1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

20 reasons to pull for Mavs in this Finals

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by _RTM_, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

Yes, he took an easy way out. (the *easiest*)

No, he may not have as good of a team as the former champs do. But those things develop. You don't surrender and go to a team with a MVP caliber type player.

He does not have as good of a team as the former legends did. Does that change the fact that he took the easiest way out? No. No. No.

2. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

i'm talking about 4-7

3. clippy

clippy Member

I don't think there's a player in the NBA that wouldn't go to a better team if they could. They all want to win titles because that is the point of the game. Two things hold them back: 1) Money and 2) Glory (stats, playing time, etc). I consider sacrificing #2 to be a positive, not a negative, but view as you will.

Kobe had his foot out the door in the preseason of 2008 because he didn't like his team. The quote was "I'd rather play on Pluto". Then management got him Gasol and he was happy. Management did no such thing for LeBron, so he did it himself.

This rule of yours about intentionally going to lesser teams is one of the dumbest things I've heard on this board, and that says a lot. Even when you are on a good team, it guarantees nothing. Should the USA send 2nd tier guys to the Olympics so we won't blow everyone out of the water? Oh wait, we couldn't even do that with our 1st tier guys.

4. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

but your talking about simple role players which every championship teams have

did Chalmers not hit a big shot last night?

Ariza? really? cool he plays great D.. now he is a ZERO factor in the NBA

5. clippy

clippy Member

LOL @the easiest way out. The easiest way out would have been signing with the Lakers or Celtics for the vet. minimum. Like Malone & Payton did.

6. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

there is enought talent and support on this Heat team to win. And it's not too far behind any other championship team. Many of the heat 4-7 could start on teams in the NBA

7. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Magic and Jordan all were playing with MVP caliber players. Kareem won an MVP. Pippen finished 4th when they finally let him be the man.

8. Outlier

Outlier Member

Those guys only *seem* better because they already won the championship. If this Heat team wins it too they'll be seen in a different light. Laker fans complained about Odom before they won rings. Same with Antoine Fisher. Eddie House. James Posey. And many more. These guys weren't the greatest of role players, but since they won they are perceived differently.

9. Outlier

Outlier Member

You know... I could easily call you dumb for not understanding my point (even when it is so damn simple), but I won't... Sad you have to resort to that.

10. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

The Heat's 4-7 are:

Haslem
    Anthony
    Miller
    Bibby

If those 4 guys impress you then we will never agree. Yez I would rather have:

Bynum
    Artest/Ariza
    Fisher (at least he hit shots in the 09 and 10 playoffs)
    Brown

or

Rondo
    Perkins
    Posey
    House (at least he hit his shots in 08)
    Big Baby
    Brown
    Cassell

11. Drift Monkey

Drift Monkey Member

You only need 1 reason to root against the Mavs.

1. ***** Dallas and their fans.

12. ApuN

ApuN Member

Stupid Blockhead argument stupid stupid stupid...

The guy gave 8 years, the situation was only going down hill.

Management had eight years to "develop" something

He played with a bunch of slappys. Thats why Cleveland is hot garbage now and pretty much proved LeBrons point.

Kobe basically did the same thing in 2007

There is no honor in losing year end and year out

13. clippy

clippy Member

I'm fine with you calling me dumb because I don't get your point, but I wish you'd actually clarify it. It seems to me that you are OK with superstars teaming up as long as it isn't through trades or free-agency. Or if players aren't quite MVP-caliber (whatever that means) then it's OK. So if you have an in-house superteam like the dynasty Bulls, then the other teams are pretty much **** out of luck unless they can get lucky in the draft or something.

The point of the game is to win. Players and teams should do whatever they can within the rules to optimize their chance of winning. The main rule in place is money because everyone wants to get PAID and not abusing this is the whole point of the CBA. But beyond that, it is idiotic to "hold back" in the spirit of competition or whatever-- **** that, let other teams compete with you. Also, by your logic, you have to setup all kinds of rules about what is and isn't fair play. Why is it fair to team up with KG but not Wade? How about Ray Allen? Who is Howard allowed to go to? Is Blake Griffin "MVP caliber" or would that be abusive? What if you go to a stacked team with no MVPs, is that ok? I mean, it's absurd. By joining the Heat, LeBron got superstar talent in return for less depth. That's what the CBA does.

14. Outlier

Outlier Member

Okay this is so ridiculous so I'll try to make this short and sweet:

FIRST, you have to start with each team's three best,

(when I do > or < it means their contribution)

Wade>>> Pierce
    LeBron >>>>>>> Allen
    Bosh <<< KG
    Rondo cancels out LeBron's advantage over Allen
    Anthony is about to establish himself as equal to Perkins
    Posey, House, Big Baby --- these guys don't have that much of a great advantage over Haslem, Miller, Bibby. Calm down.

Now the Lakers:

Wade < Kobe
    LeBron >>> Gasol
    Bosh << Bynum
    Almost evens out.
    Artest > anybody (but not really)
    Ariza is a nobody, equal to Bibby or Haslem
    Fisher vs Bibby (Bibby can still prove himself)

slight advantage to the Lakers.

15. Outlier

Outlier Member

I *have* clarified it, many times.

And the Jordan with the Bulls didn't start as a dynasty until over time.

The other teams are ****ed because they have bad management.

The players on the other hand have their choice, they can leave or stay, that's up to them. (but to go to a team with a MVP rivalry player? p***y)

I've only made up one rule of fair play. And you know it. And I explained the KG issue.

16. clippy

clippy Member

So what if LeBron went to the Pistons in '05. They had no MVP caliber players. Would that have been OK?

17. Shrimz

Shrimz Member

Great article!

18. Outlier

Outlier Member

The Pistons in 05. They wouldn't have cap space. To make it realistic, remove some players say, Hamilton and Prince. LeBron joining a team with Billups and B. Wallace and Sheed? Solid team. No complaints.

19. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

exactly, some people are just so lebron nutts happy

20. clippy

clippy Member

Well, say we cut Prince out (since LBJ replaces him) and make up the rest in the bench (I don't know what the salaries were then but this is strictly hypothetical anyway). So you have the four all-stars (not superstars) + LeBron. Seems fair. That team would probably win 82 games BTW.

I just looked it up and Barkley averaged 23/12 the year before he joined Houston, so surely he was a superstar then. Hakeem and Drexler were both 20+ scorers prior to the merger too. I'm sure this has to violate one of your rules.