1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2 week notice- is it really necessary?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jackfruit, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Jackfruit

Jackfruit Contributing Member

I was made a job offer that I could not pass up. My new employer wants me to start with them on March 5th.

This is my dillemma....in my current position, I am due to receive my yearly bonus on March 2nd. A requirement to receive the bonus is that I am employed there on the day the bonus is paid out. If I give a 2 week notice this Friday, then I'm afraid that my employer will cut ties with me in order to save the bonus money.

The company policy is that a 2 week notice is encouraged, but not required. They also state in the employee handbook that the company may terminate employment prior to the notice date.

I really hate to not give my current employer a 2 week notice. But at the same time, my bonus is for 2011 work, and I don't want to jeopardize losing a good sum of money that I believe I have earned.

My questions:

a) Beyond bad will, are there any potential repercussions from me not giving a 2 week notice?

b) In the future, can my current employer disclose this to a future employer?

Thanks in advance.

2. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

If you are legitimately worried that your current company would screw you out of your bonus, you probably don't want to come back. You need consider this when deciding whether risking your bonus is worth the future benefit of giving notice (rehire, references, etc.).

Your job is a business. This is a business decision. If you don't give notice until after your bonus, you should explain it as a business decision.

3. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I would say it is important because whatever field you're working in, it's likely a small field and you will run into people again. Whether it's your current boss, peer, HR or whatever.
    With that said, I wouldn't jeopardize real money for the potential later of it impacting me. So I would not give notice.

4. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

it is not necessary, unless you want to be considered for rehire

1 person likes this.
  5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Just bail after the bonus. You earned it.

I'd be worried your employer will simply do the math and send you home immediately. Not only would you lose out on your bonus, but you'd also be out of 2 weeks worth of a paycheck.

It's a crappy position to be put in where nobody really wins, but you have to look out for yourself first.

If you need the reference that badly, find someone at your company that will vouch for you anyway and peace out.

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Some states require a two week notice, I believe. I know Texas doesn't. Beyond that I'm not sure. I would think the only real repercussions would be the bridge you would ultimately burn.

7. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

This, take the money and run...

How much is the bonus? If its a few hundred bucks, maybe it's not worth it..

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

^ This is not true from the standpoint of the employee. From the employer standpoint, yes, some not "at will" employment states requires the employer gives the employee 2 weeks notice.

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

I've always put in a notice a few weeks prior. I'm afraid bailing out like a ninja out of nowhere puts a bad taste between me and the company. And like Yonkers said, it's a small world. You might meet them again for business purposes or something.

10. jtagtp

jtagtp Member

Tell new company you would like to start on the 12th. Then tell your current company day you get bonus. That way you give at least one week notice.

11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Guess I am a bit confused... you'd like to give a bit longer notice to make whatever date required to get your bonus, while the new employer would like you to start sooner than a two-week notice?

I'd tell your old boss you'd like to offer a three week notice (or whatever it takes to meet the bonus requirement) to help them in the transition to find a replacement and get your work completed so the new person will have an easier start. I'd tell the new employer you will its your responsibility to help your former employer with the transition (that should impress your new employer that you would want to help your former employer). Should be a win-win-win for everyone.

If the former employer decides to end your employment in advance of the bonus date then at least you have done everything you can and you are able to start with the new company sooner.

I wouldn't hold off on the notice until just after the bonus date (if that is one option you are considering). Your new employer might get impatient and you'd leave a sour taste with the former employer (may come back to haunt you.. long after you spent the bonus money).

I just completed a two week notice for my former employer (even though it was a contract position) and will start next week with my new employer (unfortunately, also just a contract position). Even though it was only a contract job, I felt it reasonable to offer the notice and the former employer was really appreciative of it. Who knows, I may need to re-approach them in the future, so not burning that bridge made double sense.

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

The day the check clears. If it's direct deposit, check with your bank and see how long they give the issuer to reverse the deposit, as well.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

If you think there's a chance you could lose a bonus you earned as well as two weeks of paychecks, then I would wait.

14. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I would wait. I had a co-worker that was screwed over in a similar situation. Our bonuses are paid in March, to whoever is employed at the end of the year. He had accepted another job, and had an agreement with his boss to take vacation over the Christmas holidays, then work January 2 to be eligible for bonus. The office VP found out about it, and had him terminated during his vacation. He wasn't able to work on January 2, and he didn't get the bonus.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I would do it this way. Your new employer shouldn't have a problem with you not wanting to leave your old employer in the lurch. In fact, it will show them you are a man of integrity. Or at least it will make them think that even though you're just trying to get your bonus. :)

16. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Couple of points:

1. If you were the employer, would you expect him to full fill his obligation of a 2 wk notice?

2. Anybody that tells you to not honor your obligation is sorely mistaken and have no spirit of self.

17. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

This. It's always preferable to leave on perfect terms. But in reality, money trumps that. Any competent employer will understand, frankly.

18. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

Two-week notice? I'm unfamiliar with this method of separating from a company.

1 person likes this.
  19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I love how businesses have us brainwashed. Here we have a company you are worried will fire you if you do the "right thing" and give two weeks notice just so they can save some money by not paying you a bonus that you earned. If they have a right to fire you in this situation for their own financial reasons, you have a right to give them a shorter notice for yours.

20. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Exactly. If you want loyalty, buy a dog.