1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2.0]Cyberex, paging Cyberex...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Feb 17, 2016.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Boston did it by getting really high lottery picks though. Lillard for decent young players and sucky low draft picks is not a Boston type move.

2. cyberx

cyberx Member

When you trade a super star, you never get fair value in return.

amaru, BigMaloe, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  3. sabesque

sabesque Member

yall are assuming that dame wants to stay. That's three seasons in a row where he's asked for come to jesus meetings with the FO.

If you feel like dame doesnt want to be there anymore that's as good of a deal as you could hope for.

amaru likes this.
  4. jacoby

jacoby Member

Sure, but there are other teams that can offer a better package, UNLESS LA is planning on including all three of Ingram, Ball and Kuzma.

5. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I can't tell if that's a hint or your just philosophizing. Either way, yup.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

If LeBron chooses LA, our window is closed.

7. justtxyank

This is true, but most superstars aren't traded with 3 years left on their deal. Normally teams hold them until the last minute which is why they don't get good value.

Lillard has 3 years left on his deal. If the Blazers decide they want to move him, teams will have no fear of him being gone in a year or two and will offer up much more than what the Lakers can offer. Lillard would have no leverage to scare the Blazers into trading him to the Lakers. 3 years is a full contract basically.

8. justtxyank

I have no idea if he wants to be there anymore, but unlike every other star that's been traded he is locked up for 3 years. That's an eternity in NBA contract terms. Plenty of teams would pony up for a superstar locked up for 3 years, even if he says he will walk in 3 years.

clutchdabear likes this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah but none of the young guys the Lakers would be moving are any good at all. They are just bench fodder on a good team. Also, cap space is great, but there would be no reason for any player to want to go to Portland unless they pay more than any other option....they aren't a destination city or franchise, so it's not that great. I think if they were really planning on moving Dame without getting a future star in return, they'd be planning on tanking so they'd want some good picks back and if they were helping create a super team in LA those picks would be pretty bad.

clutchdabear likes this.
  10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

In a multi-player deal the team getting the multiples always lose.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Unless that deal is done by an incompetent GM like Sam Presti who loses every trade he gets himself involved in. Indiana took him to the cleaners.

luckyman76 and hakeem94 like this.
  12. KingBenny92

KingBenny92 Member

Yup, I actually feel like it's a tempting deal for Portland.... They won't be a contender anytime soon with their current squad. Couple of upcoming youngsters and plenty of future cap room like you said.

Like others have said though I wouldn't do it without Ingram being included; I don't think Ball will be that good

13. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I'm struggling to think of may instances of a young all-nba player being traded for so little. Especially with not one high draft pick coming back. Even OKC got a lotto pick for Harden, and they still got fleeced.

luckyman76, clutchdabear and hakeem94 like this.
  14. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

That would be true if he was going to hit free agency soon. He's under contract for three more years.

clutchdabear and justtxyank like this.
  15. justtxyank

Here's the first step. Find a young, all NBA player that was traded with THREE YEARS remaining on his contract. That's the example you need. I'm not even sure it's EVER happened off the top of my head.

Icehouse, clutchdabear and hakeem94 like this.
  16. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

@cyberx Thx for everything you do on this forum. The truth isn't always a fun thing to hear, but that's life.

I don't know if you've heard anything on the Rockets front, but in your estimation... would you expect Morey to keep the same roster (or something close to it) based on what you've heard?

OR do you see him reacting and adding another star type of player in response to Lebron (if we lose out on him?)

I know you posted recently that there's no need to panic. We were close. So I agree with you on this front. Just curious.

amaru likes this.
  17. cyberx

cyberx Member

2 years left

amaru and hakeem94 like this.
  18. Vivi

Vivi Member

Blazers are also the same organization that refused to rebuild when LMA left them and they were looking like a lottery bound team, i don't really see why they would trade him for young players...unless he spoke with the front office (and i actually think i read at some point this season that he was going to do that, i think with the owner...if someone can confirm this...) and told them he wants to leave.

If that's the case, which team with better assets than the Lakers should have interest in a trade for him? The Celtics have Irving, Sixers and Suns are two good names here i guess, but would they beat a Lakers package like Lonzo, Kuzma and Hart? Not sure...what would the SIxers trade for Lillard? Are they willing to trade Saric? Cause Fultz and pick won't be as good as the Lakers package. What would Phoenix trade? Bender and Chriss have pretty much no value for Portland imo, Booker and Jackson are not available i'd say...maybe Jackson...but i don't really see how that would be better than the Lakers package, even with Bender or Chriss.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The closest I can think to it would be the Pau Gasol trade.....but that gave the Grizzlies Marc Gasol, so that doesn't really count.

20. justtxyank

Just for a minute imagine James Harden saying he wants out and we trade him to the Lakers for Luol Deng, Lonzo Ball, and two back of the draft picks.

I mean holy hell.