1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[1st round Pick] Patrick Patterson - F - Kentucky

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 24, 2010.

1. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Oh are teams is clearly not made of scrubs. Nobody would be talking about what we could get if they wherent all pretty good. Patterson and Hill clearly are very valuable to every team in this league if we offered them. I would feel good keeping them too. I am thinking aboiut standing pat and seeing what we have in Hill and Patterson first before everyone starts saying Bosh this and that during free agency. I mean is Bosh really worth Patterson, Hill and our Knicks picks? Patterson and Hill would probably end up being a more potent depth on our chart than Bosh alone. Yao and Patterson and Hill with Scola might be better than Bosh and Yao with none of that depth. I am think the Rockets might be better off now than the teams offering these sign and trade players because we really dont need them. They are the ones gonna lose their players for almost nothing and the Rockets would be doing them a huge favor to restock them with potentially better players than just Bosh alone when he leaves. I like our guys.

1 person likes this.
  2. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

Is Patterson really undersized? Everyone keeps saying this, but I think I read that the Rockets graded him out as standard size for a PF. He's 6'9", with a 7'1" wingspan, and is known for his physical play. Doesn't really sound undersized to me. Is this a situation where one misinformed person suggests he's undersized and everyone just latches onto that and assumes it's true and starts repeating it and bemoaning it?

3. Rockets_Truth

Rockets_Truth Contributing Member

looks more like he spit his gum out, and put it back in his mouth.

4. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Yep. Pretty much. 6'9 would be undersized for the center position but not PF. Yet the Hayes supporters will totally forget this once the season begins.

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1. John Wall
    2. Evan Turner
    3. Derrick Favors
    4. Wesley Johnson
    5. Demarcus Cousins
    ???????????????????
    This order might not be right, but it proves that the Rockets have a lot of confidence in this kid. He was 6th on the board...

6. Ekpe Udoh
    7. Greg Monroe

One thing that really stuck out to me was DM saying that he can "guard EVERY 4 in the league, and some 5's"...

6. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

When you have a lottery pick, you don't draft a player just to back up Yao. You never draft a player for position. Its like saying we shouldn't draft Lebron James because we had 2 SF already but instead draft Darko because we needed a back up center. The main point of the draft is to draft the best player available. Its like passing up on John Wall because you already have two PG. The Wizards drafted a PG in Wall even though they already have Gilbert Arenas who also plays the same position.

So overall, when you have a lottery pick, you will always go for the best player available. Luckily, Patterson is top 10 talent but amazingly he falls into the Rockets lab at 14. There is no way the Rockets are going to pass up this great opportunity. Im just happy you're not the Rockets GM and that Morey is because he knows what he's doing.

3 people like this.
  7. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

For those of you who wanted Whiteside, he fell to the 2nd round. There is no way the Rockets will use their 14 pick for Whiteside who is no where near the talent of Patrick Patterson.

8. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Thank you Mamba Joe! :)

9. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Besides who needs size at the forward position now when you have 7'6 Yao ming back to go with 6'10 Jordan Hill at center? Kinda only meant something last year when we didnt have the big guy there next to the powerforward position

10. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jwjCSvE1ngk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jwjCSvE1ngk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Agree. LOL at 6'10 Hill is just as tall as the other C's taken in this draft.

12. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I haven't read the whole thread yet... but as you all can guess...

I LOVE THIS PICK!

That is all.

1 person likes this.
  13. MykTek

MykTek Member

I love the pick, his #54 made me think of Rodney Rogers, a PF who was tuff on the block but could take it out to three point range.

14. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

I don't like the Patterson pick. But I've been wrong on Morey picks before...

15. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

This was an excellent pick @ 14. Nobody should be crying about this pick.

I am ecstatic that we did not draft Whiteside at 14. There were a number of good BIGS (C's) that did not get drafted. Maybe the Rockets will invite one of them to Vegas...

16. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Doesn't seem like he has alot of upside, but he'll be solid for years to come. I think he's Hayes replacement for the short term and maybe a starter in the long term. If the Rockets hadn't picked Patterson who would you have them pick. The only players I thought was good enough to consider was Anderson, Babbit and Whiteside.

17. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

I pretty much see it your way, but without the day in and day out close up observation of these players I dont have much intelligence to go on any of these guys. But from what I saw, I just feel superstars are worth much more than low upside solid character guys like Patterson. I dunno maybe trade down to get Whiteside.

18. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Huge upside! top ten potential pick falls to you? Huge upside. Hill and Patterson have more upside than most teams starting PFs and center combos do..

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

What is it about PP that seems low upside to you? He's fast, tall enough, and has good all around skills. We're not exactly talking about a land-bound oaf here, the dude can run and get up. Are there any superstars we could have gotten at the 14th which I don't know about? Don't complain for the sake of complaining, think of what we could've done first before labeling rookies you haven't seen play yet as low upside.

20. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Really? You see, I think Patterson has a WAY higher upside than Whiteside...