1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

11 Games left, Change the Starting Lineup?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ultimate6thMan, Mar 28, 2013.

?

Who Should Start the Rest of the Season at PF?

1. DMo with TRob backing him up as is.

37.0%
  2. TRob with DMo backing him up.

33.2%
  3. TRob with GSmith backing him up.

14.7%
  4. TRob with TJones backing him up for at least a look.

15.2%
  1. Ultimate6thMan

Starting with Memphis next, there are ONLY 11 games left this season. It has become PAINFULLY obvious through multiple starts that DMo is just not ready to be a starter yet. It is EXTREMELY our weakest position, although PF has been all season long.

The question is, with TRob emerging, do we have enough time to insert him in the starting lineup to get any kind of consistency before the playoffs? I think so because DMo is really not opening up the floor with his spacing because teams are sagging off of him and giving him the open 3...because he can't hit it with enough consistency to be considered a threat right now.

TRob gives us energy and additional offensive rebounding, which is something that COULD help us with the poor starts that we have been having a lot lately. He may not space the floor, but he is also a good post up player and finisher going to the rim. Maybe DMo will do better going up against subs and having less pressure on him to play the starting PF where he is consistently collecting 2 early fouls in every first quarter. Hopefully TRob will learn from DMo's mistakes and try to stay out of early foul trouble.

Then the next question is does DMo, GSmith or TJones finally get to play backup PF? I would hate to ruin DMo's confidence because I still think he has a lot of upside, but if he can't get it together very quickly, I don't know if I don't give TJones some time since he has paid his dues QUIETLY in the DLeague. He is doing very well there and did very well in summer league, although that was a long time ago. I don't wanna see GSmith getting minutes at the PF because I believe that if he keeps playing well as he is, that he should backup Asik permanently and get a consistent 16 minutes off the bench with Asik getting 32 minutes. That will allow GSmith to give maximum effort without getting too tired and it also gives our best defensive player (Asik) the minutes he deserves and NEEDS every game to build his confidence and consistency going into the playoffs.

What do you guys think?

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I'd be happy with anything that gets DMo out of the starting lineup.

For all the Robinson hate around here, DMo has been just as bad, if not worse.

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Trob for me because his defense can help the team more now than Dmo's inconsistent 3 point shooting.

Either way they both have really good potential. Lets just hope Morey doesn't trade the wrong one because i'm sure he's going to trade one of them.

4. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Nah, no changes. Dmo in the starting lineup has still netted us a decent record. Plus Robinson in the lineup means everyone else will have to adjust to him not being a stretch 4 like Pat, Morris, & Motie. No need to do all of that with 11 games left until the playoffs. We shouldn't be forcing our players to adjust to a new starting lineup with 11 games left.

Things can change if Motie continues to really really stink it up, Robinson looks good, and we lose a lot. Otherwise lets just keep status quo.

1 person likes this.
  5. Normalus

Normalus Member

Stop debating, there is no post-up plays available for PF's in starting five. And since T-Rob has no 3pt range he will never start this season! I bet!

6. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

another not so cleverly designed thread to bash DMo. Some idiots just don't understand the game of basketball. I can't wait for you geniuses to start "bench trob" or "bench TJones" threads once they start screwing up, which they inevitably WILL since they are rookies (and TROB does enough of that in gametime as is).

We know the PF position is weak but it is weak because we have rookies manning the spot, and McHale's scheme forces them to be stretch-4s when all are post-up Pf types.. DUHR

DMO is playing out of position. To blame him for the Pacers loss when he only played 13 minutes or so is completely asinine. Yes, this thread is asinine. Why? Because the board will eat its words soon when DMo starts performing OR when another rookie starts screwing up.

just stop it

7. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

I never thought I would say this especially how TRob first few games went, but TRob is the best option at PF on the roster right now. I hope he can get a consistent jumper over time but we will get KILLED with Dmo against most of the front lines out there heading into the playoffs. Dmo weakness is very obvious and is becoming hard to overcome.

8. Ultimate6thMan

You need to take a chill pill, like meds today.

I'm not bashing DMo or calling him trash. I'm saying he clearly isn't ready YET to be in the starting lineup. That's not the same as saying he is no good or has no future.

I have been a DMo supporter all year long starting from summer league and wanted to see what he had to offer. Now that he has had his opportunity, he has shown that he still isn't ready.

The other rookies deserve a shot to see if they are ready. DMo is not a veteran that has earned his spot to play no matter what because of past performances.

He can work on his game this summer, take what he learned this year from starting and come back next year the better player for it. I wish him nothing but success as a Rocket's player.

But first and foremost for this season, I am interested in putting out there the best players that give us the best chance for success, as starters. He is not the best power forward currently on the team.

9. Ultimate6thMan

And no where did I blame him for the Indiana loss. The whole team minus Smith and TRob played badly at times. The worst player was the Coach.

10. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

I thought this was another Unbeverleyble thread... LOL

In all seriousness, I think it's too late to make drastic changes to the starting lineup. Plus, is who's in the starting lineup really that important? For example yesterday DMO only played 13 minutes, even though he was a starter. Lin only 20 minutes. Starting or not, really doesn't matter much.

11. tminusrex

tminusrex Rookie

dmo = back up center or bust

12. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

so why didn't the rockets get killed in the 10 games they won with dmo starting? Just curious how your logic works. You want trob to 'get a consistent' jumper over time when the way the stretch-4 best operates in the system is with a 3 point shot or at a minimum a consistent outside jump shot. Is trob the man for that? According to you, he doesn't have that ability yet. So i'm guessing you'll be calling for his head once his shots don't fall.

