1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

20 reasons to pull for Mavs in this Finals

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by _RTM_, Jun 3, 2011.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

disagree

2. Outlier

Outlier Member

See that's why I hate the Lakers, they're incredibly lucky. But Magic sort of just joined that team. There was no "decision". Very fortunate for him he was able to join a great team from the get go. But if he wasn't fortunate and ended up on a bad team from the start then wanted to join, say, Jordan's team by his choice alone and not request to be traded or anything, then there's the loss of respect.

3. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

So you agree that Magic, Jordan and Bird, and basically every star that won in the last 30 years not named Hakeem (one time) or Duncan (one time) won with more talent than the Heat have today? Because if you admit that Jordan had a better supporting cast, then how is LeBron taking the easy way out when at the end of the day, his team is still worse than the team Jordan had? :confused::confused::confused:

4. Outlier

Outlier Member

Again, for the 999th time, it is okay to go to a different team, just not to a rival or a team with a player who competes against you for the title of being the best player in the NBA.

5. Outlier

Outlier Member

Look, all ways that involved leaving the worst team in the NBA was an easy way out. Joining another MVP was the *EASIEST* way out. That's all I'm saying.

6. clippy

clippy Member

But it's ok if you just happen to be on the same team, like Magic/Kareem or Kobe/Shaq. Is that right? By your logic, those players should demand trades in the spirit of good competition.

7. clippy

clippy Member

Did you watch prime Kareem? I'm talking pre 1980 Kareem here.

8. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

Wade-Bosh

is better than Pippen-who ever you want this person to be on the bulls

those 3 joined forces to win.

MJ drafted, Pippen drafted. Maybe Pippen would never be great if he didn't start his career with MJ???

The same can be said with Kobe to an extent, Kobe after, and is just flat out better than Pippen.

9. Outlier

Outlier Member

Life isn't fair. Why would players demand trades? They should want to make a name for themselves. Jordan didn't start with a great team, did he demand a trade? No, management helped him win.

10. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

i mean can you really tell me that 4-7 on the heat are really that much worse than other championship teams?? like so bad it's not even close? there is no way

11. Icehouse

You're the man for getting good fortune. You're a punk for making your own good fortune, even if that puts you in a worse position that the guy who was blessed with the good fortune.

12. Outlier

Outlier Member

Again, that is not at all what I'm saying... Jesus...

13. Icehouse

Yes, and by God, I don't see how ANYONE who has been watching this team through the postseason can say otherwise. I'll put it this way, when one of their shooters makes an open jumper (Bibby, Miller, Chalmers), you are surprised. They benched all of their starting centers. They are closing games with a dude who just came off injury and a SF who needs surgery on both of his hands this summer.

Yes, this is the worst contending 5-12 players that I have ever seen.

14. clippy

clippy Member

Right, and management didn't help LeBron, so he got out. I mean, he gave them 8 years. He resigned after his first contract even though Cleveland showed no signs they were going to get better. Howard and CP3 will likely bolt sooner. I wouldn't be shocked in the least if Durant leaves in five years too.

I'd think that if you were drafted to a crappy team and it didn't look to be getting better, you'd go to the situation that gave you the best chance of winning, while still getting paid. That's what LeBron did. It's not like he's on an all-star team. He went to a bad team (hadn't even gotten past the first round since 2005) and teamed up with one other guy (who too hadn't gotten past the first round ever). The rest of the team is mostly journeymen. It's on the lesser end of dynasty teams and only has a chance at being a true dynasty because LeBron is that good. People are hating on the guy because he is good.

15. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

Hasleem
    Bibby
    Chalmers
    Joel Anthony

okay now pleae give me past champioship teams 4-7 and lets see how different they really are

16. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

i mean crap, lets assume with the lakers title 2 years ago

1) kobe
    2) gasol
    3) bynum

4) Odom
    5) Fisher
    6) Brown?
    7) Ariza?

i mean is it really that much better?

17. Icehouse

That is essentially what you are saying whether you realize it or not. And the only reason I say that is because you are comparing his route to the routes of other great players. Yet you fail to recignize that even by him taking the easy way out as you say, he still has less help that those other great players you mention. And as far as their good luck, you are like "well some folks just have good fortune". No ish, I get that. What's baffling to me is saying a dude is a punk for making a choice and still having less. Now I could get it if they formed a super-team that was the best we have ever seen take the court or at least clearly more talented than every other team this season. But the Celtics and Lakers are just as talented. And from a historical point of view, this teams talent still falls behind numeroud other title winning teams. So I can't connect "easy" with "still less talent".

18. Outlier

Outlier Member

You're a punk if of all the options you have, you choose to go to a team with a player who is capable of leading an okay team to the playoffs and is already a capable MVP as you are. It's really that simple.

And I am not at *all* saying never to leave your team (especially if they are obviously incapable of surrounding you with a decent team)

and for the final time... I don't hate him because he's good. I even acknowledge that he is the best. How many times must I repeat myself?

19. Outlier

Outlier Member

What part of joining a player who is an MVP (or at least capable one) not getting to your head?

20. Icehouse

Yes it is that much better. I guess you didn't see how dominant Gasol was playing when the Lakers won two titles. I guess you don't realize how valuable a 7 footer that can score and play defense is (Bynum). I guess you didn't notice the luxury of having a bench player (Odom) that can produce like your starting PF (Bosh). It's kind of important to have a PG that you can trust to hit big shots (Fisher). Brown and Chalmers are equal. I guess you missed all the big plays Ariza made in the title run. Replace him with Artest and the conclusion is still the same.

And then there is that minor detail called coaching. Because I'm sure Phil Jackson would have run out of timeouts, put Bosh on Dirk, and had his team not foul with 1 to give.