1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

19-year-old Okoye poised to join NFL

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by countingcrow, Jan 28, 2007.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

19-year-old Okoye poised to join NFL

By JOHN ZENOR, AP Sports Writer
    January 24, 2007

MOBILE, Ala. (AP) -- Louisville defensive tackle Amobi Okoye wants to be a top 5 pick in the upcoming NFL draft, help his team to the Super Bowl as a rookie and do a good job managing all that money.

Being able to legally grab a beer with his teammates will have to wait a couple of years.

The 19-year-old Okoye will become the youngest player to compete in the Senior Bowl, a showcase for senior NFL prospects set for Saturday.

"This is where I'm supposed to be," he said. "It's nothing new to me."

Besides, Okoye is hardly an unproven commodity. He signed with Louisville's Bobby Petrino as a 15-year-old in Huntsville, Ala., and grew into a muscular 6-foot-2, 312 pounds.

His resume reads more like a high-tech prodigy than a football player: College at 16. Degree in 3 1/2 years. Job interviews with a couple of dozen prospective employers.

He started school at age 2 1/2 , skipped sixth grade and entered high school in Huntsville at 12 after his family moved from Nigeria.

And now on to the NFL, where he'll be facing offensive linemen who were playing high school ball before he was born.

"I'm ready for it," said Okoye, a second-team AP All-American. "It's going to be a challenge. Every time a challenge has been put before me, I've always been ready to accept the challenge and just go out there and do the best I can do.

"It's a lot of money for a 19-year-old. But that was my whole motivation last year. I wanted to be a 19-year-old millionaire. Hopefully I'll be that."

Okoye is projected as a likely first-round pick, and some NFL mock drafts have him going in the top 10.

It only took one Senior Bowl practice for Okoye to make an impression on North coach Jon Gruden.

"It's really unbelievable. He went out there and was knocking people around. He didn't look like he was 19," said Gruden, coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. "I've just got a tremendous amount of respect for him and how he's been raised. He's obviously a very smart guy to accelerate his academics the way he has. He may be young, but he is not lacking any physical attributes at this point."

Even with his hat turned backward and a somewhat skimpy goatee, the massive Okoye doesn't look 19. But given his age, teams are also going to gauge his mental maturity along with those physical skills.

"When you look at the tape, the guy's an explosive football player," Gruden said. "He really has a chance to play. You just worry about what he's going to do at night, 10 o'clock with no bed check. That's what I worry about with a 19-year-old kid. I worry about that more than anything else."

Teenagers with fat paychecks have been far more common in the NBA and pro baseball.

Okoye, however, points out a significant difference. Those guys either are fresh out of high school or have minimal college experience. He has been playing college ball since his first year out of high school and has a degree in psychology.

"I think college is something everybody should go through," Okoye said. "I learned a lot in college. I learned a lot about life, and I grew."

"He's very mature," said running back Kolby Smith, a Louisville and Senior Bowl teammate. "He's aware of everything that's going on around him. Like they say, he's wise beyond his years."

Okoye has big ambitions. He's "shooting for the first five" draft picks. He would love to follow in the New Orleans Saints' Reggie Bush's footsteps and play for a winning team as a rookie.

"I'm sure he definitely enjoyed his first year going to the NFC championship game," Okoye said. "Maybe I can do something like that and maybe go even further than that, to the Super Bowl."

He's used to people wondering if he'll be able to handle a big leap in competition and pressures at such a young age.

Okoye said that when Petrino was asked about his youngest signee four years ago, the coach "said he was going to wait until I started shaving before he played me.

"I went out there and showed him my capabilities and my talent, and he told them he went out and bought me a razor."

He played in all 13 games as a freshman. But he also showed glimpses of his potential upside with a breakout senior season.

Okoye had 23 tackles and half a sack as a junior. Those numbers jumped to 55 and eight last season, earning him unanimous selection as first-team All-Big East Conference.

Okoye wouldn't mind rejoining Petrino and position coach Kevin Wolthausen, both now with the Atlanta Falcons. The Falcons have the 10th overall pick.

"(Petrino) helped me out with a lot of things and I helped him out with a lot of things," Okoye said. "I think we have a pretty good relationship. My old position coach is here, too. I saw him this week.

"Seeing him kind of brought a smile to my face."

2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

What is his projection round?

3. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

First...high teens, low twenties....

4. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Would definitely love to have him on this team, maybe trade down into the 12-14 range and pick up some extra first day picks. He just seems like a really great kid, as well as having one of the best motors I've seen in a while.

5. KAS13

KAS13 Contributing Member

Maybe we can trade mario Williams for him

6. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Sounds like a great kid, smart and good athlete, we need more of these types of kids in this country.

7. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Agreed.

From the thread title I first thought he had some relation to former NFL player Christian Okoye.

8. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I like this kid, but I think we should trade down and not take him at 8. Perhaps pickup a 3rd rounder.

9. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

I think that might be a little dated. Right now he's probably in the 8-15 range.

10. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

Seriously--I was wondering if they could re-make Tecmo in his honor.

11. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

He could be the new "Not-Nearly-A Nightmare." :rolleyes:

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I remember hearing he was 14 when he started playing football for Louisville. Figured it had to be incorrect.

13. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

This kid is a freak. He is a nightmare of his own right.

He's also very smart. Even if we use #8 on him, I wouldn't be upset. This guy is going to be good.

14. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

http://louisville.scout.com/2/172370.html

Q: It's been reported that you're related to former NFL standout Christian Okoye. Is that accurate?

Okoye: We're not really related. It's hard to explain it but this is the way my dad put it....back home you can lean over a fence and literally shake Christian Okoye's hand. I never got to meet him but my dad said when he was back home they were neighbors.

15. SLrocket

SLrocket Contributing Member

holy crap! this kid mustve been a boy genious or something!

16. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I haven't played it in two years, but at the time someone kept updating the Super Tecmo Bowl rom w/ updated rosters and ratings. They even had online leagues and tournaments. I'm too lazy to check, but I would bet it's still updated today. Tomlinson could be today's Bo Jackson.

17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I don't know about his age. He didn't come to the US until he was officially 12 but it doesn't matter if he 19 or 25. If he has the skills and maturity, he's going to get paid.

18. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

I think development/updates died a couple of years ago, but you can still get the game...

http://www.knobbe.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1937&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

http://www.knobbe.org/mx/index.php?page=3&action=category&cat_id=20

Edit: Of course, you might be talking about a different ROM... *shrug*

19. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

I have a Sporting News that claims Christian Okoye is his dad. I guess they should have checked their sources on that before publishing it.