1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1999 RAMS vs 2006 TEXANS

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by texanskan, Apr 27, 2006.

1. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Guys a simple yes or no,

can we shock the world and go from worst to first like the 1999 St Louis Rams?

Are we I say no but CAN WE I say yes!

2. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

No. Defense still sucks.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

the rams changed qbs :) they also got marshall faulk. they also had orlando pace, who doesn't get talked about enough in their success.

4. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Rosenfels, trade for Edge, and draft DBrickashaw ;)

5. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

The '99 Rams defense sucked too.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Easy there, tex.

I think 8-8 is the best case scenario.

7. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

No way in Hell.

The team was 2 and 14 for a reason. Many many sub par players on the roster. Many holes to fill. I'd say in 2 years they might make 8-8.

8. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

99 Rams probably the best offense of all time. Its unfair to compare anybody to them except the 98 Vikes and the 04 Colts. If Carr can step his game up and have his td total in the 21 to 24 range then I think the Texans can have a top 14 offense in the league but the defense is terrible and that means about 6 wins next season.

9. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I was thinking the 62 Rams. (J/K)

10. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Oh gosh no, those teams offenses were way below the pre-salary cap era Cowboys and 49ers that were capable of 50+ points against playoff defenses.

11. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Since I live in San Diego, I've had Chargers season tickets the last two years. The expectation for the Chargers in the 2004 season were WAY lower than the Texans expectations are now. I remember people here talking about how they might be one of the worst teams ever. Without playing Rivers because of his contract holdout, they really didn't even have a first round addition to the team for that season.

Well they ended up going 12-4, winning the division, and getting a home game in the playoffs. From that point on, I will never count out a team. You never know when players specifically like Drew Brees (and hopefully David Carr) just "get it."

Lets hope David Carr "gets it" this year with some help ... So I say yes they can.

12. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

The Rams had a soft regular season schedule in 99. The offense took a lot of people by surprise and they blindsided quite a few teams. The defense was opportunistic and benefited from other teams playing catchup.

The Rams were fortunate to beat the Bucs in the playoffs and barely held on to beat the Titans. One final note, the 99 Rams were fun to watch and they were Super Bowl champs. Nothing sweeter then seeing the Rams beat Bud Adams team. Awe, memories.

13. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

easily 99 rams......this thread is a joke

14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

The Rams didn't have a brand new head coach in his first stint. I'm not downplaying Kubiak or anything, but nothing is going to happen overnight.

The Rams had Kurt Warner (who was the BEST QB in the league that season, if not the best player). Issaac Bruce and Holt were the premier receivers in the league. Let's not forget Marshall, as good as Bush is being claimed as being, he is no Marshall Faulk.

15. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Wasn't Kurt Warner sacking groceries a few years before that? I think that was his breakout year and he came out of nowhere. Bruce was still a premier, but fading WR in the league and had 77 catches for 1165 yards. Holt was just emerging into the league at that point and only had 52 catches for 788 yards.

Faulk with 1300 rushing yards and 1000 receiving yards made that team go.

16. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Yeah those were great offenses too. I just think the Vikes with Moss, C Carter, and Robert Smith were more explosive than those Cowboys offenses.

17. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

That Bert Emmanuel play was the key in that NFC Championship game. The Bucs were the only team in the league that could stop that offense but the Bucs couldn't put points on the board.

18. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

"You know what I'll do...? I'll take that deal in crawfish and drill that ol' devil in the *ss..." - Curly Bill Brocious

19. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Absolutely not. texans are playing Big D, Phila, NYG, Wash, Colts(twice), Jax(twice). It's gonna be another looooong season. Get a defense, then we can talk.

20. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Sometimes SwoLy you leave me scratching my head. :confused: :confused: But I do like Crawfish. :D :D