1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1993 dunk contest

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by otis thorpe, Sep 1, 2013.

1. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

surprisingly good

I was watching old dunk contests on nba channel and started at 92 which was absolutely horrible. larry Johnson whom I was a big fan of was in the finals missing the simplest dunks and lost to cedrick ceballos. well the 93 dunk contest featured baby Jordan (Harold minor) and I can't believe I forgot this, our own Kenny the jet smith.

Kenny opened up with a 360 alley oop off the backboard. I remember he had hops before he came to Houston. when he was in sacramento he had a nike air flight commercial with super dave. I thought after the knee injuries he couldn't sky like that anymore.

anyway conventional wisdom says dunk contests sucked after Jordan and before vinsanity but that was a pretty good one.

2. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Yeah I've been watching some of these as well and they really are fun to watch.

Prior to allowing infinitely many misses (or so it seems), it was a terrific event.

3. LoganRoxFan

LoganRoxFan Member

Went to the 93 dunk contest and the all-star game. All-star game was great but all I really remember about the dunk contest was how dead the crowd was.

4. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

watched the 2000 Dunk contest. Still one of the best I have seen in a long time. all other ones are like gimmicky and lame... I wish LeBron, Paul George, Westbrook, Blake Griffin, Dwight Howard, and Nate Robinson would all jump into the 2014 NBA dunk contest. Remember when Jordan and Nique battled?! Pepperridge farms remembers

[​IMG]

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

Well if they can't get the superstars to battle it out, then they have to figure another way of making it interesting (without the wheel of fortune). Maybe have an all-white players dunk contest. It's a horrible idea, but I'm sure the NBA Marketing team could think of better things.

6. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

fun tidbit

Kenny Smith actually replaced Robert Horry dunk contest, he had a minor injury and The Jet replaced him, who also did the 3 point shooting the same night. Craig Hodges was even in the 3 point contest and wasn't playing for any NBA team, he was invited back because he was the 3 time champ at the time

7. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

All they have to do is get James White, Gerald Green, and other pure dunkers to participate. Don't really care to see lebron's lame dunks.

8. BabyBatterBoy

BabyBatterBoy Member

they did that last season and it didn't work out too well.