1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

17 year old Bristol Palin is knocked up!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bejezuz, Sep 1, 2008.

1. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I don't believe ALL teenage mothers get on welfare programs -- regardless of their parents' income. However, I agree that families with greater income have a greater chance to help their children.

2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

What it sounds like.....

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Try this instead

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4jRhN5Et9QQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4jRhN5Et9QQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

thumbs, if you seriously think any single mother in texas has a child in order to "go on welfare," you really need to look up what the state of Texas shells out to single mothers with children. What they receive is a joke. A bad joke. If a woman in the Lone Star State has a child or two or three "for the money," then they need to be checked into a mental facility, because Texas is ranked at or near the bottom when it comes to "welfare." If anything, Texas should be hammered for paying so little in assistance to single mothers.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I can 100% guarantee that there are thousands of mothers that have children in Texas to go on welfare. Tons of times as one of their kids nears 18 years of age, they have another baby just to keep their benefits the same.

How do I know? My former college roomate and good friend has been a probation officer for more than 20 years, and he tells me that it happens all the time.

I don't doubt him one bit.

DD

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm with Obama..this needs to be off-limits. You can consider it all you wish as a voter...but we don't need the media talking about this and putting her daughter through anything worse than she's already having to deal with given the circumstances. It sounds like the Palin family is dealing with this in a good way.

7. thumbs

Thanks.

I agree. Like most Demo or GOP political operatives being grilled, this guy (whoever he is) wouldn't answer questions straight up and kept taking the rehearsed party line. Instead of saying, "Gee, there haven't been any Alaskan state crises like an earthquake or major storm where she had to mobilize the guard," he just bumbled on. He looked young. I hope he gets better at his craft.

8. DonnyMost

Welcome.

And yeah, it's one thing to defend your candidate with barely-related issue tie-ins... but to go straight after your opponent instead? That's just a flat admission of "I got nothin"

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

obama's saying the right thing, but the party of personal responsibility and family values made her daughter an issue before she was born unfortunately

two days ago it was just a story to me, but reflecting upon all the attacks of the right wing of the republican party on attacks of parents they don't even know over the years, i have no problem if someone bases their vote on this or if its discussed.

10. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Wow. WOW! The Repubs are shaking in their boots. They have no answers at all concerning Palin's foriegn policy experience.

Ho Ho Ho

CASE CLOSED!

brah

TIAOMGLOLZ

11. MadMax

I understand that line of thought....that's why I said I think it's certainly in the realm of what someone could consider when they're voting.

But I don't want to see this become the story of the campaign...I don't think that's fair to this 17 year old girl.

12. thumbs

Deckard, by injudicious extrapolation you are stretching what I said all out of proportion. There are some who actually do have children to increase their welfare checks -- they could care less about their children. However, I am certainly not saying all or even a significant portion of teenage and/or welfare mothers do this. I was merely pushing Lil Pun farther down the cynical road he/she was beginning to travel.

13. DonnyMost

I'm with you.

However, I think that the "family values" candidates should expect such scrutiny.

Hell, any candidate should take a good hard look at their family and ask themselves, "is this the right thing to do, for them"?

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

no it is not unfortunately.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I don't mean to be to harsh, but....

Maybe Palin should have thought of that before she accepted the post.

DD

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

that the other thing to this issue, she knew her daughter was pregnant and she still accapted this position knowing her daughter would be an issue (if she has any common sense)

she had no problem pimping the fact that her oldest son is on his way to iraq and she thinks mccain is the best commander for him.

17. thumbs

Don't gloat too much. CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, ABC, CBS, NBC -- they all tend to do the same thing -- get a really weak spokesman on the air; slice and dice; and then sit back and chant "see how I won. See how I won."

It's Dan Rather journalism at its worst.

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Why would anyone say this? Kids have sex. They aren't being watched 24/7 and they always think they know what is best for them. The perfect mother can't prevent a teenage pregnancy. People are having sex younger and younger. This is the reason why politics makes me sick more often than not.

19. MadMax

I agree with that. And pgabriel makes a good point about her talking about her son in a way to engender support.

I just know so little about this woman...literally nothing before this announcement was made.

20. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I was making fun of other posters who blow everything out of proportion.