1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[1560] Steve Francis traded to GRIZZLIES

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AggieDentist, Dec 24, 2008.

1. fogo11606

fogo11606 Member

Sigh..........................

2. worzel gummidge

It's clear he was not in the Rockets plans this season. With this trade there goes the hopes of Rafer being moved.

3. rocketslover

rocketslover Rookie

we could always contact Mutombo and give him an offer or get him to change his mind and donate to his hospital or whatever. I think we can pull this one off.

4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

well damn

i will say this the rockets better have another move up their sleeve to get Yao a suitable backup because giving up francis and a pick for a conditional second round is a steep price IMO.

I really hope the rockets handled it professionally because steve has been loyal to the team and I think he really wanted to win here.

Man I cant believe we gave up the second rounder that was going to be in the low 30s too, basically a late first rounder. I am scratching my head at this one.

also why does it seem that the rockets only do trades with the grizzlies and the hornets?

5. dafranchise0309

I really feel bad for him...the hopefully those Vancouver fans will forgive and take him in as their own

6. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Definitely a move to clear cap space to acquire a big man. I expect Deke to be back asap. I am a fan of Steve but we need a big man bad, its a layup drill for the other team when Yao is out. Good luck Stevie.

7. manhore

manhore Member

Too bad the trade didn't involve T-Back for Gay.

8. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Players don't get traded during Christmas. It never happens. Its a GM Golden Rule, you just don't do it. So I guess it had to be done and it had to be done now for some reason.

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Pretty sad how his career went Penny Hardaway instead of Grant Hill.

Memphis is where former stars go to die (Antoine Walker just did)

Good luck Franchise.

10. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Morey better get Deke or another quality backup center because trading away a second rounder + cash + Francis for a conditional second rounder is way too much.

11. Raven

Raven Member

Talk about a tough Christmas gift for Steve!

12. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Sure I do.

Are you going to put on the Inspector hat and research and investigate the posts that I'm not rude? There's plenty out there I assure you.

In the meantime let us rejoice this momentous moment and wait for our great GM to make another move.

....oh ok, good luck Steve-O. maybe the Grizz can let you go to the Super Bowl....

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Man, I really feel sad for Francis. I have never been a big fan of his game. But he has been loyal to Houston. It's just sad to see a guy like that turn out this way.

But it's a good basketball move. He has zero value to our team. And we need to money under LT to sign Mutombo. I think Deke harping on signing with another team just forced Morey to hurry up on getting rid of Francis.

:(

14. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Well, the man banked his money when he came here and chilled with us.

Oh, well....time for us and the Franchise to move on. Gonna miss your 24-second shot clock dribbling! :D

15. Crush

Crush Rookie

WOW.. traded him on Christmas Eve

16. TracyMcGreat

TracyMcGreat Member

bittersweet?

bitter= i really wanted to see Stevie play. could he have contributed? I'm not sure, but now we will never know. also for nostalgic reason i guess. i think he still had some gas in the tank. suns game last year.

sweet= open up some cap room. how much? 2+mill? get deke or waiting an offer for head to open more space to get a decent big if not mutombo. and we all know how much we need another big body.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I think it was also done FOR Steve, he is in a contract year and needs to show people he can still play (debateable) to get a new contract.

He should get opportunities in Memphis to prove he is healthy, he would not get that in Houston.

DD

18. King901

King901 Member

19. TracyMcGreat

TracyMcGreat Member

one more thing since i can't edit. WHY????????????

I know why but damnit! damn , damn, damn, damn, I'm sad. :mad:

We still love u Stevie!

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member