1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[1995 Academy Awards] Forrest Gump vs Shawshank Redemption vs Pulp Fiction.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by moestavern19, Feb 17, 2009.

1. dylan

dylan Contributing Member

And of course, baby-boomers loved it. After all "the film celebrates what that generation witnessed (but to which it did not contribute), criticizes what that generation condemned (but to which it does not offer corrections), yet absolves it of any responsibility for its shortcomings and failures."

Note that the quote is not mine, it is from a review but I cannot find the original so I cannot properly attribute.

But look at what you wrote: "he was always put with the outcasts". Again, doing what he was told. He doesn't do these things on his own.

Heck I'm not saying that Gump wasn't a nice guy, or didn't deserve good things. But very little, if any, positive result in the film is a result of Gump actually doing something on his own rather than letting something happen to him.

2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I think that when people think of what you are they think of Down syndrome. I don't believe we are ever told what Hanks disability is or the cause of it so it is largely left up to the viewer I guess.

3. dylan

dylan Contributing Member

Wow Lil Pun, that was harsh! Poor Mr. Clutch. :(

4. Lil Pun

This is not true. Nobody told him to enlist in the army, somebody just handed him a brochure. Nobody told him to start running and inspire those along the way, he just did it. Nobody told him to give Bubba's mother Bubba's share but he did it (Gump mentions Lt. Dan actually telling him he was crazy for doing so). Gump was not told to save those soldiers in Vietnam but he did so and again against orders. All of those things ended up with positive results.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For me, Forrest Gump isn't a truly great film.

It was pretty good, and used some technology innovations. The script was downright cheesy in some places, and insulting to the audience.

Pulp Fiction has the greatest script, and uses the La Ronde method to tell the story. That was very interesting. As far as filmmaking goes I would say it's the most original.

Shawshank Redemption is a great story with great acting, and the traditional Best Film type of experience. There is nothing wrong with this one winning.

That being said I would give Pulp Fiction the advantage just because it seems more original to me. I know that the techniques have been used before, but they aren't traditional in American filmmaking.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

this is the best example because he didn't even go back for those other soilders, he went back for his best friend, he wasn't even trying to be a hero.

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I enjoyed watching Forrest Gump and Shawshank Redemption. Neither were great films imo.

I am not a big fan of Pulp Fiction. Way to much gratuitous violence. I can see the cult classic angle though.

Both Forrest Gump and Pulp Fiction suffered from too many story lines in one movie. In general, I am not a big fan of "epics".

That leaves Shawshank Redemption as the best of the bunch. Now if they had only named it ... "Improbable Conversations in a Prison Yard"

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

LOL, but i think that was kind of the point, andy brought a civility to prison.

9. Lil Pun

Damn, 1994 was a great year and I would place "The Lion King" as a good film as well.

10. Fatty FatBastard

No kidding. The Leprechaun 2 was completely shut out of the Oscars that year because of it. And it is a shame, as it easily holds up to the above mentioned films.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Wasn't that the point? He was a mentally screwed up person who found himself in the most amazing situations.

12. Mr. Clutch

What was that for? :mad:

13. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

I liked all 3 of them punk...........and thats all I have to say about that.

14. Lil Pun

You're reading it wrong.

15. Mr. Clutch

Yeah I know, just kidding.

16. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

This was the year I gave up on the Oscar's. Gump was an OK film. Pulp Fiction and Shawshank Redemption remain on my list of best movies ever made. Gump running away with the prizes was a joke.

I would've given best picture to Shawshank, but you can make a good case for Pulp Fiction because it was just so damn revolutionary when it came out.

17. Fatty FatBastard

If by revolutionary you mean incredibly stupid.

Pulp Fiction is inferior to Resevoir Dogs in every way. I just thought it was dumb.

18. Lil Pun

I know, I'm being sarcastic. :p

19. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Picture - Shawshank
    Actor - Hanks
    Director - Tarantino

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Gump may not have great dialogue, but its one of the most quotable movies ever.

I didn't mean to break up your black panther party
    your moma sure cares about your education
    jenny's dad really loved her and her sisters (paraphrase)
    why you and ain't go no legs lt dan
    broiled shrimp, baked shrimp,
    because you told me sergeant drill master
    when coons get on our porch mama just shoos em away with a broom (paraphrase)