1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

17 year old Bristol Palin is knocked up!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bejezuz, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Palin could have said all along "I will never discuss my family matters in the press, period." She hasn't done that, in fact she has used her personal family events in public expression (e.g., discussed her Downs syndrome baby in the context of her anti-abortion stance and gifts from god).

It is a shame the daughter and 18 year old father have been brought into this (I wonder if he consented the public release of his name, personal situation with the daughter, etc). It seems the person with the most control of information about it has been Sarah Palin. Palin took the VP spot knowing the attention on her family it would bring and she/her company have been the ones talking about her family/ family decisions with the press and her political supporters all along when they didn't have to. If you are going to use your family and personal family decisions to enhance and inflate your persona and positions in a public way it very easily could cut the other way.

The losers in this are these 17 and 18 year old kids--and it can't be all blamed on a "liberal media". The sensationalist media have been a bunch of bottom feeding maggot for a long time (digging into any high profile persons' life and their family's lives--I guess we have the British to thank for that), but the other person with the most control of the flow of information has been Sarah Palin.

2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I wouldn't be too worried about 18 year old father, Levi Johnston. I think he can more than take care of himself. His myspace page says,

"I'm a f***in' redneck"

"Ya f*** with me I'll kick [your] ass,"

"I don't want kids"

3. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Wrong again, conquistadork...

http://www.salon.com/news/1998/06/25newsb.html

Some newspapers did not print the joke itself, just the fact that McCain had told a particularly nasty joke about the first daughter.

BTW, this article is from 1998, before McCain ever ran for anything other than the Senate.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

McCain said

"Why is Chelsea Clinton so ugly?
    Because her father is Janet Reno."

He meant it as a joke but at the very least it smacks of very poor judgement.

DD

5. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Sounds like a standard late teen meathead.

I would be dismayed at the run this kind of crap is getting if I wasnt already so disillusioned with the political process in the first place. :(

Here's repeating the obvious, but I gotta reiterate.

IT DOES NOT MATTER

Here's an idea.....if we quit caring about the stupid side stories as a people, maybe...just maybe the news organizations will quit talking about it.

The media will NEVER focus on the REAL issues until we force them to.

Its so f-in simple, why can't we do it? :disgusted:

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Infotainment makes loads more money than nitty gritty journalism.

7. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Oh, I don't know....maybe that if father's were more prevalent, and families were, as a whole, comprised of BOTH a mom and a dad, maybe stuff like this wouldn't happen as much. Maybe that if kids had more positive influences in their lives both familial and social, maybe stuff like this wouldn't happen as much. Maybe if these positive influences were more encouraging re: education and more demanding of the educational system, maybe stuff like this wouldn't happen as much. Same with gangs, drugs, etc. I can't disagree with that.

The point is that the more education and positive influences one has, the less likely one is to make mistakes. But the most important thing, in my opinion, is that if a kid does make a mistake that they KNOW that they have a loving family to support them. Palin has certainly earned my respect in this instance.

Where they (the Republicans) fail, imo, is when they say you can't teach any of this stuff in school. It ought to be handled both in the home and in the schools. In my opinion.

Story, yes. Issue, no. Is Palin is somehow less of a loving parent because of this? Its not like a teen pregnancy couldn't happen just because it gets taught in school. If it is taught in school, and still happens, do we say the system has failed? Do we say that Obama and the Dem's failed? Of course not.

Quoted for truth.

Look, a big part of where the Repub's lose me is in their sexual prudishness. I just wanted to be clear on that. That said, there's nothing WRONG with teaching abstinence. The party line for the right just isn't realistic about it.

Slight tangent: The Dem's don't get off easy, either. They lead the charge for censorship in music (Tipper Gore) and do the same for wanting to censor violent video games. As it stands today, the Repub's want to censor sex, but not violence and the Dem's want to censor violence but not sex.

Neither party gets off easy here in my book. Censorship is censorship, they each have their own pet platform, and they're both flat-out wrong.

8. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I'm fairly certain that knowledge was implied. :p

It's just a unrealistic dream of mine, it irritates me to no end every time this kind of crap is brought up and actually taken seriously by the media. They do it because we as a people will gobble it up, and the media just plays to that.

I hate it.

EDIT: Amen Lynus...Im with ya on your points in this.

9. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

The McCain spokesman sounded like a moron. If you are going to assert Palin has more experience as Obama, going to throw out words like "commander in chief", you're going to get called out on it.

Props to Campbell Brown.

10. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Biden to the press: "Children are off limits. Children...are...off...limits."

11. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

pedobear disapproves.

12. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

eh, ignore that last comment, I need a nap.

13. thumbs

Since you obviously missed my earlier post to Master Baiter: "Don't gloat too much. CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, ABC, CBS, NBC -- they all tend to do the same thing -- get a really weak spokesman on the air; slice and dice; and then sit back and chant: "See how I won. See how I won."

It's Dan Rather journalism at its worst.

14. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Kudos to both he and Obama for having some principles.

As long as they stick to the issues and keep coming out against the smear campaigns, they have more of my respect than any other politicians.

Until the inevitable time when they will have to act like normal pols that is. :(

15. thumbs

Biden is not a "pedobear."

I've never filed a report on anyone, but this gets me very close. The never mind "apology" is not sufficient. It needs a delete.

16. thumbs

Ditto.

17. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Except Tucker Bounds is a spokesman for McCain's campaign. He wasn't some random repub endorser. He is a SPOKEMAN for the campaign. And even he doesn't' have any facts to support Palin.

Your narrative is either wrong or McCain's campaign is again proving to be a disaster.

18. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hate to bring anything like this into the open, but "pedobear" is a meme over at 4chan. In fact, he's one of the most omnipresent ones. I don't think Benito meant anything by it, he was making an Internet joke. That having been said, do not go to 4chan. Ever.

19. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Go ahead and report it; I don't mind it being deleted, hence the post 30 seconds later. :rolleyes:

20. thumbs

He looked pretty young, and there is always a weak link in every herd. I've seen some weak ones representing Obama that got ripped apart. That wasn't okay with me either. Also, if you read my post just before this one, you will notice that I addressed that too.

Meanwhile, I am looking for a delete on calling Biden a "pedobear" or your "retraction" wasn't sincere.