1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1st in the West. Fools Gold???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by UrbanEnterprise, Dec 1, 2017.

1. UrbanEnterprise

17-4

1/4 of the season done and we have yet to play

Boston x2, Portland x4, New Orleans x4, San Antonio x4, OKC x3, Milwaukee x2, Washington x2, Detroit x2, Minnesota x4, Heat x2

and still have to play again Golden State x2, Cleveland, Toronto

teams we've blown out but can still be tough Denver x2, Utah x3

should we be worried?

2. bongman

bongman Member

That were winning games that we should?

tmactoyao, DonKnock, Mazulis and 14 others like this.
  3. dragonwill

dragonwill Member

We lost to Memphis x2

4. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

We rollin

We Stacked

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I dun think it is Fool's Gold. Regular season and Postseason are different beasts though.

Regular season heroics while not being as acclaimed as Postseason accomplishments are still very much legitimate.

I looked at the next opponent as well.

January will be tough and next year.

6. UrbanEnterprise

I will say with Chris Paul I feel better about our schedule, but ***** about to get real really soon and we bout to see who this team really is.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  7. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

It wont be tough soon because we play like 2 games in 10 days or something crazy. Is this already all star break?

BigShasta and Mazulis like this.
  8. amaru

amaru Member

Games don’t matter in the regular season for teams with championship goals. All you want to do is:
    1) win enough games to qualify for the post season
    2) not have big injuries
    3) develop chemistry

Our season doesn’t really start until April/May....now is the time to try to find that missing piece to beat GSW

9. ilias

ilias Member

Strength of schedule has been a bit easier than average, a couple of % points lower than GS. At the same time we missed Paul for 10 games. Paul coming back should reduce silly losses (eg against Memphis or Philly at home). I think we have a 25% chance at the first seed.

Lawlruschang and Nook like this.
  10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

We definitely will not keep up this pace. Our remaining schedule is pretty tough. We won games that we were supposed to win and that's good. Shows the team is committed. They want to give the Warriors a run for the number 1 seed.

11. j@amc

j@amc Member

I think we need a reality check here. Most NBA teams that have added 3 or more players (or even 1 or 2 prominent players) to their rotation have struggled to maintain a .500 record--no matter who they play. Consider the latest OKC project as exhibit A and think back to the Miami teams as well. That we have added 3 rotation players and are #1 in the West isn't fools gold. It's a sign that we're a solid contender with a group that has bought in.

Where the Rockets would usually lose to lesser teams as the NBA stepped into its grind, we're winning in pretty commanding fashion. The team seems to have higher sights than getting through the regular season which is where a lot of teams (and a lot of Rocket teams) have ended up.

We've also played this shoot 40 3s a game style for long enough that we have the endurance (and roster) to play an entire game and an entire season this way.

The transformation reminds me of what's happened lately with hurry up style of play in NCAA football. When Chip Kelly went all-in on hurry up style play it took a season and half for the conditioning on his own team for the culture to set in, and it took other teams multiple years to adjust. I think we're seeing a similar shift in the NBA with an increasing number of 3s.

PS. Can we beat GS? Maybe. I do like the idea of Chris Paul chasing Curry and Harden settling in on Thompson. Durant and Green are tough matchups for everyone. . . I also think our new depth gives us true options against Livingston, Iguodala, and West. . . Personally, I think San Antonio is actually a worse matchup. Let's keep winning so we don't have to play them in an early series.

DonKnock and D-rock like this.
  12. Rockets4Life13

The fashion in which we won games lately makes me really comfortable for the rest of the season. It looked like we didn't care at all and still won by 20 every game. Sign of a great team - GSW does just that every year.

13. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

I would think so too but the Rockets have the highest point differential at 10.8 with GSW the closest at 10.2 The next closest is the Raptors at 7.3 Houston and GSW are in a different tier than the rest of the NBA.

14. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

I counted 32 games (not including Denver and Utah) that you pointed out, but it's early and I could be wrong.

If they go. 500 over those 32 games and win every other contest, then they win 62 games and are most likely the 2ND seed at worst.

15. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I don't think anybody here actually thinks that the team is going to win 69 games. But they're beating teams, and beating them by huge margins with offense and defense. Would you rather if they had lost more games?

I don't get why people feel the need to throw cold water on the fact that the team is doing exactly what it's supposed to.

16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

easy schedule imo, we will lose more games here or there to better teams. But we generally smash bad teams so our record will still end up pretty good.

17. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Even the blind can see that we are the only team that can f with the Warriors

DonKnock and D-rock like this.
  18. Samiam1234

Samiam1234 Member

the only team that worries me in that list are the warriors.. We are better then all other teams if perfectly healthy.. In fact its sucks for those teams that our schedule is easier and giving our stars time to gel and build chemistry.. I think Portland next Saturday should be the first real test.

19. 1Deep

1Deep Member

We'll win some & we'll lose some, but most of those teams are more worried about facing us than we are them.

DonKnock, D-rock, Cash Cam and 2 others like this.
  20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i beg to differ sir

D-rock likes this.