1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1099 Business Question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BenignDMD, Apr 9, 2016.

1. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

I am moving back to Texas and will be doing 1099 work as a surgeon and am looking to start a PLLC or LLP. Can someone better explain to me the tax/legal implications of doing either?

My current understanding are that professionals cannot start a LLC in TX, has to be a PLLC. With the PLLC, you can elect S-Corp status for tax filing but cannot with a LLP.

I am speaking with a lawyer sometime this week, however wanted to learn more before the meeting. Planning on doing the paperwork and filing with Legalzoom or an equivalent.

2. le081488

le081488 Member

No matter what you choose, do it yourself. Was very simple and straightforward.

I went with a PLLC for my own personal 1099 work.

3. jcantu

jcantu Contributing Member

The real question is whether you should do sole proprietorship vs. all others. The false sense of security that PLLC/LLC etc versus the actual benefit may just be a waste of your time and money. Ask your lawyer which avenue makes the most sense.

4. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Go with whatever is cheaper and legal.

5. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

Thanks for the input - have a consult with a lawyer tonight.

6. jcantu

jcantu Contributing Member

what was the result of your meeting with the lawyer? How did he advise you?