1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2.0]Cyberex, paging Cyberex...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Feb 17, 2016.

1. 50/fifty

50/fifty Member

2. mockster

mockster Member

I’m all for running it back but if god forbid the warriors get even more talent and other super teams are formed I’m worried we might need another star presence for at least injury insurance

If not we really need to land some helpful FAs like tyreke Evans and etc

3. BackdoorHarden

1,000 people on Clutchfans.com on a Saturday morning at Midnight and nothing to report.
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Trackwell and Bobsputin like this.
  4. Whenitsover

Whenitsover Member

Ok. Why am i the only one that sees the warriors, fresh off a 3rd championship in 4 years mind you, going after DeAndre Jordan, a marquee free agent, even though they dont have the money to do so, and there are so many people on this site that want to just run the same rockets team back out next year and think they realistically have a shot to win anything? Like, is it that hard to see that? The chamos are trying to get better. So we struck out on lebron and our focus shifts to running it all back again when we didnt win last year? My goodness i really thought the rockets and morey were a lot more inventive and visionary than that. This is waving a white flag. And dont even try to bring up the if chris paul were healthy. He wasnt. He usually isnt. And hamstrings dont get better with age thats a fact.

5. BackdoorHarden

WOW. DeAndre Jordan going to the Warriors, again!

6. 50/fifty

50/fifty Member

Hed have to play for the MLE so...

7. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Maybe wait 48 hours to see what actually happens?

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Where's the fun in that? Let's jump to wild conclusions.

9. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

What if LeBron wants to take a phat paycut? I don't remember any reports explicitly stating that he'll demand a max.

10. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

You've got several issues with this scenario.

Basically, you are saying get rid of all cap holds except for Capela. You can renounce the cap hold on Luc and Green too because we don't have Bird Rights on them anyway. You're going to resign them with veteran's minimum so the cap hold doesn't serve any purpose.

You're also proposing to trade off Anderson, Onuaku, Qi and Nene and take nothing back. Also cut Jackson's non-guarenteed.

Since you have less than 12 players on the roster, then each of the 8 empty roster spots get assigned a cap hold of $830K. That's an additional $6.6M added to your payroll. This amount isn't accounted for in your scenario.

If you were able to do all of that then your total salary is $66.67M.

Also, since you're below the cap, your exceptions also count against the cap. If you want to maximize cap space then you'll need to renounce your MLE. You won't be able to use the MLE to sign anyone since you had to renounce it.

The projected cap for next season is $101M. That means that after all of that you only have $34.33 in cap space. That's enough to sign CP3 but you're not going to get Lebron and CP3 with that amount. You'd need about double that amount. Looks like in your step 6 you were using the luxury tax line rather than the cap.

About the only way to sign Lebron outright would be to get rid of everyone on the roster except for CP3 and Harden and then sign Lebron. Even doing that you would't be able to pay the full max to both CP3 and Lebron but you could come close (you'd have 9 empty roster spot holds). The problem is that you're now at the cap and only have 3 players on the roster, no exceptions, no trade assets and you can only sign minimum players. That's not going to happen.

Realistically, once Lebron decided not to opt into the final year of his deal he ended any chances we had of him coming here.

DonKnock, joshuaao, Trackwell and 6 others like this.
  11. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Thanks @ch44 for the update!

But honestly F Sergio Llull. i'm sick of hearing the guy's name. i don't understand why people still care about him. I'm not sure if his playing style even fits in either

12. aelliott

Not even the full MLE, it would be the Tax-Payer version of the MLE ($5.3M).

DonKnock and 50/fifty like this.
  13. aelliott

Why would he? If Lebron wanted to play here then he would have simply opted into the final year of his current deal and been traded here. He didn't so he would rather play elsewhere.

DonKnock likes this.
  14. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

@aelliott what do we have to work with this summer providing we re-sign CP3, Clint, and Trevor?

Just vet's minimums and the taxpayer MLE? No BAE right since we used it last year?

15. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Because 15-20mil isn't as harsh on the cap as a 35mil contract? Because signing onto a team for less money is less of a hassle for a billionaire than trying to orchestrate a 3+ team trade?

16. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

[​IMG]

17. aelliott

You do realize that Lebron doesn't actually orchestrate the trades, right? Morey does that and I'd bet that he already had things lined up just in case Lebron wanted to do it.

If Lebron wanted to be here then he would have opted in. Both he and CP3 could have been paid the max and we could have also retained Capela. Even if you are able to get rid of everyone except Harden , Tucker ,Capela and Gordon, you're looking at having $35M in total cap space for Lebron and CP3 to split. No way they go for that.

18. aelliott

Assuming that they resign Paul for close to his max, then we've got nothing other than the taxpayer MLE, minimum guys and trades.

Even if we renounced Capela and Ariza, we'd still be over the cap so the options would be the same.

Better hope that there's some vets who are willing to play for the minimum to chase a ring.

tmactoyao likes this.
  19. alethios

alethios Member

That's true, but paying him a huge contract would put them hard into the luxury tax, and it would be a huge risk to shackle themselves with that contract if his achilles injury flares up again. That and they wouldn't have much leverage to improve their bench. They may try to get him to take less money considering Davis hits FA in 2020, so he could walk, conceivably, if some team were willing to throw more money at him.

20. HP3

HP3 Member

I dont know you man, but your last couple of posts in particular in this thread have been really disrespectful towards our team and what we accomplished. Cmon bro, we all know they aint signing Jordan. We can take them with our current core. But rest assured Morey for sure is gonna make tweaks.

Besides, any marquee free agent we are out of the running for anyways so why not run it back, seems like our best option. Will it be harder next year....yea prolly. But I believe in this team.

This goes out the window though if that Laker super team forms D :