1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1st 2 weeks of NBA season canceled

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ascaptjack, Oct 10, 2011.

1. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

what does that have to do with anything. i'm guessing we could find a million different revenue splits out there. why should art dealing be the future basis of all economic transactions?

between mentioning what people in the arts make (while ignoring those in the performing arts can make gobs of money, even more than athletes, because they do the same thing athletes do - entertain), macarthur genius grants, and art dealer revenue split, i'm trying to figure out why you keep playing that angle for how the nba negotiations should go.

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Ron hasn't been taking his meds.:rolleyes:

3. Spooner

Spooner Member

The only reason I mentioned any of this is because I wholeheartedly disagree with an article Garner cited in an attempt to convince me to take the players side. In the article it compares revenues of the art world to that of the NBA.

On a side note, I believe the players really screwed themselves...

4. supa

supa Contributing Member

David Stern is going to break the Union and then break them again.

Be mad at the owners or the players but not sure what players end game is here. Below are the options they have:

1) Continue to negotiate and hope the owners change their stance. Not likely.

2) Wait until December and then hope the owners change their stance. Remember the middle of December is the break even point for the players to recoup the money they are losing by missing games (refer to LC's article). At that point I doubt it is likely the owners change their stance.

3) Decertify the Union- They can take it to the courts but remember the owners pre-empted them to get it in the venue they wanted. Also the owners filed a counter suit. I believe the date of this hearing is slated for Nov. 2nd. The NFL court decision after appeals took 12 weeks. That means if the Union decertifies tomorrow we are looking at a December decision. If they wait much longer they may get a decision from the courts ending the lockout but if its after January the owners may still decide ok your not locked out but we have to cancel the season. I cannot see the average NBA player taking a chance on missing a years worth of salary they will never recoup.

4) They have to hope the labor board agrees with them that the NBA is not bargaining in good faith. This is about their best hail mary. I don't think they win because the NBA is losing money that they can show from audits using accepted accounting techinques. The players can argue interest payments should not be included in those losses but it is a general accounting practice to include interest payments foir businesses.

The players can continue this and may get the owners to 53% with a hard cap or other things the owners want, but I cannot see a scenario where they are only delaying the inevitable.

1 person likes this.
  5. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I haven't followed this at all but there was talk of this years ago. I'm puzzled if either is is true below.

A. They just waited until this year to negotiate

B. They have not agreed on anything in over two years.....

I hope they play for the sake of people employed by the teams that are not missing their checks. I dont really care about the players/owners and how they want to split their wealth....

6. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

To the owners and players of the NBA:

[​IMG]

7. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Only thing I'm confused about is why Monday be specifically the deadline?

Can't they just schedule more meeting this week and next to preserve the start of the season or at least postpone it?

And why did they wait until the 11th hour? It's like I know I have a test coming up in a couple of weeks but I don't start studying for it until the day before and end up pulling an all nighter for no reason.

Bunch of jokes. At least the NFL took care of business in advance.

8. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

In a weird sense, I feel kind of relieved.

Now back to you're regularly scheduled programming.

9. Spooner

Spooner Member

Great job players. Go to Europe. See how you like it there. Oh, by the way the economic market there is fantastic! Everyone is happy! You are sure to make your hard earned millions there! It's not like some top teams are trying to sell their franchises or anything! Have fun players!

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The owners are in a box and whatever agreement is reached must be less favorable than they offered today. Otherwise, they will lose whatever remaining credibility they have. There is no backtracking and compromise now.

Which is why the entire season is in jeopardy.

11. Kurupt the Kingpin

It's a different league but I think the NHL kind of set a precedent that the NBA owners might try to follow. The NHL rebounded strongly after a lost season which I'm sure didn't go unnoticed by the NBA owners. Judging by the negotiations they weren't interested in starting the season on time, and likely they're willing to go all the way here, as in willing to lose an entire year, to get the deal they want.

12. Spooner

Spooner Member

If you must know, I never ignored people in the performing arts. If you are talking about the freakshow known as popular music, then yes, those people make tons of money. However, once again, record companies take most of those profits. Very, very rarely is there even a 50-50 split. Most cases it is far less. Just goes to show you how much money is made in that scam...

Performing arts? I don't think so.

13. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

God this lockout exposes the unwillingness of Stern and the owners to negotiate. From the start, they wanted this lockout to last as long as possible.

What's the point of negotiating? Damn these old fools.

14. Spooner

Spooner Member

Just out of curiosity, why would they want the lockout to last as long as possible?

15. t_mac1

1) See what happened with the NHL (a few owners also own NHL teams)
    2) They want more control of player's contracts/lengths to cover up for their dumbass mistakes.
    3) They want the players to give back more money (and they think the longer the lockout goes, the players will bend) to cover up for their losses, and not willing to increase revenue sharing.
    And I can go into more.

From the start, the owners have gone up from 46% to 47% (not the 50% that is reported). 1 freakin' %? That's not negotiating.

A lot of owners who have no business owning an NBA team. And those guys just don't want to lose money, without any knowledge of running an NBA team (ala a Sarver of the Suns or Grizzlies owner). Owners like that are slowing down this entire process.

16. Spooner

Spooner Member

I agree with your points, however I have a hard time believing the owners wanted this to happen. Missing games hurts them financially as well. No one wants to lose money. As they are more powerful than the players, the players inevitably bend. I am sure the owners wanted to resolve the issue on time but this was probably plan B for the owners. I don't see an exit strategy for the players though, just seems like they screwed themselves...

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I don't see what incentive so many fans have to be on the players' side of things. But it sure seems like a lot are - led by the players' message-board PR manager, TMac1. :)

18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

lmao... Ron would say that.

19. t_mac1

Why should we be on the owners when they authorize their dumb ass GMs to throw money to players who don't deserve them? And expect the players to solve their own problems.

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Wow I hate this