1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

200 million to watch 'Yao-Yi II'

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bluerap04, Feb 2, 2008.

1. chenglug

chenglug Contributing Member

I think even the poorest people in China should have a TV right now. Most middle-class families have at least two at their home. Com'on, TV is not a luxury stuff any more in China.

And I believe 200 million is only under-estimated. Last time when I visited my relatives who are farmers. I was surprised that they all watch Yao's games. And this one is yao vs yi, and being broadcasted in almost every channel in china, so you don't need to have cable or anything, you will get to watch it.

2. JustWannaChill

I wouldn't be surprised if this yaomanyax and you are the same person. You guys are also known as rofflesarsuholz.

ekim = rofflesaurusholz = yaomanyax

3. JustWannaChill

Read this sorry human being's post in another thread:

yaomanyax aka ekim aka rofflesaurusholz's hate post

Anyone with half a brain should be able to see that this tard was only trying to stir up hate towards Yao's fans by pissing off the other Rockets fans. He tried too hard to be outrageous and therefore has made himself too obvious. How dumb. What a sorry piece of SYOBH.

4. aaronbrooks_ab

such posters must be banned immediately. We don' need such garbage on this board.

5. poprocks

poprocks Member

Yi vs Yao II The Fizzle

Huge disappointment. This wasn't Yao vs Shaq. That was huuuuugggee!! Those Yao only haters need to take notice. A lot of Yao being shut down was due to the defensive tactics from the Bucks. They had him doubled teamed whenever he was in the game. However, that double team allowed T-Mac to go off.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=714039
    China watches 'Dragons' go at it
    Yao's Rockets get better of Yi, Bucks
    By CHARLES F. GARDNER
    cgardner@journalsentinel.com
    Posted: Feb. 2, 2008
    Calm on the outside, Milwaukee Bucks rookie Yi Jianlian had to feel a bit of nervousness Saturday night.

Countrymen Yao Ming and Yi Jianlian battle for a rebound.

www.yisworld.com
    A Chinese-language multimedia site chronicling Yi Jianlian's journey in the
    The scene was the Bradley Center for a game between the Bucks and Houston Rockets, and there was a real buzz inside the building.

But it was nothing compared to the intense interest in China, where the matchup was billed a "Meeting of Two Dragons" by Chinese basketball fans.

"Of course I have it," Yi said of feeling a bit more pressure than usual. "But it's definitely a motivator to play better."

Yi struggled with his shooting touch throughout the game, hitting just 1 of 10 shots in the Bucks' 91-83 loss to the Rockets. Yao had only three points at halftime but ultimately fared better, finishing with 12 points, 12 rebounds and three blocked shots in 38 minutes.

Yi had six points and seven rebounds in 30 minutes, and he had to leave briefly in the first half to check out his right shoulder.

"I hit it a little bit, and I went in the locker room to check it out," Yi said. "The doctor looked at it, and there weren't any big problems, so I came back out."

Yao said he knew the television audience was large in China, and he admitted he had a few butterflies when thinking about the matchup.

"Actually, Yi is not the first Chinese player I've matched up in a game, but it still feels special for me," Yao said. "During my rookie year I played against Wang Zhizhi on the court.

"It is big, and to be honest I was a little bit nervous last night. It feels like, wow, it's a playoff game or something. I just tried to tell myself, 'It's a playoff game, go through it. Run the game plan, and just play like we played last night (against Indiana).' "

Yao had 28 points in the first meeting with the Bucks in November, so Milwaukee coach Larry Krystkowiak switched tactics and double-teamed the big man every time he touched the ball.

So while Yao was held down, Rockets guard Tracy McGrady scored 33 points and grabbed 11 rebounds, while helping Houston pull away in the fourth quarter.

"Taking the ball out of Yao's hands was pretty good, but our rotations were pretty sketchy," Krystkowiak said.

Yi's only basket came early in the game and gave the Bucks a 4-2 lead.

He was 1 for 6 from the field in the first half and missed all four shots he took in the second half.

"I think he rebounded the ball pretty well and was active going up and down the floor," Krystkowiak said. "Defensively he was pretty solid.

"He didn't make shots, and if there's anybody in the building would like to have a few of them back, he's the guy. He didn't play bad."

Yao said he thought Yi had improved dramatically since the first meeting between the teams.

"He's very strong," Yao said. "Look at his defense; he has so much more control over his opponent. I hope he will have the confidence to keep shooting."

Nearly 2 hours before tip-off, Yi and Yao met at center court and shook hands, while cameras clicked and Chinese dignitaries watched. The two giants posed for photos, and for a moment, the 7-foot Yi seemed dwarfed by the 7-foot-6 Yao.

"It's great for the game, great for the NBA," said Rockets forward Carl Landry, a rookie from Milwaukee who was making a homecoming in front of family and friends.

"Yao and Yi, two guys from China going up against each other, two phenomenal players."

The 27-year-old Yao's success is well-documented, and he will play in his sixth NBA All-Star Game in as many years when New Orleans hosts the event later this month.

Yi is only beginning his journey after being selected sixth overall by the Bucks in last year's draft. He has played and started in all 48 games this season.

Yi was discovered at age 12 and eventually blossomed with the Guangdong Tigers of the Chinese Basketball Association, where he won three championships in five seasons before joining the Bucks.

Both players wished a happy Lunar New Year to their fans in China, and both expressed concern for the millions of people in the country affected by the harsh winter weather.

"For those who didn't make it home (for the holiday), I hope they get home as early as possible," Yao said. "I'm hoping a great country can pass through this disaster more quickly. This is a first priority for our country."

The Bradley Center crowd was announced as a sellout and featured a large contingent of Chinese fans, including Chinese Americans from Milwaukee and Chicago.

Two engineers for General Electric and GE Healthcare, David Shi and Samuel Lu, were lucky enough to have their business trip coincide with the Yi-Yao matchup. Both men are from Wuxi, a city of 6 million in the eastern part of China.

"I think Yi's potential is even better than Yao," Shi said. "It's just his first season. After two or three seasons, I believe he will be the best player for the Bucks."

6. JustWannaChill

That piece of garbage will just come back with other screen names. That's why the internet is so great for these cowards. They can spread hate by typing when hiding behind their computer. These cowards wouldn't even dare to whisper a word of what they typed here in real life. I really feel sorry for ekim aka rofflesarusholz aka yaomanyax's parents. What a wasted effort to have bred a piece of garbage like this sorry human being.