1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2 games out of playoffs and we have the same core

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by VoR, Feb 8, 2024.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not care the slightest if he stays or goes but keeping Boban just signalled the team was not going to value every spot the same.

Boban really makes more sense on a contender when they are throwing his size around.....for exactly 3 minutes.

Crashlanded19 and burlesk like this.
  2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

People can make up hyperboles on why Stone is a bad GM for things that go wrong and give him no credit for anything that goes well even if the things that go well are of significantly greater magnitude of importance. Holistically, the Rockets with Stone are down 2 SRPs net (i.e., Stone's SRP management was good prior to ~8 months ago) and are up Sengun and Whitmore not counting Harden and the Brooklyn picks (I think it is easy to say that trade so far looks to have ended horribly for the Nets, but still undecided from Rockets standpoint). Whether Stone is a good GM or not will likely end up in how the young 6 guys, and the Brooklyn picks turn out (whether as players or trade pieces). Stone needs to find a way to replace Harden as the franchise guy whether that be Sengun makes another leap, Amen or Cam really pop, or through a trade.

I think the future for the Rockets is still up in the air after this season.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If they win a championship of course the GM's name stands there as well.

If they don't win it and not make the Finals, people will also notice.

Results matter the most at the end of the day to a GM's career.

We gave Morey all kind of hell....

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Losing Tari on Jan 1 was tough. He would have been vital in close losses to MIA, CHI, PHI, POR, BKN & IND. We were at .500 when he went down while playing good team ball. He was the glue for the 2nd unit and closing lineups. Does anyone know EXACTLY what is wrong with his leg?

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yep. The NBA is a talent, results driven league. The mistakes, tanking years only matter if good things, wins don't happen.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Every team needs Boban to throw his size around.

daywalker02 likes this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

Lol…. Lots of whiney posters moved the expectations goal posts and are disappointed due to their own actions.

At this point Stone is neither a good or bad GM…. As there’s lot of space between those two things but that would require nuance and emotional intelligence.

roslolian likes this.
  8. kjayp

kjayp Member

we have more than the same core - we have the same everything... because we did absolutely nothing. lol

9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The "hope" goalpost has been in the same place for me since before the season started.

And my disappointment is due to Stone's inaction, not any action of my own.

kjayp likes this.
  10. dmoneybangbang

Well your expectations were wrong and so your disappointment is due to that. Sorry

11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I expected Stone to do nothing for this season so my expectations were met spectacularly.
    I was hoping to be surprised.

Hope and expectations are not the same thing.
    4th grade literature distinction.

kjayp likes this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

Ah. So more of an anti Stone thing.

Welp I’m glad we didn’t make a move to just make a move when we are already exceeding expectations with the injury bug this year.

roslolian and Dobbizzle like this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Not so much anti-Stone, more like lacking confidence in Stone.

While I agree I am glad we didn't make a move just to make one, the team is on pace to win 37 games, which is only a couple more than expected.
    Looks like we will miss the play-in, which was expected.
    And the injury bug hits every team, so that is no excuse.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

So the team won a couple more than expected despite the injury bug but somehow you are lacking confidence in Stone?

This isn't a veteran team with lots of experience, they are a bunch of 21 yr olds still trying to find their way. Injuries are pretty big for the core six and esp when FVV is one of the injured. We all saw how good they are when healthy, that just shows the team is on the right track and the fact is they already reached last seasonw in total before the ASB. That's def progress regardless if they tank the rest of the games or not.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Play in? PLAY IN?

We're taling Play IN? PLAY IN?

DD

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

While health was a major factor, it wasnt the only reason they looked good.
    I think the guys played harder earlier in the season for one.
    Two, I think other teams scouted us more and figured out how to play us better.

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

They played harder because they were healthy. Players dealing with injuries they don't tell us.

Did you know Cam had a sprained ankle, Sengun dealing with back pain and Jabari dealing with an illness? Well now you know.

Yeah teams scouted the Rox and realize they can't shoot for ****. Jalen has become Ben Simmons, dude can't hit 3s to save his life and teams are making us pay. Jabari who is our best shooter is getting frozen out and asked to rebound the ball if he wants shots, I love that the dude is hustling but if he is getting rebs then he isn't spacing.

Ime is a good coach but this roster is very new to him and I guess he is a young coach just like we have young players. Both him and the team should be much improved after a year.

#58 roslolian, Feb 10, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2024
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

Update before the mini vacation

24-30 and still sitting on a whopping 5 road wins

20. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

J.R. likes this.