1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

#2 seed is the most important thing for the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HouStu_Rocket, Mar 4, 2015.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

If Spurs get 4th seed, then that means theyve ended up with a better record than the Rockets.

I dont see that happening.

2. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

This team with a healthy would destroy the Spurs

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think the end has come for this Spurs era... they're never going to be bad as long as Pop's the coach, but they're definitely running low on star power due to the aging of their big three.

Never say never I guess, but I strongly doubt they win another title until they acquire another star or two.

4. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

It's VERY apparent that the team has declined. Spurs were always under the radar and would end with a top 3 seed. They are sitting at 7th on the home stretch of the season

5. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

yes #2 seed is important
    it is not because spurs is better matchup
    it is because spurs is slowly climbing up to #6 spot and i want mavs
    obviously they are the weakest

6. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I dont care what seed the Rockets get but they need to do everything to avoid the Spurs and OKC in first round.

Either of those teams = Another first round exit.

Seeds will be meaningless at that point.

7. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

I humbly disagree with you. I understand why people have this perception that the Spurs can never be counted out but we match up quite well with the Spurs. I think the Warriors, Rockets, and Trailblazers spell imminent doom for the Spurs to be quite frank.

I wouldn't mind facing the Clippers. I think that would be a fun, entertaining battle for the second round.

I think against a struggling Dallas team I can see the Rockets pulling out a first round success but with the rivalry I would predict a tougher-than-previously-thought series.

Against the Spurs. With a healthy team, with the loaded bench, a focused Harden, a hungry Dwight, and plenty of youthful sparkplugs on this team I would bet a punch to the stomach that we take this series handedly.

8. Madclownpacasum

Not the clippers. reddick running around the court to get open takes alot of energy of Harden. Thats why they keep hurting us

9. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

I recognize that Reddick always goes video game mode on us during the regular season but let me all you.

Can you realistically see Reddick maintaining these excellent maneuvers around Harden and getting easy shots while still making contested ones in a 7 game series?

Furthermore, could you live with gambling on the possibility of letting Reddick take over a playoff series when you have guys like Howard who can make life difficult for Jordan, Beverley who can make life difficult for Paul, and the combination of Josh Smith, an improved DMO, and a stronger Jones making life hell for Blake Griffin?

10. tburris872

tburris872 Member

Playoff seeding

The top 3 seeds would go to division leaders; even if the fourth seed has a better record than two of the three teams. If the Rockets don't win their division they wont get better than the fourth seed.

11. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

they changed the format few years back
    division leader is guaranteed no worse than 4th seed
    #1-4 is basically 3 division leaders and the one with the best record not division leader
    seeding will be based on record
    if #5 seed has better record than the division leader in #4
    #5 will have home court advantage

12. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

getting the 4th seed doesn't mean getting homecourt, but we will end up with the third seed anyway

13. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

[​IMG]

Why second, when we can walk into the #1 seed?

14. gumbleton3

gumbleton3 Member

We are completely ****ed against the Clippers. It'd be a fun match up.........for Doc and his boy.

The only team that we'd start favourites against would be the Mavs and probably the Blazers seeing as Wes is injured.

15. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Aim for the Mavs.

I'm somewhat confident we can take on the Spurs, if only for their aging stars. Leonard may be able to hold Harden but our bigs should be able to dominate them.

16. Zbed

Zbed Member

lolling at the people saying we were 8th seed at best.

17. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

#2 seed is probably going to get you Mavericks / OKC, we won't get it though so it looks like Spurs / Blazers / Clippers it is!

18. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I don't think we'd be f'ed against the Clippers. I think the reasons we couldn't beat them for 2 years were the Griffin matchup and some sort of psychological fear we had of them. It's a lot like the mid-90's Rockets against Seattle. We were scared of them and no one could guard Kemp(not even Dream).

Well, now we have 3 different PFs we can run out there with T-Jones, D-Mo, and Smith. Griffin is obviously better than any of them, but it's not the one-sided matchup it used to be. Plus we have a way better bench than them. We'd presumably have homecourt advantage. And most importantly, we finally beat those f'ers. There's no longer this fear of not being able to win against that team.

It would be a tossup, but I don't buy this idea that we can't beat the Clippers in the playoffs. The teams I'd wanna avoid at all costs in Round 1 are the Thunder and the Spurs. I think we're capable of beating those two, but I'd still favor them in a matchup with the Rockets.

19. Kash

Kash Member

I believe one of them was Rick Fox. If anything, it speaks loudly on how unqualified they are to talk basketball. A team that has James Harden and Dwight Howard is being predicted to not make the playoffs.

How embarrassing.

20. Zbed

Zbed Member

I think the last Clippers game Ariza was covering Redick and Harden was on Matt Barnes.