1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2.5 million young adults insured due to ACA

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by gifford1967, Dec 14, 2011.

1. gifford1967

gifford1967 Member
    Supporting Member

My older daughter is one of them.

2.5 million young adults insured due to reforms

Ransdell Pierson

Reuters

(Reuters) - U.S. healthcare reforms have enabled 2.5 million young adults to obtain insurance coverage, the U.S. government said on Wednesday, up from 1 million earlier this year.

Federal officials credited the gains to the Affordable Care Act, legislation championed by President Barack Obama that took effect last year and is deemed the biggest overhaul of the U.S. healthcare system in nearly 50 years.

The law aims broadly to eventually provide medical coverage to more than 30 million uninsured Americans, and already allows young adults to stay on their parents' private insurance plans through age 26.

Since the policy helping young adults took effect in September 2010, the percentage of adults ages 19 to 25 covered by a private health insurance plan has increased significantly, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services said.

Federal officials said data from the first three months of 2011 showed that 1 million more young adults had coverage compared with a year ago.

The rise to 2.5 million reported on Wednesday was due to graduation from high school and college in May and June of students who otherwise would have lost coverage, they said.

"Moms and dads around the country can breathe a little easier knowing their children are covered," Kathleen Sebelius, Secretary of Health and Human Services, said in a release.

The agency said trends seen through early 2011 are consistent with those reported previously by the Census Bureau, a Gallup survey and the National Health Interview Survey conducted by a branch of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Dozens of states and a field of contenders for the Republican presidential nomination have attacked the Affordable Care Act, sometimes dubbed "Obamacare." They hope to repeal the legislation, saying it is a symbol of intrusive government seeking to raise taxes and burden businesses with new regulation.

The U.S. Supreme Court is preparing to review the reforms, as a sharply divided public watches from the sidelines.

www.baltimoresun.com/health/sns-rt-us-healthcare-usa-reformstre7bd1t5-20111214,0,6145390.story

2. Bellaire Brody

Great! And only at the price of bankrupting the nation.

Kudos to Obama!

3. mc mark

mc mark Member

reading is fundamental

1 person likes this.
  4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

Saying stuff with exclamation marks makes it true!

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

i am not aware how this is bankrupting the nation. can you please explain this in detail with cited facts, please. i'm curious to learn more!

6. Bellaire Brody

7. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

That article doesn't really say anything of value on the subject. The health care reform bill is paid for and has insured millions more Americans. It's odd to find someone who considers themselves an American routing against that.

8. mc mark

mc mark Member

I'll take the word of the CBO over an opinion piece by George Allen in the Washington Times! LOL!!!

9. gifford1967

gifford1967 Member
    Supporting Member

Unintentional wingnut hilarity. Citing an op/ed by George Macaca Allen to rebut a CBO study.

10. Bellaire Brody

I'm not against sick people getting treatment. I'm against people leaning on a system that guarantees that they will never have to work.

Because:

"If I run out of food, it's OK... There's always Food Stamps. No need to find a job."

"So what if I get sick. My boy Obama has my back. Why work. It's ALREADY PAID FOR!"

11. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I'm not in favor of that happening either. But I don't want to punish the vast majority of people who use the system just to make sure that the teeny tiny amount of people that game the system get what's coming to them.

12. Hightop

Hightop Member

People who support unconstitutional mandates should be left to die.

13. Northside Storm

Hilltop: against violence, because letting people die is just so much more effortless!

14. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Luckily there aren't any in this bill. It's evident because the founding fathers themselves forced by act of congress people to buy insurance. If you have a problem then you are free to deride the people who wrote the constitution.

15. gifford1967

gifford1967 Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't think it was possible but the angry Buddha has become even more bitter since he got laid off by NASA and had to stop sucking at the government tit.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Funny thing about Nations . . .. they are made up of PEOPLE!

Rocket River

17. Hightop

Hightop Member

It's bull**** and you know it.

18. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

He isn't against violence though. He talked in another thread about how much he would like to see the OWS people getting their ass kicked, and was downright hoping for violence.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

Socialize the hell out of healthcare. Long overdue.

20. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Actually it isn't.

Read it and weep.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickung...dicine-and-mandates-health-insurance-in-1798/