1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2 teens racing on gessner kill a mother and two children. jail time or probation?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SeabrookMiglla, Aug 31, 2011.

1. SeabrookMiglla

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=8336911

I think the 2 teens should be given at least some time in confinement, that time should be served in a juvenile detention center for at least a couple of months. although i dont believe, these teens should be placed in long term incarceration as they are young and made poor decisions. As the defense said, what good will it do sentencing these two teenagers to long term incarceration when it was accidental? if these kids go to jail for an extended period of time, they will almost inevitably become future criminals. thoughts?

2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Jail time most definitely.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

it's not accidental. if you don't realize that racing down a road like gessner can result in a wreck where someone is killed, you're too dumb to be a part of our society.

and to one of their aunts who tried to blame it on the woman for pulling out in front of them, i hope they add another 5 years to their sentence for you being such a ****.

4. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

This is a major problem facing this country, kids simply aren't held accountable.

Our kids have mediocre grades, yet rank at the very top in confidence.

Get bad grades, it's the teachers fault

Skip school, it's the parents fault

Shoot somebody, it's Manson's fault

Get pregnant, it's TV's fault

Kill somebody being stupid, it's my biology not me.

It's not Hitler's fault he was born a lunatic.

For the record i'm only 24, and i think these Men, yes i said men, should not only get jail time, but substantial jail time.

3 people are dead, whoops my bad isn't good enough

3 people like this.
  6. yo

yo Contributing Member

"A psychiatrist for the defense testified Wednesday morning that a teenager does not have the ability to make mature decisions like an adult does, because the part of the brain that controls judgment is not yet fully developed."

Really? I don't care if you think you're an expert in your field. GTFO with stuff like this.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

A mother and two children are dead at the hands of two irresponsible, immature idiots.

What good would it do to punish them harshly! Just give them a slap on the wrist and send them on their merry way!

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

They have to get locked for at least 5 years.

They Lawyer who dismissed his clients actions as "Stupid things" deserves to be T-boned on the freeway by an 18 wheeler.

#8 REEKO_HTOWN, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  9. Wilford_Knows

Wilford_Knows Member

Send them to the Gulag

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Are they white and come from respectable looking families?

11. ILoveTheRockets

12. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

Jail time and sterilization.

And lol at that psychiatrist.

13. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Jail time. How would you feel if that was your wife and two kids.

20 years

14. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I blame Child Protective Services.

15. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Future criminals? They are present criminals, in my book. Accident? You make it sound like they were doing the speed limit alone on the way to work.

How is this a question? At the very least, it's involuntary manslaughter, no? Negligence? Reckless endangerment? Driving While Idiot?

SOMETHING.

Hate to affect/ruin other lives in addition to the tragedy as it won't bring anyone back, but if this doesn't result in some kind of jail time as punishment and prevention, as well as an example, I won't understand how.

Wait, how rich are the racers?

16. rage

rage Member

Wait until someone kills a family member of yours and you can talk.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

#17 REEKO_HTOWN, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Suspended license for life.

For starters.

1 person likes this.
  19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I see no reason why the sentence should be any different than it would be for anyone else. I read about half of the comments in the thread before reading the article. I expected them to be 16 years old. They're 18 and 19.

A psychiatrist for the defense testified Wednesday morning that a teenager does not have the ability to make mature decisions like an adult does, because the part of the brain that controls judgment is not yet fully developed.

Then why let teenagers drive? I understand there are different laws for different ages, etc, etc (driving = 16, voting/smoking = 18, drinking = 21, etc.), but if we have decided that a person is adult enough at 16 to be put behind a vehicle, that person imo then should be held accountable just as a 30 year old driver would be.

With regards to how a 30 year old random driver would be punished, I'm not sure what the law would say, but given the speed at which they were driving - racing - seems like involuntary manslaughter to me...?

20. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Jail time. A lot of it. A whole lot of it.