I don't think people understand the skillset of the different pfs on the team vs. the SYSTEM they are put in. TROB has had some success (but lets not go crazy here after 1 good game) as a post up/paint player. Guess what, he wouldn't work in that system--as currently construed--with the starters since the PF is designed to clear space for Harden and lin to drive in the lane, not clog it up. TROB actually benefits MORE by being in the second unit, but let's conveniently forget about the system that the Rockets play vs. our personal man crushes.

Seriously, the idiocy on this board just plain hurts. You guys will keep cycling through rookies and whipping boys until somebody sticks. Everyone wanted Patterson gone and clamored for DMo. Now Dmo has had a few down games and you want TROB. Next its TJones. You guys are like little three year olds who get bored with their toys and discard them for the next shiny object.

And for anyone who thinks the Rockets are a championship team this year, you are delusional. Taking DMO out of the starting lineup isn't going to allow the Rockets to fare any better against the likes of the Spurs, OKC, Nuggets etc. we might win a 1st round series--might--. But to suggest our ability to go far into the playoffs all hinges on a rookie PF is stupid.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

None of the PFs are ready, this is about the future.

Leave it as is, stop the revolving door, we need to let them develop, playoffs are secondary.

DD

14. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

and how does replacing a rookie with another rookie in the starting line up fix that? It won't. You'll have the exact same problems that you have currently. DMO and Trob have shown flashes of greatness and flashes of idiocy. Thats what rookies do--they lack the instincts that come with experience. Where's the wily veteran that will feed that need?

Its too late in the game to do that. You can blame Morey for trading patterson, or blame mchale for not seasoning dmo sooner during the season. What's done is done. With 10 games left or whatever, experimenting with the starting lineup is not prudent. Everything you are talking about is pertinent for the off-season and training camp. Sure if DMo still doesn't get a grip he could be supplanted, but i'm guessing the coaches are kind of out of options. They'll try to minimize the mistakes and have more creative lineups come in off the bench. You can't do any more than that. But why screw up a promsing kids career by jerking him from the starting position to the bench and vice versa..this team is young and they'll all go through mistakes together. I seem to remember harden, lin, and asik all having trouble in the beginning of the year adjusting to a starters role, it takes time. To expect a rookie--in a supporting role no less--to do it, is asking too much.

15. Ultimate6thMan

While I somewhat agree with what you are saying, this is about the FUTURE, so seeing what TRob can do with the starting lineup for these last 11 games and maybe playoffs will be a good way to help the front office decide what they really want to do in the off season.

It's improbable, but he could turn the corner and make them feel that he can develop into that starter they need at the PF next year instead of a high price Milsap or Smith for what they offer.

DMo won't be hurt by going back to the bench after starting a few games. He knows that he still have a lot to develop anyway. It's not like the chemistry with DMo in the starting lineup is so strong that you don't want to break that up before the playoffs.

The only chemistry is with our starting four of Lin, Harden, Parson and Asik.

16. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

The problem with Dmo is that when his shot isn't falling he gives the team next to nothing and the rest of his game suffers because of it. I've always felt defense and rebounding is what the team has lacked all year and if some one can bring that consistently, at this point that is the best person for the job. I'm not implying the Rox are in contention but like others have said, Dmo hasn't shown enough to warrant being sent out there no matter what especially if he is giving you next to nothing on certain nights.

17. Ultimate6thMan

I answered these questions in my previous post pretty much before I read yours, but to add to it, DMo has only started a handful of games. Replacing him now is not like we are blowing up a whole year of chemistry between our starters.

I agreed with the PPat trade because I wanted to see what DMo, TJones and TRob could do this year to help us determine what direction to go in next year.

We are NOT playing in the playoffs for a championship this year, so anything that we do to help determine our future is more important than what we expect in the playoffs.

Giving TRob a shot these last 11 games to me is more important than continuing to see DMo collect two fouls in the first few minutes of every first quarter. DMo can still get 20 minutes or so a game and have a better chance to improve his confidence by playing against the other teams subs. He can be more valuable that way and use his skills better against less quality players to hopefully build up his confidence again.

Your ranting and raving anger coming through your positions doesn't help to prove anything. These are all just our OPINIONS on a DISCUSSION board and the neither the coaches nor the front office will pay any attention to what we want or think is best for the team.

18. Sanity2disChaos

:eek:

It really is not important who starts.....BUT WHO FINISHES:eek:

19. tada

tada Member

I think we need to proactively play our PF position based on our competition. Clearly yesterday Hansbrough was manhandling DMO down the paint. In that case, I would immediately subbed in TRob or GSmith to guard Hansbrough to match physicality. But alas, McHale was either too stubborn or incompetent to see it and that cost us 1st quarter and the game. I like DMO and his overall offensive game. However, it's becoming clear that he's a liability in defense and boards against more physical competition. I think during playoffs what we need it not offensive production from our bigs as Harden/JLin do provide easy buckets for them. But, for our Bigs to protect the paint and get rebounds. Although there might be spacing problems for our offense with TRob/GSmith and Asik together, but during playoffs yesterday's type of game is more norm where opposing team will bring their intensity and it will be a physical game (especially down the paint).
    Also, enough with Delfino playing the PF position. He looks so helpless when trying to guard opposing PFs. Delfino should be playing his natural position which is SF and needs to provide breather/change of pace for Parsons or even Harden.

20. Ultimate6thMan

Very nice points.