1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2004 NBA DRAFT - Trying to Decipher What We Have

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocksolid, Feb 12, 2004.

1. rocksolid

rocksolid Member

Thinking where the Rocks will have picks in the '04 Draft, I'm extremely confused...this is what I could find on nbadraft.net.

Houston receives:

(1) A Chicago first round pick in 2004, (top 20 protected) or 2 future Chicago second-round picks in 2005 and 2006. If the pick is protected in '04, the second rounders will be exercised instead. (Bryce Drew trade 092800)

(2) A 2004 Utah second-round pick and a conditional second-round pick. (Glen Rice trade 093003)

Houston gives up:

(3) To UTAH = A future Houston (conditional) first-round pick (Glen Rice trade 093003).

(4) To DENVER = A future Houston second-round pick. (Posey trade 121802)

(5) To NEW YORK = A future Houston second-round pick (Van Gundy)

===========================================

With that, the Chicago 1st round pick will be protected, so we will get the two 2nd rounders (2005 and 2006).

We get a 2nd rounder from Utah in 2004, and will most likely give up our 1st round pick to Utah.

Therefore, I guess best case we have multiple 2nd round picks in '04...:confused:

2. GATER

GATER Member

You guess right. Who cares? A #19+ pick is a crap shoot that will get no PT under JVG and we've got a $7m trade exception. If draft picks were all that, the Eastern Conference wouldn't be the joke that it is. (See Chicago Bulls).

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Both our first round pick (lottery-protected) AND the Chicago obligation go to Utah... it's viewed as "two first round picks" going to Utah, but will almost definitely be our first round pick and two second rounders from Chicago.

4. rocksolid

rocksolid Member

Not sure that's completely intuitive, but what would that leave us with in 2004???

Just our 2nd round pick?

5. A-Train

A-Train Member

The Knicks get one of our draft picks because we hired a guy that hadn't coached them in over two seasons? That makes sense...

6. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Most likely the rocks will have just the Kings 2nd rounder this year, which could very well be Mr. irrelevant.

7. rocksolid

rocksolid Member

Kings???

8. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Member

kings 2nd rounder from the keon clark deal.

9. roswell raygun

Keon Clark deal?

10. eric.81

eric.81 Member

He was part of the three way that brought us "man-boobs" (and along w/ mooch, Weatherspoon) and the departure of the injured and financially overwhelming Glen Rice.

11. rocksolid

rocksolid Member

What???

12. A-Train

A-Train Member

OK, the Jazz traded for Keon Clark, so I'm assuming they got a second rounder for him, which they gave to us in the Glen Rice deal. Since it was the Kings' pick in the first place, it'd dependent on where they finish, which will most likely be #55-#60

13. AGBee

AGBee Member

I say bring on the 2nd round picks. I think the Rockets are more likely to find a gem among the turds in the 2nd round (whereas the opposite seems to be true in the first round).

BTW, is Malick dominating yet?

14. ArtV

ArtV Member

We own the 2nd to last (or last) pick in the second round - I'm not sure there are any gems there but I'm sure that won't stop this board from digging through the dirt looking.

15. lalala902102001

If we only have the Kings' pick (a very late second rounder), we'd better look oversea and hope to get a Manu Ginobilli somewhere (Manu was picked by the Spurs with the 58th pick in 99').

16. Nero

Nero Member

This team needs a guy named SASHA!!

(seriously, look it up)