1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2.0]Cyberex, paging Cyberex...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Hard_foul

Hard_foul Member

Paul, Lebron, and Tucker together (defensivly) would dramatically reduce the shooting ability of the warriors.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

That contract would have been brutal when Noel reached his 50s.

3. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Asl? Cyber?

BHannes2BHonest and jacoby like this.
  4. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I think any potential pg/bron/butler type trade happening involves both ego along with future picks.

Ego is a good replacement if your afraid to lose pg for nothing in free agency.

Trading down from butler to ego doesn’t make sense but if you can get an additional asset maybe.

If your losing lebron you don’t want Gordon you want a rebuild.

I still think the most likely scenario is lebron on an opt in and trade. Send Gordon to a 3rd team for a 1st. Send that 1st and our 2019 1st along with ryno to Cleveland and it’s possible 2 future 1sts allows you to drop Ryan. Cleveland could then trade love for another’s 1st and rebuild.

But I have started working up to the sneaky idea of PG @The Cat has brought up before.

It’s been such a foregone conclusion he’s going to LA that it’s one of those out of nowhere things we have come to appreciate Morey for.

PG13 is an LA guy. This team is nothing but LA guys. I think he could be persuaded by Harden, cp3 and company.

Now Oklahoma wouldn’t want to trade him, but he says he’s walking to LA or trade me to Houston. It makes since to replace him with Gordon and an asset. They are stuck building around Westbrook and could use off ball shooting and secondary playmaking with a team capped out whether they retain PG or Lose him.

I don’t think Minnesotan blows it up just yet. Look for them to try desperately to trade Wiggins while he still has “potential”.

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I agree that this is the goal, and I'm sure Daryl/Tad will make that clear in their talks this month with Chris, Clint, etc. However, letting one of those core guys actually walk for the sake of maybe another MLE player in Year 2 is extreme.

You want to save as much as you can... but letting a foundation piece like CP3/Capela walk for zero compensation and without any flexibility to replace them is literally waving the white flag on the current era. If you do that, you shouldn't re-sign the other, and you might should consider trading Harden, too. (Actually, he might demand that, considering he signed his extension last summer under the impression that the franchise was all-in.)

If you can get one or both of Paul/Capela to sign for below the max, fantastic. I hope they can. However, the obsession some have to the point where they're apparently willing to let one walk for no compensation (all while the team remains capped out) is what I can't understand.

6. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Exactly. If things don't work out, you trade Capela as an ASSET down the road.

don grahamleone and BMoney like this.
  7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

No I’m totally with you. If Paul wants the max I give him the max but I certainly hope he will give up some dollars

don grahamleone, saleem and The Cat like this.
  8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Capela shows flashes when he gets the ball deep in the paint on offense at times. There are nevertheless offensive limitations which precludes him from getting touches. He has a long way to go before he can convince many people that he is a potential star. Once the P/R was taken away by Draymond, he was struggling. He had a pretty good performance in Game 7, but two points in Game 6 exposed him too.
    He is not a young KG, or Giannis. Players like that are worth the max.
    I don't hate Clint, I want him to succeed on the Rockets, but I'm not interested in locking him in to 20 M, unless Lebron and Chris Paul sign with the Rockets. I expect Chris to stay in Houston, but we all know the chances of acquiring Lebron are remote. If Clint gets the max from some other team, I'm okay with that.

MghtyPtrck likes this.
  9. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I think it's more realistic for Paul to give up years than dollars. I do think his role as NBPA president makes it tough for him to give much of a discount... but there is precedent for signing shorter-term deals at the max (i.e. LeBron, Durant). Gives them peak leverage and flexibility, etc. And if the Rockets are starting to fall off by 2021 or so, it might actually prove beneficial to CP to let him survey the landscape at that time and go to wherever he has the best shot to contend for his final few years. My guess is Zach Lowe's compromise scenario of a 3-year max is probably what ends up happening.

10. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

There's our backup PG for Paul.

don grahamleone likes this.
  11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

This can only happen if Capela works
    like mad to get better in the off season. His game will need to show further improvement in 2018-19.

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Tyreke Evans has missed a whole lot of games. Unless he were willing to sign for a small amount and play no more than 20 mpg, I don't know. But then again, if we lose EGO, he might be the sort of player you sign while whistling past the graveyard. "He won't get hurt........he won't get hurt...."

Huricane and justtxyank like this.
  13. topfive

topfive CF OG

Oops. Fixed it. Thx.

14. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

My understanding is that with their FA cap holds, the Lakers have $45M in cap space. They'd need around $65M to sign both Lebron and PG13.

If they can dump Deng and not take back any salary and then renounce their rights to their free agents (i.e. Thomas and Randle) then they can get to just over the $65M in cap space. That would allow them to sign two max players.

They wouldn't be able to also acquire Kawhi in addition to two max guys though. In order to trade Ingram and Kuzma for Leonard, they'd have to use up cap space since the incoming salary would be so much more. If they use their cap space on Lebron and PG13 then they can't do a Leonard deal without including a lot more salary. The flip side is that if they use their cap space to trade for Leonard, then they don't have enough cap space to sign both Lebron and PG13.

Best case seems to be two max guy and you'd have no cap space remaining and the rights to all free agents would have been revoked. If instead of signing Lebron , you signed a younger guy who has a lower max (maybe Cousins) then you'd have a little cap space left after the signings.

Still a good position as far as cap space though.

15. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

Matt Maloney and Bobby Bonilla even think rhat contract is outrageous.

16. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Maloney-esque

17. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Disagree. He will get max offers based on current value. He would have similar or greater value even with minor improvements

18. basketballholic

That's right. Wiggins is as close to a bust as you can get without being a total bust. Mint wants rid of him. Talks about KAT and Butler are all misdirection tut draw teams out about Wiggins. Bait and Switch.

ROXTXIA and bulkatron like this.
  19. basketballholic

@cyberx

Heard any talk about the Warriors making a run at Paul George using Klay as trade bait.

20. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

If the Lakers are going to use cap space to sign FAs, then they won't have a MLE. Best they will have is Room Exception. That's over $4m and less than $5m. Hard to see Thomas taking a deal like that.