1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

15 Years Ago Today: Eddie Johnson's Buzzer Beater in 1997 Western Conference Finals

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 25, 2012.

1. Rockfan

Rockfan Contributing Member

Also, the #1 song in the country was MMMBop.

1 person likes this.
  2. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Glorious '90s nostalgia.

What a decade. I'd do anything to go back. Grunge and alternative rock, Beavis and Butthead and The Simpsons, Windows 95, VHS tapes, Legends of the Hidden Temple, Pogs and Yo-yos, Goosebumps, and of course, the golden age of Rockets basketball.

3. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

Boy, I really miss Peterson and foley call the game. Such emotion.Anyways, I was 4 and probably watching Mexican telenovelas because that's all my parents watched.

4. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

That. Was. Sweet.

I loved that team and thought they had a real shot at the title.

Deckard likes this.
  5. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Can watch this until my eyes are bleeding

6. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I was doing the same thing! It's still one of my best sports memories. T-Mac's shot over Van Horn was close though. I was actually in Dallas for that one.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You have a great signature

8. Red&BlackPudman

I was there and it was amazing

9. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

OMG YOU ARE SO AWESOME!!!
    I love this moment!
    I remember watching this in the dorm with everybody and going nuts when Eddie hit it, and started running down the court as if he could barely believe it...
    The internet was still young when I would log into Clutchcity and hear this audio call.... and it gave me chills every time.

My eyes are leaking a little.

10. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

OH MOTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Goosebumps....was there in the UPN20 suite and it was the best memory of my life at a Rockets game.....amazing......

Richie_Rich likes this.
  11. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

I love Barkley's quote: "They said it wasn't life and death, I said you're right, it is more important than that."

That was a great collection of personalities -- from Dream, to Barkley to Clyde (not yet wearing headphones or embarrassing his alma mater) plus you still had Elie and Willis.

On the other hand I will always hate both the Utah Jazz and Matt Maloney.

12. Marteen

Marteen Member

I didn't know Greg Gumbel was an NBA announcer for NBC. That being said, let's hope D12 trade happens so they can return where they belong.

13. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

This is still one of my favorite Rockets moments to watch on tv (I was a little younger during the title years).

Deckard, DudeWah and Von Rafer like this.
  14. rockets13champs

Bro NBA was never on July 22. Regardless, I just want season to start already

15. rhinomft

rhinomft Member

I was sitting under the basket at this game 1st row after the aisle. I'll never forget watching that perfect shot splash through the net and the crowd erupting. It was deafening. Top 5 sports moment of my life!

Richie_Rich likes this.
  16. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

This was my favorite shot in Rockets history. What I love is the fact that it wasn't suppose to go to Eddie. And then stupid Matt Maloney didn't want to take the shot, thank goodness. Eddie shot it from 25 feet away and barely got it off. And I remember watching live on tv how long that ball stayed in the air. It felt like an eternity.

Deckard likes this.
  17. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

My brother purchased season tickets that year and frequently gave them to me & my mom.

Was at the game that night. The crowd was so silent and depressed coming into that possession. I remember standing and cheering trying to get other fans into the moment.

Once that shot left his hands it was obviously true. What a thrilling moment as the fans screamed in unison.

Deckard and saleem like this.
  18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I saw Eddie hitting that winner on TV. It was a amazing experience. True Houston Rockets basketball.

19. BleedsRocketRed

I was 16 years old then, and at the game that night. One of the most exciting moments of my life.

Unfortunately Stockton paid us back the next game. I still say we would have beat the Bulls that year without a doubt. Jordans Bulls struggled heavily against the Jazz and barely beat them while having the favorable matchup.

20. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I was 8 years old and at the game, I was also in attendance for the next home game......