1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

180lb dude that's in great shape VS a 125lb (flyweight) professional MMA fighter: Who wins?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JMAD21, Aug 21, 2016.

Tags:
?

Who wins?

1. 125lb pro

122 vote(s)
    93.8%
  2. 180lb dude in good shape

8 vote(s)
    6.2%
  1. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Been debating this all night with my brother. He thinks he could take a flyweight, I think he'd have no chance. He's pretty strong but has little to no fighting experience, but thinks the weight difference would be too much. I say he's underestimating the tactical aspect of fighting and would get picked apart.

Which is it?

2. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Define 'great shape'. And little to no fighting experience? Probably get his ass kicked.

3. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Demetrious-Johnson-45452

Demetrious Johnson trains with NFL athletes in MMA gyms and routinely kicks their ass. He's all of 5'3 and 125 lbs. during weigh ins. It would look like a really muscular kid was beating the ever living **** out of you but it would happen.

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Flyweight for sure. That is like saying a random men's high school tennis player can beat a top ranked female tennis professional. Unlikely.jpg

People always underestimate the caliber of a professional in any sport.

5. Dei

Dei Member

Average height for flyweights is 5'3. Even I think I can take those on.

6. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

You'd probably be better off fighting someone 5'10" at 125. Dude would be a toothpick. At 5'3", they have a decent amount of muscle.

7. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

define ; Gay

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

125'ers cut from 140-145 pounds, so they are a bit bigger.

Can a 180lb guy in shape take a punch in the gut or take a leg kick. Not sure about that one. Plus 125'ers are quick as hell and have endeless cardio, they will run circles around you until you gas out.

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Lol, the flyweight would absolutely destroy...and it wouldnt even be close. I'd say the match would be over within 15 seconds.

10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Weirdly enough I think this would be an easier call if it were a 125 pound professional boxer: endurance, evasiveness and quick hands would end it. If the MMA fighter has an honest to goodness belt ranking in BJJ or Muay Thai then it'd be easier to give him the win.

11. mikus

mikus Member

If he doesn't know how to fight, it's pretty much over in seconds. It doesn't matter how big you are, there are many ways to disable a human quickly that don't require overpowering strength and the MMA fighter will know all of them. The untrained person won't even know what parts of the body they should be protecting, proper fighting distance, even taking a proper stance, ie, he is completely helpless.

12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Love it when muscular or heavy dudes assume they can automatically beat up smaller people. That's not how fighting works, trained fighters will beat your asses 10/10 times.

Some of these heavy lifters etc with huge muscles punch like little girls because they just don't know how to properly do it and build up a point of impact.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

A man win a gun and a man with a knife.

That's as close an analogy as you have.

14. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Your boy would lose his teeth.

15. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I don't think that's a good analogy at all. Also, I was taught in self defense classes that in close quarter scenarios knives can be a lot more deadly than firearms. Primarily due to having to be readied, aimed, etc...by that time you've already been stabbed multiple times.

The reason I say it's not a good analogy is, if the guy has no fighting training a better analogy is someone armed with a couple small blunt objects (ignoring other weapons like elbows, knees, etc) vs someone completely unarmed.

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

He is probably close to 160 before he cuts weight. This one dude at my gym is a not fat 190 and he fights at 145. It is insane. He has cut 22 lbs this past month for his fight on Sept 16.

And to the OP your bro is an idiot. It is crazy how skilled these guys are. Tell him to go into a BJJ/MMA gym and have him roll with a skilled lighter weight guy and just laught at how badly he gets tooled. 185 really isn't that big at all. If he was 230 and very athletic then he would give people trouble, but he would still likely get choked quickly.

17. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

Your brother is flat out stupid.

No offense to your brother.

18. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I don't think it would even have to be a pro, frankly. A dedicated amateur with maybe 10+ years of experience should be able to handle just about anyone with little to no fighting experience, IMO.

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

The flyweight - if we're talking about a real professional MMA fighter - could probably end his life in under 3 minutes.

It's easy to talk **** about guys who are playing a GAME within a set of rules designed to protect life, brain, etc. I don't think your brother quite understands what that same guy would be capable of in a street fight where someone is trying to indiscriminately bash his head in, which is the only thing your brother could really do to protect himself in that situation.

20. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

They already did this in UFC 1 and 2. Royce Gracie was beating much bigger guys that were in great shape, and they were actually trained fighters in their fields, but they didn't know defenses against BJJ.