1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

20 reasons to pull for Mavs in this Finals

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by _RTM_, Jun 3, 2011.

1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

They weren't rivals they best ****ing friends. Rival would be Kobe v. LeBron.

2. clippy

clippy Member

So LeBron has to wait until he starts to deteriorate before he join another good player? Is that the unwritten rule? Wade must have hated Shaq joining up in 2005 (2nd in MVP that year, should have won it). I guess that title get an asterisk.

3. Outlier

Outlier Member

Again, I never said Jordan Johnson and Bird didn't have talent around them. All of those players were *the* MVP of their teams. Now imagine if one of them joined up with the other MVP. See?

4. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

You're kidding right, as to Jordan's early Bulls teams?
    Jordan played with another comparable star in Pippen. DWade is playing with LBJ and another regular all-star in Chris Bosh . Three bests two imho and the rest of the roster evens out. The Bulls roster during the 1st three peat wasn't exactly the best roster in the league at the time but they were the best team because they built a team around Jordan and Pippen.

5. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Yes I do. And title teams historically are stacked.

I didn't say feel bad for anyone. But it seems silly to me to say LeBron should keep playing with less talent when you guys can barely point to any examples of teams winning without enormous talent. It seems silly to me to hate on a guy wanting to join up with a star when 90% of the teams winning have multiple stars. Especially when his current team still has less talent than what most have won with. Again I ask, please list me 10 recent champions (last 3 decades) that won with less talent than the Heat. My assertion is that the majority of title winning teams had MORE talent than LeBron chose to align himself with.

There is no false logic game. My logic is quite simple. Most title teams have more talent than what is on the Heat roster. So why get mad at a guy for joining a team that still has less talent than the majority of teams that win titles? I'll reluctantly accept the 06 Heat but it's quite debatable. Even then, that's 4 in 30 years. The others??

No, I have lots of folks complaining that he took the easy way out. Yet his team is still less talented than most other title winning teams.

6. Outlier

Outlier Member

Rivals contending for the MVP.

7. clippy

clippy Member

Well, that may be the case, but I doubt Bosh would have gone to Cleveland anyway.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AN0WqSeCKW8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

While I am pulling for the Mavs, this list is extremely redundant. As was pointed out, about 5 reasons are actually one and the same.

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

LMAO.

10. clippy

clippy Member

Magic was the Lakers MVP from 80-84?

11. Outlier

Outlier Member

The rule is if you're in your prime and you're a contender for the MVP, don't join another team with a player who is a contender for the MVP too because it will make you look like a chump.

12. ferrari77

He doesn't/didn't have to but then he (and other fanboys) shouldn't b*tch when people choose to dislike him and his new team for that.
    Most NBA stars give it the old college try for longer than LeBron did with the Cavs and if they feel there is no way the team will win with them and the players around them then they move teams. He was obviously within his rights to do that but don't expect most fans to be cool with that.

13. Outlier

Outlier Member

Hypothetically, if they were all in their prime.

14. ferrari77

Really? Why? Because Joakim said(and we all already know this) Cleveland sucks?
    Well if the Cavs had LBJ on their team and kept retooling the pieces I doubt playing for the Cavs would have sucked so I stand by my belief that if LBJ made a concerted effort to bring Bosh to the Cavs then Bosh would have signed on.

15. Icehouse

You are still ignoring my question. You say you can't respect LeBron for joining Wade. A basketball team has 12 players. Kareem was better than Wade. Pippen is arguably as good as Wade. McHale isn't better than Wade but I'm sure most teams would gladly take McHale/Parish/DJ over Wade/Bosh. Just because Pippen wasn't winning MVP's, which Wade has never won by the way even though you say he is a MVP player, doesn't mean he wasn't just as great. For example, Wade hasn't been out of round 1 in the past 4 seasons. Pippen lost Jordan and almost took his team to the ECF's. There is no need to join another team with another MVP when you have a dude like that on your roster already.

So again I ask, can you name any title winning team that Jordan, Bird or Magic played on that had less talent than this Miami team that you say is taking the easy way out? The part I can't comprehend is how are the current Heat players taking the easy way out when they majority of title winning teams have more talent than their team has.

16. clippy

clippy Member

Uh, no.

Prime Kareem > prime Magic and it's not that close. And Kareem from '80-84 was better than Magic from '80-84. The Lakers were stacked.

Icehouse makes the best point in this thread in that the Heat are comparably stacked as other title contenders (the Mavs are overachieving). They are trying to build a dynasty and to do that you need multiple superstars-- not stars, superstars. That they did this through free agency is irrelevant.. the point is to win. I'd take the 80s Lakers, the 80s Celtics, the 90s Bulls over these current Heat.

17. Outlier

Outlier Member

I didn't ignore it. Talent level speaking Jordan had a great supporting cast. Better than LeBron's. But the point is Pippen was never contending for the MVP before he joined Jordan.

18. clippy

clippy Member

So Carmelo is a chump, right, since he joined MVP contender Amare while in his primes. Amare, btw, has just as many top MVP finishes as Wade.

Are you allowed to join all-stars, just not MVP contenders? And how do you define "contender" (since Wade only finished near the top one time)? I'm just trying to figure out this obscure rule for when I get into the NBA.

19. Icehouse

You are heavily discounting Horace Grant, who gave Chicago 13/8, 13/8, 14/10 on 52%, 55% and 58% shooting during the 3-peat. Chris Bosh is a better scorer than him. He is arguably better at everything else.

The first 3-peat team had legit centers (Cartwright and Perdue). They actually had guys who could do this amazing thing called hitting open shots (Paxson, Armstrong, Hodges).

The current Heat team does not have more talent than the Bulls first 3-peat teams.

20. clippy

clippy Member

So pretty much if you happen to be drafted onto a team that doesn't improve, you are **** out of luck until you are past your prime, is that right?