1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2 of 3 first round picks will be #23 & #24

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, May 25, 2021.

1. Nook

Nook Member

With where the Rockets are as a franchise, they need to be drafting the best player available regardless of position. There isn't a single player on the Rockets that we can say is a franchise cornerstone. Porter is talented but very inconsistent on and off the court. Wood isn't terribly young and doesn't have that much time on his contract.

The Rockets have needs all over the court and should not target a position. If the best player at 23 and 24 are clearly guards, then they sure as hell better draft them.

Right now the Rockets have VERY little tangible to work with. They have the Nets picks, their own lottery pick next year and HOPEFULLY a top 4 pick this season. However that is it. On the court there is very little.

If Josh Christopher measures out well then the fact he is a guard should have zero bearing on whether the Rockets take him.

2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Don’t we have our own pick in 22 and 23?

3. Nook

Nook Member

I may be off on the draft position we have late in round 1. I thought it was 23-24 but it could be 22-23

4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I meant next year and in 2023 before the swaps and loss of picks to OkC kick in.

ApacheWarrior and Nook like this.
  5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I feel that the Rockets need to take BPA's too, but I do think they need to get a player with real upside, provided if the workouts are successful. They need to take a gamble or two. I do realize that addressing perimeter defense and shooting is a must as well.

ApacheWarrior, D-rock and Nook like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah, they need to just accumulate young talent at all costs.

Eventually when you do that, something gives.

OKC has done that, and they are likely very close to being pretty damn good. They have some very promising young players and they have at least one high lottery pick this season.

saleem and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Could not agree more.

Rockets need more DEFENSE.

saleem, ApacheWarrior and Rudyc281 like this.
  8. sydmill

sydmill Member

End of the day, the Rockets need to leave the draft with 3 guys who project to be contributors in a winning team. If one of those guys is Cade or Green then I want the others to be (potentially) plus defenders. If Mobley or Kuminga is the guy then I would want another player with potential to be a scorer. Suggs is #5 for me (OKC bound).

I am interested in acquiring a second rounder or 2 for RGV duties next year too. This draft is deep and I think there are legit nba role players who might also end up being available late or that go undrafted.

fattz and saleem like this.
  9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

https://watchstadium.com/jeff-goodmans-2021-nba-mock-draft-1-0-rockets-reload-06-02-2021/

Shark44 and COMPAQ CENTER like this.
  10. sydmill

sydmill Member

Cunningham and Garuba are potential studs but I think they go with Jaden Springer if he is on board. A Springer-KPJ back court could be scary around the time that they Rockets are ready to take a step out of the cellar in a year or 2. I also just am not sure where Boston fits on a team with Cade, Tate and KMart all needing minutes at the 3.

D-rock likes this.
  11. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

D-rock likes this.
  12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It's 23 and 24.

Nook and D-rock like this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

I like Springer more than Boston for sure, but I agree Rockets need a 4 much more..

I'm swinging for the fences with those late picks.

Greg Brown has to be 1 of those late picks, he would not only improve our rebounding but he would improve pace, length and athleticism - especially as a switchable defender.

don grahamleone and saleem like this.
  14. sydmill

sydmill Member

As a UT guy I would love adding a longhorn. While I agree Brown could potentially be a helluva player, he is a ways away. I compared him to Shawn Marion previously and think he could be one that type of combo forward but he is a ways away from that. I think he and KMart have done similarities but they could be a dynamic pairing at the 3 & 4 if they both developed. There is more than a little busy potential in that pairing though. In a perfect world the Rockets would obtain multiple 2nd round selections for guys like Brown, Boston, Hyland, Onu or Bleijenbergh. There are many guys with rotation potential throughout this draft IMHO.

D-rock and saleem like this.
  15. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

D-rock and saleem like this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Hyland, Onu, Bleijenbergh and Lewis would be great 2nd rounders or UDFA signings.

But Greg Brown will be a first rounder.

17. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

Another player to add to the second round/UDFA is Joe Wieskamp from Iowa. Reminds me a little of Air Bud !

cmoak1982 likes this.
  18. sydmill

sydmill Member

Can't believe I left Lewis off the list! I agree someone will take a chance on Brown in the bottom of round one but it wouldn't shock me if he and Boston both slip given their college seasons. Both are easy gambles pretty much in the late 20s.

D-rock likes this.
  19. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They need to accumulate QUALITY young talent, when the opportunity is there.

We're likely to have that top 4 pick..

Then, they need to maximize those picks by using them and whatever to move up for Kispert or Butler.

#259 Plowman, Jun 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
  20. ballgame

ballgame Member

Sounds good but it doesn't work that way. I would just be happy with a top 4 pick.