1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[1560 Approved] Top 10 Rockets Contributors of all time...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hayesfan, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Okay I am curious to see what everyone says about this.

As a new fan I won't participate, though I could tell you who I think would there since learning about the history of the team. :)

I think you probably have to start with the players who's jerseys are retired don't you?

p.s. Hard to say no to Robert Reid when he's standing in the studio ;)

2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

More than 10 for me....

Hakeem Olajuwon - The main reason Houston has 2 and only championships in any sports. Tooo many individual accomplishments to list....

Rudy Tomjanovich - Coached the championship teams and built a team and system around Hakeem.

Ralph Sampson - The shot that killed the Lakers in 86 Western Conference Finals.

Moses Malone - Took team to finals in 81. Also helped develop Hakeem at Fonde.

Robert Reid - Second leading scorer on team that went to finals in 81.

Calvin Murphy & Bill Worell- Calvin was a Sharpshooter and still hold record for FT% in season I believe. Calvin and Worell formed a good team (broadcasting) until Calvin pissed Les off.

Robert Horry - Hit numerous big shots and redefined PF position for Rockets after Thorpe was traded.

Clyde Drexler - Criritcal in Rockets winning second championship. One man fast break in the Finals.

Sam Cassell - Big shots in Game 3 of 94 Finals. Big games in playoffs against Suns, Spurs, and Magic.

Vernon Maxwell - Single handedly led the surge in second half of 94 Western conference finals. Rockets were down 0-2 in series and down at halftime in game 3 in Phoenix. Maxwell caught fire and changed the momentum of the series.

Kenny Smith - Was always a thorn against the Jazz in playoffs. Stockton paid for helping on defense. Also, big game in game 1 of 95 finals.

Charles Barkley - Accomplished one of the objectives he was brought in for - to help eliminate the Sonics in playoff series.

Mario Elie - The kiss of death. The shot that completed the 1-3 series comback in 95.

If I had to take out 3 to make it top 10, I would probably take out Worell, Murphy, and Barkley.

Honorary mention - Eddie Johnson for the game winning shot against the Jazz in 97 playoffs.

#2 Zboy, Mar 6, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'll go with:

Hakeem Olajuwon
    Moses Malone
    Yao Ming
    Calvin Murphy
    Rudy Tomjanovich
    Clyde Drexler
    Elvin Hayes
    Otis Thorpe
    Robert Reid'
    Tracy McGrady

4. Charles Jones

Charles Jones Member

1. Hakeem
    2. Moses
    3. Elvin
    4. Calvin
    5. Clyde
    6. Yao
    7. Reid
    8. Maxwell
    9. Scola (personal favorite)
    10. I guess McLady

5. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

hmm no particular order:
    hakeem
    rudy t
    moses malone
    calvin murphy
    clyde the glyde
    carrol dawson
    yao ming
    ralph sampson
    sam cassell
    robert horry
    mad max
    steve francis

6. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

This is easily the best list there is. For those that have added Yao and Tmac are fooling themsevles...you might as well add SF3 on that list too because he has done for us what Yao and Tmac have done. (a first round playoff exit)

7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Forgot to add Elvin Hayes. Started the great center tradition for the Rockets. Led the league in scoring in his rookie year and led the league in rebounding in his second year.

Also, I wanted to put Otis Thorpe and Carl Harerra in there. While Otis Thorpe did not have any outstanding performances, his solid as a rock presence helped Rockets win first championship.

Carl Harerra was a Knicks killer and he killed them in the finals.

8. Hayesfan

yeah but now you have to narrow it down to the top ten contributors... naming everyone who has contributed doesn't answer the question. :)

9. DaG.O.A.T

DaG.O.A.T Member

1 hakeem
    2 steve francis
    3 hakeem
    4 steve francis
    5 hakeem
    6 steve francis
    7 hakeem
    8 steve francis
    9 yao
    10 super von wafer

10. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I would go with.... (in no particular order)

Elvin hayes
    Moses Malone
    Ralph Sampson
    Hakeem Olajuwon
    Rudy Tomjanovich
    Clyde Drexler
    Robert Horry
    Sam Cassel
    Mario Elie
    Vernon Maxwell

I really wanted to get Robert Reid in there but to me, Hayes, Malone, and Sampson made larger contributions while not winning championships. And I could not get others off the list because they made vital and specific contributions to Rockets winning two championships (I listed what their contributions were, but if you want me to be more specific as to which games and when, I can list them as well).

11. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

Well, sure Yao has given us first round exits all the time, but he is the one that potentially put Houston on the map, so to speak. Not that Houston wasn't on the map before, but Yao has brought so much attention to the NBA, and to Houston.

12. BigVic785

BigVic785 Member

1. Dream
    2. Calvin
    3. Rudy
    4. Clyde
    5. Yao
    6. Elvin
    7. Steve "I built Toyota Center" Francis
    8. Sam I am
    9 Ralph
    10. Moses

Tracy is in here somewhere I don't know who to bump.

13. durvasa

When thinking about this, I started thinking about how successful the Rockets of late have been relative to the history of the franchise. The Rockets have only won at least 60% of its games (roughly 50-win season) 10 times, and they've gotten past the first round 12 times.

I'll award a point for winning 60% of the games and getting to the playoffs, 1 point for getting out of the first round, 2 more points for getting to the Finals, and an extra 3 point for winning it all. This is my way of accounting for the "success" of each era. I divide the history of the Rockets in the following way:

San Diego: 4 years, 0 points
    Pre-Moses: 5 years, 1 point
    With Moses: 6 years, 5 points
    Pre-Olajuwon: 2 years, 0 points
    Twin Towers: 3 years, 5 points
    Pre-RudyT: 5 years, 1 point
    Olajuwon-RudyT (contending years): 7 years, 17 points
    pre-Yao (stevie francis years): 2 years, 0 points
    pre-Tracy: 2 years, 0 points
    Yao-Tracy: 4 years, 3 points

Most successful eras:
    Olajuwon-RudyT (contending years): 2.4 success rate
    Twin Towers: 1.67 success rate
    With Moses: 0.83 success rate
    Yao-Tracy: 0.75 success rate

Not strictly related to the thread topic, but just something I was thinking about.

14. Hayesfan

It's related.. a quantitative analysis of contribution. :) good stuff.

15. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

If we were to go with these numbers and who I picked on my list, there is a strong correlation. The only exception being Elvin Hayes.

I don't agree with the small margin between "with Moses" and "Yao-Tracy" (0.08). The margin should be higher. Moses led the team to Finals. To me that's worth a lot more that regular season wins. If it were up to me, I would penalize for accumulating regular season wins but choking in first rounds.

16. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Hakeem
    Rudy
    Calvin
    Malone
    Hayes
    Cassell
    Elie
    Drexler
    Barkley
    Yao

Honorable mention: Chucky Brown, Mad Max, OT, Robert Reid

17. durvasa

Yao-Tracy definitely leads the way in unfulfilled potential.

18. Hayesfan

It would be interesting to take the point system a step farther and do each season individually. Then assign points to each player that was "part" of that season.

I'd be curious to see the "role players" who had the most success. Meaning those who were on the team in different "eras" but continued to be successful.

Of course this will automatically give benefits to those part of the championship seasons.

Edit: wow I put a lot of quotation marks in there. Sorry.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Hakeem
    Clyde
    Moses
    Hayes
    Murphy
    Rudy T
    Dawson
    Worrell
    Balke/Clutch
    Yao

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This is something I'd have to think about, but I think the players would all be the same in the end. You may rank them differently, but they'd all be up there. The 2 nobody's really mentioned that I think should be on the list are Gene Peterson and Jim Foley. Those guys saw just about every player you'll mention come and go. They were here for that sucky season most of the board probably never experienced ('82-'83) when Kobe Bryant's dad played for us, when Moses was here, when we drafted the Twin Towers, the championship years, etc. As a kid, I used to fall asleep at night listening to the Rockets listening to Gene do the PBP, and here I was in my 30's still listening to Gene do the PBP when I went back to Houston to visit friends and relatives.