1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2 Dead as Protests Break out in Tibet

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Mar 14, 2008.

1. MFW

MFW Member

Which facts would that be? The fact that you bent over backwards proverbially after having to change your story from "PLA dressed up as monks to incite riot" to "PAP have monk cloths?"

Your stupidity is on display for all to see. I hardly have to sling insults. You're a walking embarrassment that I hardly have to do anything else.

Efficiency Sammy, let's strive to efficiency here. I've summarized your post into the following: "blah blah."

See, isn't that better?

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Oh listen my lovely eastern friends, you will never catch me.

I am fleet of foot and fleeter of mind. I've got a mind as sharp as a tack and a tongue that's even sharper.

I duck and slide....like a GOD, and am capable of landing some very vicious counter-parries.

I flurry like the snow, and then I heat it up and make it rain down upon you.

Quarter will be neither asked nor given my friends.

Welcome to a house of pain!

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

sam is also a poet

4. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Tibet: China’s make-believe world
    Sushil Seth

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/editorials/archives/2008/04/08/2003408697

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008, Page 8

The amazing thing about the developments in Tibet is that Beijing feels wronged. It feels that the world is ignoring its side of the story.

Beijing claims that the uprising in Tibet is the work of a Dalai Lama “clique” through some kind of “remote control” process.

Indeed, China senses a conspiracy of sorts to derail the Beijing Olympics.

Beijing’s make-believe world is made up of multiple contradictions. They can be simultaneously arrogant, suffer from victimization and have a highly charged sense of moral outrage. All these are in evidence in the Tibetan situation.

The arrogance is seen in the summary dismissal of the Dalai Lama’s plea for dialogue, even when he has repeatedly insisted that he seeks only genuine autonomy for Tibet and not independence.

Beijing keeps on demonizing him. They have almost called him a terrorist. He has been described in the Chinese media as “a wolf in a monk’s robe, a monster with a human face but with the heart of a beast.”

They have ignored his call for an international investigation of his presumed role in the Tibetan unrest.

Indeed, he has earned the ire of his youthful Tibetan followers for advocating autonomy and not independence, counseling non-violence and threatening to resign if things were to get out of control.

Above all, he supports the Beijing Olympics, even in the midst of strong calls for its boycott in some quarters.

At the same time, as Tibet’s leader he has highlighted the cultural genocide being committed in Tibet over the years and the unmitigated disaster caused by Han Chinese migration into his homeland.

Following the process, the Tibetans are now a marginalized people.

China had hoped to solve the Tibetan problem by hiving off parts of the old country and merging them into the neighboring Han provinces, reducing Tibetans to a hopeless minority.

And, in what is now called Tibet, they are in the process of being overwhelmed by the Han Chinese migration.

But it has not worked satisfactorily, considering that even in the neighboring western provinces with residual Tibetan populations, Tibetans have staged strong protests.

The problem is that the Tibetans feel a strong sense of loss and a consequent frustration and anger at the way Beijing has stripped them of their cultural heritage.

The Han Chinese surround them on all sides, flaunting their new money and power. In this new order, the Tibetans increasingly feature as a people of yesterday and their monasteries and temples are the subject of curiosity by visiting Chinese tourists. The Tibetans, therefore, feel homeless in their own country.

In this situation of intense alienation, the Dalai Lama has come to represent everything that they are denied — their country, their culture and traditions, their one reference point for all the loss they feel. Tibetans feel an intense desire to be one with him.

But Beijing’s arrogance not to acknowledge his important role and to demonize him tends to only aggravate the Tibetan problem.

Beijing is simply waiting for him to die, as he is already into his 70s. After him, they will appoint their own Dalai Lama and, presto, the Tibet problem will be solved.

What China fails to realize is that Tibet is a problem because its occupation has no legitimacy among Tibetan people. And, if they have not been able to win over the local population over the last 50 or so years, the legitimacy issue remains. In fact, it is getting worse.

They really need the Dalai Lama if they want to solve the Tibet issue. With his espousal of autonomy for Tibet, Beijing can create a new compact with its sovereignty intact. This would leave Tibetans to manage their own internal and cultural affairs, while China could deal with its foreign relations.

But this would be too much of a compromise for China’s communist leaders who are used to having their own way at whatever cost.

Just look at the Tiananmen Square massacre in 1989, when the army was let loose on students who demanded democratic rights. Naively, China thought it could do the same thing in Tibet.

