1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2-3 Zone: The key

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketPowerNick, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

It's not as if Durant gets open 3 after open 3 when we run the zone. The zone shifts, and shades over to where the ball is. It all depends on how quickly you close to the ball. However, to play a zone all game at the NBA level is completely asinine. It works in short bursts when you identify that the team you're playing either has no shooters on the court, or are out of rhythm with their shots. Over the course of an entire game, NBA shooters will destroy that zone with quick ball movement and making the extra pass.

It was brilliant timing by McHale, but I'd imagine the Thunder will have a quick counter to that if we pull out the 2-3 zone in game 3. It caught them off-guard once....it won't happen again.

2. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I'll admit, I thought playing a zone would be a disaster for us for two reasons.

For one, I thought they were to versatile offensively. I thought they would kill us on the three point line. Luckily, they weren't kicking it out to those open shooters, and when they did we closed out much better than I expected (except wheb Perkins pulls parsons arm off).

2nd, I didn't think we'd be disciplined enough to execute a zone, which at times we weren't. Delfino especially needs to get a hand up much quicker than he did last night.

I have my doubts about this working for 48 minutes. Scott Brooks is a great coach and will likely make the right adjustments.

3. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

We cant run the zone all the time..sooner than later...Durant is gonna hit those long distance bombs...and so are the other shooters...it worked to help the Rockets close a 15 pt gap...but it was unepxected...now Scott Brooks will have his team prepared to run pick and rolls and high screens...Durant is still a dang good shooter...

If anything, i was hoping the Rockets switched back to man to man down the stretch when we were just down by 1...just to keep the Thunder off balance...but we have to live with the results/gamble...The 3 guard line up is risky, but expect the Thunder bigs post a lot more, bc Harden on Ibaka just isnt a winning formula...eventually the bigger guy wins out...and we can not have Harden get into foul trouble...

My only adjustment i'd really make is consider putting TJones at the 4...he gives the length and the activity that Mchale absolutely could use... When Asik went to the bench and Smith took over...it just was bad...Smith needs an athletic big to be effective...bc he cheats a lot off his man, but often does so out of correct recovery position...that resulted in two and-one plays for Westbrook last night...

4. Reach

Reach Member

Run the zone and make them shoot 3's. Increasing the variance.