1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1993-94 after 38 games

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bro2044, Jan 7, 2017.

1. bro2044

bro2044 Member

...were also 29-9.

Dont get me wrong, no jinxes or delusions of '17 title, but man... its been a long time since I've had this much fun watching our team.

Im not forgetting parts of the Yao/Tmac years or anything, and perhaps its how HORRIBLY bad we were last year, but its interesting to feel like looking at most teams in the NBA, we can beat them even on our off nights.

Theres some real fight in these guys, weve complimented Harden well and the scheme overall is working.

We still need a great rebounding big, but I kindve love our Capela, Harrell, Nene carousel. I look forward to watching our guys and really feel genuine positivity during the game. There is an "it" factor, like a personality/spirit that I like in these guys, and havent felt in quite a while.

Its nice witnessing it with you guys!

RedDragon01, Amiga, Ramo$e and 5 others like this.
  2. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

My biggest concern is injuries. Past history indicates Gordon will miss a big chunk of games. Anderson too. I don't want the games missed to be playoff games. The championship team had all durable guys. Nice run so far though

tinman likes this.
  3. kyle7758521

kyle7758521 Member

My biggest concern is that our shooters will choke from perimeter when the defense of playoff games getting more tense, and meanwhile Harden’s turnover even gets higher in this situation.

it reminds me very much the seaon 06-07 when the X-factor Luther Head choked from everywhere. In the regular season, L Head is a very important backup SG for T-Mac and fulfilled his job pretty well in regular. But in the playoff, he just could not make a single ball.

in this case, I am more worried about E Gordon and R Anderson, and Yes Ariza...
    It is gonna kill us, when we can’t shoot the ball and keeps turning the ball over.

4. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

We can never have too many threads about how great The Rockets are this year. It is such an extraordinary thing.

Watching this team anymore puts me in the mind of a self-replenishing supply of very fine, expensive cocaine.

I feel alert and alive, even watching on DVR recording delay, in a way I haven't since the Olajuwon years. I'm talking and yelling at my TV even though I know I'm watching a recording and the game is actually long over while I'm watching it.

I'd forgotten what this felt like, rooting for a team that brings it every night, that finds a way to win even when the offense they largely rely on isn't there for them. On several recent occasions the defense has had to be excellent to keep us in games where shots weren't falling. It's so exciting to know that while we usually will have that great offense going, we can still find ways to win without it.

I'm 47 and I've lived hard but these games are making me feel like I'm in my 20's again.

cato13, J Sizzle, MadMax and 3 others like this.
  5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Houstunna likes this.
  6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's definitely fun and refreshing, but I don't get too excited anymore. The '94 team was built for the playoffs - physical defenders at every position except maybe point guard. 3 point shooting and solid spacing. Penetrating guards (Cassell and Maxwell). A versatile small forward in Horry who literally did everything. A bruising power forward who was one part enforcer, one part scorer in Thorpe. And of course, one of the greatest two-way players ever in Hakeem.

This team doesn't have great defense in the paint and doesn't have a post-up player. But heck they are 29-9 so why not? A team with that record is capable of going deep into the playoffs.

But remember there have been some teams with high scoring attacks that flame out. (Seattle Sonics of 93-95. , Dallas Mavericks in 07, Suns had their years, Sac-town, Clippers).

Defense wins the day in the playoffs, and what I look for is to see if the Rockets can regain some of that defensive intensity they showed during their 10 game win streak when CC returns.

Still, I am impressed they have won 7 without him. Barely though.

7. jayfree

jayfree Member

That 93-94 team also only had one superstar in Hakeem and role players to rebound, enforce and hit 3s.

8. jayfree

jayfree Member

Injuries happened due to overworking. I believe Gordon and Anderson both have played very well and smart. There is a reason why Gordon takes 10+ 3s in a game sometimes because he doesn't want to overextend himself to the brink of an injury when the team doesn't need it. Come playoff time they both will be ready.

Harden has seen the playoffs his entire career so far. He'll know how to motivate the others.

And Harden's TOs are not that big of an issue. Too much weight is being put on that but he creates many more scoring opportunities then he does otherwise. Against OKC he had 25 assist opportunities. That is crazy.

9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Thank you for sharing this real post.

Batman Jones and bro2044 like this.
  10. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Remembering you from the ESPN board, I expect this kind of post.

Appears we've entered a very good year for HOU sports. Rockets now... then Astros incoming season... Texans won handily today. I'd be happy if they just lost within 10 points @ NE next week.

bro2044 likes this.
  11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This team seems tougher, mentally and physically than before.

bro2044 likes this.
  12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

D*mn Right
    I went from BEGGING for wins to expecting them
    Down 12 . . . We *CAN* come back instead of . . OH PLEASE OH PLEASE MIGHT LUCK LORDS MAKE A WAY!!!!

I have not been this optimistic about Houston Sports in some time

Rocket River

bro2044, Batman Jones and Houstunna like this.
  13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

How is it people keep saying "when defenses get tougher in the playoffs" as if that's a thing? What are we gonna do just play the same defense while 15 of 16 playoff teams magically improve their defense out of thin air? We're going to play tougher defense too and that is what will make up the differential.

The real question is, do you expect this team to be able to shift more effectively into a higher gear of defense and offense? It's a peculiar thing that teams can suddenly play better when they could have done it for the previous 82 games. If you ask me, it's the teams with the best chemistry, execution and creative strategy that will be able to make the biggest jump come playoff time.

I can't even visualize how this team can play better than they're currently playing, but then again I couldn't visualize this team being where it is before the season started. This group has something special, and I believe in these guys.

bro2044 likes this.
  14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I think fans are forgetting how well Anderson and Gordon played in the playoff against the Warriors. I think they will show when the time comes.

bro2044 likes this.
  15. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Looking at Gordon's injury history, his shooting more jumpers (he has done that for years) and only playing 30 MPG does not alleviate my concern. I totally hope he stays healthy of course, but there's a reason he came to us relatively cheap. There's nothing we can do to eliminate that risk. I continue to worry the injuries will hit when it matters.

16. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I've said this before but I'll say it again. Our defense wasn't good at the beginning of the year but if you were excited enough to actually watch the games, like all of them, you'd see that a very easy analytic is emerging. (I'm being playful by using "analytic.") In our 10 game win-streak, which we had with CC (now out), we were #2 in defense in the NBA. So here's the analytic: When they try on defense, they almost always win. And we are seeing more and more of that defensive effort.

Maybe you missed the last three games or so, in each of which our shots weren't falling and we stayed in and managed to win by playing absolute, lock-down defense when it was needed.

We have a defensive player of the year candidate in Beverley and Capela could grow into one too. He clogs the lane very well for us. But even without him this team has found a way to win with defense.

The notion that this Mike D'Antoni coached squad has a strong offense but a weak defense is badly outdated. It's what someone would say if they hadn't watched the games and was relying on a season preview feature to talk about the team. I agree that defense wins playoffs. That's why I'm so bullish on this year's team. They have grown into one of the better defensive teams in the league and it's not even the All-Star break yet.

Your post just tells me you're not watching the games or not watching very closely. Bzdelik has been a revelation.

Houstunna and bro2044 like this.
  17. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

[​IMG]

bro2044 likes this.
  18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The Jan games... struggle struggle struggle, sometime mighty, but wins. It show that they do have that extra gear to go too when necessary.

bro2044 likes this.
  19. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Anderson played well his last playoff series, but his postseason career is still very suspect. He's shooting .345 FG and .355 3PT