1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

2-state solution dead? Where now?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by HorryForThree, Jul 27, 2012.

1. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Been a while since I've seen a thread on this topic, and with all the recent developments I figured I'd go ahead and start one up.

A number of interesting articles related to the situation have popped up over the past few weeks:

1) Akiva Elder, the chief political commentator for the Ha'aretz, published a piece in the National Interest entitled Israel's New Politics and the Fate of Palestine. Very interesting article, but the key takeaway is the fairly candid manner that Elder lays out the diminishing prospect of a two-state solution (though the commentary on Israeli identity as a democratic and theocratic state, along with the interaction between the two is quite interesting as well):

2) Nir Hasson's piece in Ha'aretz entitled Tens of thousands of Palestinians suffer from water supply disruptions in East Jerusalem:

3) Recent UN Reports that over 90% of Palestinian applications for building permits are denied.

4) NPR on increasing demolitions

5) Ha'aretz article about Israeli crackdown in illegal immigration.

In the article, the Interior Minister, Eli Yishai, is quoted as saying:

6) NY Times article on Israeli crackdown on African Immigrants

7) Ehud Barak on the Obama Administration: ‘I Can Hardly Remember A Better Period’ Of U.S. Support For Israel

and finally, Obama signs Israel military aid bill on eve of Romney visit today.

-------------------------------------------

I do think that we are rapidly approaching a point at which discussions of a two-state solution will no longer be held with any level of seriousness. What that will do is leave the question of how co-existence can be managed between these two disparate groups of people, divided ethnically, religiously, and politically, both of whom have been victims of oppression and perpetrators of it to varying degrees. It also begs the question of what Israel's future is going to be as a Jewish and Democratic state, and how those two are going to be negotiated once a one-state solution is eventually surrendered.

In my opinion, at this point it actually seems to be in the Palestinians best interest to concede such a stance. Ongoing resistance only enables the sort of sustained marginalization that they've faced, and 'accepting' will enable them to more credibly work towards reform from the inside through democratic means, including peaceful protests, media campaigns, and voting. Obviously, such sentiment is easy for me to say sitting comfortably in the US distanced from the peculiarities of the conflict and not knowing the various challenges they have to face on a daily basis.

1 person likes this.
  2. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

One of the more interesting articles I read awhile ago says the two state solution is a now or never thing. They argue that for the last number of years (I forget how many) more than 50% of the babies born in Israel are to Israelis Arabs or the Orthodox and neither group supports the two state solution. Zionism is hanging on by its toenails and the Likudniks and other defenders of the status quo in Israel are hastening it by the whole phoney "peace process" charade as settlements keep being built.

Time for Israel to join the modern, Westernized world with equal rights for all religions and ethnicities living there.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Agree. A two state solution will happen, and this posturing is meant to get Palestinians content with whatever they end up with: which I fully expect to be two separate pieces of land with no water resources, partial control of its own security and illogical land swaps.

The solution is clear, both groups want Jerusalem as its capital, both want to live in dignity, both claim to be motivated by threats to their security. So give them both a stake in the success of one state and support the creation of one secular state.

4. ILoveTheRockets

That's nice and dandy, until someone blows up a bus, and it's back to square 1.

5. Mathloom

Supporting Member

How does crime justify anti-secularism? That's an interesting notion.

6. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Agreed. It surprises me the level to which pressure to secularize is notably absent from the public discourse, especially when a secular state is likely the only real and pragmatic solution when it comes to establishing a political apparatus that ensures equitable protection to both groups.

1 person likes this.
  7. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Viewpoint supporting a 1-state solution:

I think more important than article, this research is looks pretty solid and contains some excellent pieces of information:

8. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Israel is addressing the problem of African migrants coming to Israel through the construction of detention camps. Very interesting development, particularly when one compares the steps they are taking against ones taken by the US in response to illegal immigration.

Detention camp for African migrants in Israel's south to hold up to 30,000 people

[​IMG]

9. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Frankly, they shock me all the time. Having had access to similar camps and seen how they end up, these developments really worry me. They need to stop this right away, it can't end well.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

The disingenuous leftists and Islamists who demand a one state solution just want to outbreed the Jews and then strip them of their rights after they are in power. It's very obvious.

11. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

Yes it's very obvious to those lunatics with the intellectual capacity of a rock.

1 person likes this.
  12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

This is what it leads to when Islamists start getting power:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Al-Qaeda-shot-dead-leaving-radio-station.html

Comedian who regularly poked fun at Al-Qaeda shot dead leaving radio station

A comedian well-known for poking fun at Al-Qaeda linked Shebab insurgents has been shot dead in Somalia.
    Abdi Jeylani Malaq Marshale, thought to have been 43, was killed in Mogadishu late last night.
    He was targeted minutes after leaving Kulmiye radio station, where he worked as drama producer and performer.

'Two men shot and seriously injured Marshale... the comedian was later pronounced dead,' said police lieutenant Mohamed Gaal, adding that 'unfortunately the assailants escaped'.
    The shooting of Marshale, who also worked for the London-based Universal TV station and who reported having received death threats on several occasions, is the latest in a string of apparently targeted killings against media workers.

Colleagues mourned the loss of a man they called a leader of the war-torn nation's comedy scene. His shows have aired on Universal TV and are also available on YouTube.
    Yusuf Keynan, a presenter at Kulmiye radio, said: 'He had not done anything wrong to anybody, as far as we are concerned, but they shot him in the head and shoulders.
    'This is a black day for the entire entertainment industry, he was a leader in Somali comedy and everybody liked his performances.'
    Marshale was known for airing dramas making fun of the extremist Shebab and for participating in youth advocacy programmes aimed at preventing young Somalis from joining the insurgents.
    So far this year, at least one Somali journalist has been targeted and killed each month.

13. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

Are you seriously equating a tragic incident from Somalia with the political situation in the occupied territories?

And what exactly does your article have to do with Islamists being in a position of power? Would you like me to display what an utter failure your post was?

This is what happens when <insert failure generalization> start getting power:
    http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2011/jul/29/death-toll-in-norway-attacks-rises-to-77/
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18921492

There's no way you can be this ignorant of your own lack of logic.

1 person likes this.
  14. da1

da1 Member

Sounds like what's happening right now in Israel, except vice versa