1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2.0]Cyberex, paging Cyberex...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Feb 17, 2016.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The way I understand it is Landry's doesn't own the Rockets. Tilman does. Landry's sold new corporate bonds, and Tilman was given that money as a cash payment to an exec or something, but Landry's still has to pay back the new bonds.

From Tilman's personal windfall as an emplyee, he has $2b to buy the Rockets. Thus, Forbes increases his net worth to include that new asset. But the accountants of Landry's corp (or Is it called Golden Nugget now), have to balance the bond debt.

Tilman as a person is removed from that debt. In fact, the NBA won't even allow a purchase based upon that much personal financing, but the Rockets and Tilman is once removed from the Landry's bond debt, so it doesn't actually count as personal financing.

anyhoot, That's just how I see Forbes increasing his Net Worth by almost exactly to valuation of the Rockets at time of sell.

Make sense?

2. tc0330

tc0330 Member

If Tillman has a baller broker running his portfolio it makes sense. Market has been VERY volatile since January 2018 with swings that can make big big money very very rich(er). I'm sure someone with his level of wealth has an extremely large portfolio(s) that makes a **** ton every quarter. Plus new tax cuts for his businesses and stock investments = increased profits. Would easily explain his increase in net worth imo.

3. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Not to mention the fact that the free agent market is top heavy meaning there will be some teams striking out who will be selling themselves on overvaluing Tyreke's production because where else will you get that production in the guard market this year- Isiah Thomas, Zach Lavine?

amaru likes this.
  4. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Remember when Lebron said this:
    “I really hope that, before our career is over, we can all play together. At least one, maybe one or two seasons—me, Melo, D-Wade, CP—we can get a year in. I would actually take a pay cut to do that.”

Clearly what we have to do is figure out a way to get OKC to take Ryno for Melo then sign Lebron for the mid level. He can't go back on his word. He wouldn't dare.

5. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Paul / Wade
    Harden / EG
    Lebron / Korver
    Melo / Tucker
    Capela / Who gives a sh--

Though Wade probably doesn't want to move again. We can survive without D-Wade

It would totally be like what Brooklyn did with their new ownership. Taking on a ridiculous payroll and trading away all picks. Only Harden is a little better than Deron and old Lebron is a little better than old KG and Pierce

BigggReddd likes this.
  6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It still doesn't work.

Tillman is the primary owner of Landry's from what i can tell. What % exactly at this point, I'm not sure. When he took the company private in 2010 the article said he became the sole owner.

So previously his net worth would have been based on the equity value in Landrys. Equity value is total value less liabilities.

So if Landry's issues debt, absent any overall increase in enterprise/total value, which there shouldn't have been, since the deb wasn't used for Landry's purposes apparently, then the equity value of Landry's would go down.

Simple math. If Landry's was worth $100, and had $50 million in debt, its equity value which would be 100% owned by Fertita would be the remaining $50. If Landry's then goes out and raises another $30 million of debt, the overall value of $100 doesn't change. Landry's isn't suddenly worth $130 million. Rather, the equity value goes down. Of course, Tilman's net worth then stays the same, because either the company (which he owns 100% of) has the cash, he has the cash (subject to a divided from the company to him), or he's used to cash to buy an asset, theoretically at fair market value.

Now, the only caveat here is that in theory the enterprise value doesn't change. But when talking about a random publication making a complete estimate of a person's net worth from a privately owned company, what could have absolutely happened here was Landry's borrowed the money and it in effect made Forbes think/estimate that Landry's indeed is a more valuable company than they previously thought.

I'm not sure how much debt was borrowed. Let's call it $2 billion. If Forbes is now estimating his net worth at $4.4 billion, then they are basically saying the Rockets + Landry's + whatever else he owns separately (property, other investments, other businesses whatever) is worth $4.4 billion PLUS $2 billion PLUS whatever other debt is outstanding on those assets.

jacoby likes this.
  7. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Problem is that Evans is going to simply be a replacement for someone currently on our team, most likely Gordon. If Ariza leaves, Gordon is traded with Ryno, and we sign Evans, we would still need a legit 3rd point guard to help facilitate when Paul misses games. Either a vet (like how we signed Terry or Pablo) or someone who develops over the summer (Payton, like Ish and Canaan before him) who we can actually play in the playoffs. Thoughts?

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Is your browser or mobile device changing Tilman to have two L's, or are you actually misspelling his name.

This thread now has 10 ppl misspelling his name. :eek:

Hey, do you want to move this discussion to the Tilman purchasing the rockets thread. That thread has a lot of info about the net worth of Les and Tilman in August/Sept, the valuation of the Rockets and sale of the corporate bonds. I feel bad side tracking this thread.

Or maybe we should at least compress our comment within spoilers.

Anyhoot: I agree with your accounting. His net worth includes Landry's, so agree with you saying his shell game of selling new corporate bonds of $1.5b (as I recall), shouldn't really increase his net worth. I'm just still not sure what your explanation was as to why Forbes increased his net worth by almost exactly the new value of the Rockets, which is pretty close to the sell price of those new bonds.

9. Mazulis

Mazulis Member

Once little boy asked Grandpa to explain what is "reality" and what is "virtual reality"?
    Grandpa told boy : Go and ask your Grandma, your Mother ,and your sister: For what amount of money they are ready to get f***ed by stranger?
    Little boy run and asked all three of them. Ladies got very upset ,but after a while Grandma decided Her p**y worth 1 mil, mom decided she worth 1.5 mil, and sister decided virginity worth definitely more than 2mil.
    Boy came back to Grandpa with all the answers .
    Grandpa : You see virtually we are millionaires, but in reality we living in a house with 3 hookers.​

10. amaru

amaru Member

Lol I don’t think he is up for stint #4

11. RobKsports

RobKsports Member

The GOAT Bobby Brown

Landsdale likes this.
  12. forchette49

I thought of that, but the Warriors already picked him up on a 2-way.

13. lionaire

lionaire Member

Was listening to the latest Ben DuRose podcast and he made a good point regarding the type of scenario you mentioned. There's no reason to trade Gordon unless we're getting someone significantly better than him and Reke def is not that guy. Also, at this point Anderson is a negative contract but you don't trade him just to trade him. You move him if there's a way to improve your team. In one more year, his contract can be used to trade to a team that wants an expiring.

don grahamleone and Patience like this.
  14. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

replace wade with Reddick and were in business

15. forchette49

Even if it's to open up enough necessary cap space to re-sign both Capela and CP3?

16. lionaire

lionaire Member

I think it's highly unlikely we trade Ryan without taking back another significant contract in return. And I don't think we'd need to get rid of EG just to re-sign those guys.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Virtual reality is we are as good as the best team.

Reality..... they and refs are hookers and talented chokers. They have blown us out almost 3 times when they were on.

Mazulis likes this.
  18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Chris Paul
    James Harden
    Jimmy Butler
    PJ Tucker
    Clint Capela
    --------------------
    Tyreke Evans

Would never lose... We are coming for that 73 game record..

19. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Wade would join but it would be around all-star break to get him broke in. He would just want to be ready for playoffs. I could see him doing that for fun for a couple of years and extend his career. We are always looking for that extra creator off the bench, voila. The difference between us and Brooklyn is we can outlast the picks we give up. I think this extends everybody's career.

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Anyone that starts Carmelo Anthony over PJ Tucker at PF deserves to die at the hands of the basketball gods.

Just saying.