1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1st 2 weeks of NBA season canceled

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ascaptjack, Oct 10, 2011.

1. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Exactly. The players make the NBA, how can you expect them to accept 47%?

2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Right, kinda like when he said the owners offered the players a "50/50 split", even though it was really 46% once certain unmentioned expenses were taken off the top?

1 person likes this.
  3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Stern, and the owners, SUCK!!!

4. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

The players don't want to have a massive decrease in pay, which going from 57% to 50% or lower would be. And the ors locked them out, they didn't strike. I mention this because you ask what do the players want when the owners are the ones who opted out.

5. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

I am embarrassed and disappointed for both sides not being able to come together for the fans.

NBA can go to hell. If they're okay with losing money, then by all means lets make it happen.

Thank you NFL for caring.

6. pge71188

pge71188 Member

7. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

SBRadio Sports Biz Radio by sam_amick
    Have spoken to multiple NBA employees with different teams and staff meetings 1st thing in morning. Furloughs or layoffs could b coming. Sad

Great job! :rolleyes:

8. lalala902102001

Amid the current economic climate, I think there is a very good chance that the entire season maybe cancelled. The players better start looking for other jobs that will pay them playing basketball.

9. rocketsmetalspd

What gets to me is how the owners gave up I believe 54% of the cut to the players in the last CBA. No owner of a business would ever give up that much of the business to another. I hope the fans can go on strike whenever this is over with.

10. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

They did have a Team Wade vs Team Lebron game. It is unlikely the pros made enough revenue to match their current league salary per game. While a full blown competing league has been proven unsuccessful by Isiah Thomas. One should consider that many players live paycheck to paycheck and end up bankrupt within 5 years of retirement. It is unlikely they even the huge amounts of capital to foot $4+bil player payroll, and operating costs such as marketing, new stadium construction, etc. They will end up as a better version of the CBA unlikely to surpass their old salaries. Many of the players would probably make more money in Europe than in a mini-league like the CBA.

11. Garner

Garner Member

I don't think you realize how little that has to do with the author's point...

12. woket

woket Member

I don't quite get why a 50-50 split is not seen as both fair and agreeable for all concerned if that is the sticking point.

I mean, isn't a 50-50 split between two parties as "fair" as you can get?

13. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Because it was never actually proposed and was never gonna be 50/50 in the 1st place.

It was gonna likely be 47% with incentives that raise it to 50%.

14. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Not when the league marketing strategy is centered around the players, not the teams.

15. Spooner

Spooner Member

So tell me this. If art dealers get in most cases over 50% of revenue, why should it be any different for NBA owners?

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

how it "should be" is irrelevant

you get what you negotiate

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

They should have decertifyed right away, just like the NFL players. it puts the owners feet to the fire.

Right now, the owners are not interested in a fair deal they are intersted in taking down the union.

DD

18. Spooner

Spooner Member

We all see where that got us...

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Ok this is naive.....

Lots of owners pay more than 60% of their revenue to salaries......

They are not giving up ANY ownership.......just negotiating how much % of the revenue they generate goes to the reason for the revenue.

DD

20. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

50-50 might be "fair" if we were talking about 2 people, and we were talking about earnings, not revenue. but they are dividing up revenue. and the expenses only come out of the owners' portion of that revenue split. the players just get the 50% and that's that. but then the owners are the only ones who benefit from franchises increasing in value (good luck with that now, guys). and then of course there are like 500 players and 30 owners. so saying 50-50 is the obvious answer greatly oversimplifies things. and who even knows who is lying about what numbers.

for some reason, i feel like derek fisher is part of the problem. it seems like his success as a role player is making him too big for his britches and he wants to make this epic stand on principle because he thinks he's up to it and thinks everyone thinks he's up to it. or i'm just wildly conjecturing :).

but seriously, good luck with that whole "standing strong" thing guys. giving up $360 million a month to fight over $120 million a year is pretty hilarious. and really, being willing to give up the whole season? fantastic strategy.

"alright guys, here's my plan. i'm gonna risk $2.1B in earnings for a possible $120M a year. in 18 years my plan will be looking golden! those future players will love us. even though that will probably be 3 CBA's in the future and no one will even give a crap about this current negotiation. oh yeah, and all that stands between us and glory are a bunch of guys who, on average, are worth about 100 to 1000 times what we're worth and can pretty much wait around forever and still be extremely wealthy. we can't lose!!"

good luck with that guys. and good luck to you owners on getting revenue back up to these levels any time soon. you better hope the evil lebron who is destroying your league and it's competitive balance raises ratings another 30% in the near future.

granted, i don't much care about losing a few games. hell, even 50 is fine with me, though i'd have liked 82. as an nba fan, i just don't like what this does to the nba's reputation, especially coming off of last season. of course, nba fans seem to hate and complain about their league more than any other group of fans of a league (i'm not even sure why some are fans tbh) so i guess it won't be anything new, but it does suck to throw all that goodwill down the drain. they could probably salvage most of it if they really only missed these 2 weeks, but that's a pipe dream at this point.

at this point, all i can really root for is an epic caving by the players and grand triumph for stern. and i'm not even on the owners side (or the players side). unlike others, i like that evil b*stard and think he's been great for the league. punking the players as a send off for thinking they could risk 360 a month for 120 a year against a bunch of billionaires would be pretty funny.

#60 francis 4 prez, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2011