In the midst of such monumental arrogance, China’s ruling oligarchy also suffers from a deep-rooted sense of victimization. If they are criticized for their human rights violations in Tibet or on any other issue, they immediately cry foul and believe that there is a conspiracy abroad to deny China its rightful place under the sun.

And this is, they would argue, because Western countries have not got over their superior imperialist disdain of China.

All this contributes to a moral outrage that China, which gave so much to the world, should be regarded morally deficient. “How dare they lecture us,” goes the refrain?

Beijing’s view is that China has pulled Tibet out of the dark ages. The Tibetan people and the world should, therefore, be grateful to China rather than lambaste it because of the riots engineered by the Dalai Lama clique.

The Dalai Lama is accused of plotting “terror” in Tibet, in collusion with Uighur separatists in Xinjiang.

If China’s communist rulers can believe this, they apparently live in a world of make-believe.

And this is the problem the world is faced with when dealing with China, whether it is in regard to Tibet, Taiwan or whatever.

5. MFW

MFW Member

You're absolutely right Sammy, you are fleet of foot.

You duck and slide indeed. You disappear whenever things get tough.

Pretty hard to catch somebody who always runs away from a fight.

6. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

In this new order, the Tibetans increasingly feature as a people of yesterday and their monasteries and temples are the subject of curiosity by visiting Chinese tourists. The Tibetans, therefore, feel homeless in their own country.

LOL, bravo, what writing skill!

7. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

So it is fine for Chinese to be killed in Tibet because they occupied Tibetan land, I am guess all these people support the killing of Jews in Isreal by Arabs because they have lived there for 2000 years. Do we see any extreme statements like that on any other country but China?

8. LouisianaRocket

was that before or after the Chinese Government started murdering?

9. MFW

MFW Member

I couldn't help snickering at this one. On one hand the "Free Tibet" groups claim that China is destroying Tibetan culture with its materialism, on the other hand, those same "Free Tibet" group claim China's economic policy benefit only ethnic Hans.

Which one is it? Should they be left languishing in the Dark Ages or modernized and materialized? Can they make up their mind? I guess some people just want to have their cake and eat it too.

Neither. It was after your right brain failed but before your left brain did the same.

10. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

you mean riot control? yes, it was after the riot turned violent. the police was unprepared. the government was reluctant. well, good thing is that not too many people got killed.

11. LouisianaRocket

In China they consider protesters as rioters?

12. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

no, they consider rioters rioters. protesters they just take away and release later if you are not serious. they only lock up the organizers of anti-government folks. but if you start a riot that endanger the safety of others, they will try to arrest you first, if too hard to control, they will shoot you. i don't know if they will charge you the bullet though.

13. namo

namo Member

Go straight to your neighbor's (if any) house and burn his car, then call yourself a protester.

14. longhornchampno

Too bad they don't like a biased hypocrite whose daytime job is to conduct propaganda in an internet forum.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

16. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

I'm disappointed that this thread has moved so quickly away from the topic of steamy phone sex between Mr. and Mrs. MFW. :(

17. yobod

yobod Member

Couldn't the same be said about most government structures?
    That doesn't justify what they're doing.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This card is artfully done but historically inaccurate - the lands of Deverenia have ALWAYS been part of China. Back in the year 832 the Grand Caretaker of the Royal Deverenian stables bet his descendants sovreignty on a coin flip - accordingly PRC has rights to develop this integral area and liberate the Deverenian serfs from their feudal lords. If China has to give back Deverenian lands than US should give Rhode Island back to Dusty Rhodes, despite his fair and square loss of numerous Indian strap matches.

#798 SamFisher, Apr 8, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  19. stq

stq Member

I don't think the western media is just a propaganda machine. I do believe most of those reporters have good intention and are "want to do my part to make the world a better place" type of person.

But the problem is that majority of them have never exposed to a different view point. Their line of thinking is just too simple, it usually goes like this:
    Chinese government is run by a communist part => it must be bad, anything it does must be bad => thus, anyone agaist them must be good. => Tibetans are right, chinese government is wrong, any claims by exile tibetans must be right......
    Then you combine this with the "shangri-la utopia" image, which by the way has only existed in the western imagniation and couldn't be further away from the truth, you have the current wave of pro-tibet, anti-China reports.

I understand where they are coming from, but that doesn't change the fact that most of them are wrong and are baseless.

For those of you who truly care about Tibet, why don't you go read some real history books to improve your understanding of Tibet? Instead of being brainwashed by the media and free-tibet group?

20. yeo

yeo Member

This brave woman is becoming a big hero in China. They should have her light the Olympic flame at the opening ceremonies.

[​IMG]