds, I'm still not sold on Reggie Bush.

Can he carry the ball 20-25 times a game and withstand the hits for a 16-game season?

Bush has averaged 13-15 carries a game and split time with another outstanding RB in LenDale White. He has the ability to make defenders miss, but in the NFL there will be defenders that can catch up to him and will lay the lumber to him.

Can he run between the tackles straight up?

Reggie Bush has great lateral speed and change of direction, but this has been one of the biggest questions surrounding him. With his speed he can hit the hole quickly and can get upfield, but more often that not I've seen him stretch the field and then move upward.

Is a running back really what the Texans need?

With DD missing the last two games injured yet again, it would seem that the Texans need a RB who is consistently healthy, like question #1, can Bush hold up with the physicality of the NFL. When DD is healthy he averages 1000 yards a season, and with the emergence of Jonathan Wells and the drafting of Vernand Morency you have options in the backfield.

Is Reggie Bush so talented and such a "can't miss" prospect that the Texans cannot afford to pass him up?

There have been a ton of can't miss prospects, whether they be QB's, RB's, WR's, OL's, LB's, the draft is not an exact science and trading down does involve the risk of missing out on an exceptional player and gambling that you can hit right on with the rest of your picks. If you keep the top pick and draft RB, then the Texans ned to do everything in their power to ensure that this guy is worth investment (money, time, scheme).

There is also the lure of wathcing RB and fans flocking to the stadium to see him. That would make McNair happy to see AIS and people buying more Texans gear. On top of that the Texans would probably get more national coverage which is never a bad thing. But if Bush struggles and the team flounders, the novelty will wear off fast, because ultimately winning is what puts AIS and gets you national coverage.

The ultimate question I have is will the Texans benefit more from drafting Bush at position that is not of immediate need or is trading the pick and acquiring more picks and perhaps players more beneficial in the long run?

19. juicystream

juicystream Member

1. Texans - Reggie Bush (At this point it is obvious who is going #1)
    2. Saints - Matt Leinart (A complete opposite of Brooks)
    3. Titans - Vince Young (Time to replace Mcnair)
    4. Jets - Deangelo Williams (Replace Martin)
    5. Packers - AJ Hawk (Would give them a solid LB corps with Barnett & Diggs)
    6. Raiders - Jay Cutler (Collins may be through in Oakland)
    7. 49ers - D' Brickashaw Ferguson (Best player left for a team with many holes)
    8. Bills - Haloti Ngata (Run defense was poor)
    9. Lions - Demeco Ryans
    10. Cardinals - Jimmy Williams

20. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

It would be interesting to see if the Titans would take Young that early (if he declares). I know that Vince and Steve McNair have a history together and are very close. McNair has been somewhat of a father figure to him over the years. That would be a great situation for Vince I think.